Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Skew's SC400 GTE Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 02:00 AM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skew's SC400 GTE Build

After spending alot of time lurking around and reading members informative information i decided to make a build thread. It started like this....

Last summer i purchased a wrecked Lexus SC300(pictured below) and purchased a running lexus SC400 for $800. Its needs some body work but this winter it will be taken care of.

The Lexus SC300 had a GTE motor in it. It was also missing a few items once i finally purchased it. After spending a week or two reading how others did their swap i proceed to do mine. I removed the 1uz motor with auto tranny from the sc400 along with everything else that will no longer be needed. Installed the GTE motor as well as a single manifold, Turbonetics T series turbo, Greddy type RS BOV, 2 walboro 255lp pumps, I dont remember who makes the wastegate but the spring is set at 7 psi, Godspeed intercooler, All T-bolt clamps, vibrant couplers, HKS Fuel cut defender, APEXI Neo AFC, W58 Trans with a 6 puck. I tried to really stretch my money and make it an affordable swap. So far i am into it $5600.

I am running the stock 440 injectors, The car was dyno'd in August The temp. inside was @ 117 and at 12 psi 93 octane it put down 438hp and 399 tq. Looking at the sheet its powerband is a bit choppy i dont know if it is because of the way it was tuned, the heat or because i am running an AFC but i will be switching to a standalone. I will post a pic of the dyno sheet tommorow maybe you guys would know better.

About a week or so after the swap i took the car to the track to see what the car would do.

I know without posting the time slips my word may not be credible but it ran 13.3-12.9. And that was the lowest time i could get it before i decided to stop.

Other items that are installed on the car is a unpainted Vertex Rep bumper, sideskirts and rear bumper. TSW Jarama's 19x8.5 19x9.5 i dont know the offset but they came on the wrecked SC so i swapped them over minus the damaged one. Also i swapped a set a Supra seats as well. STACK Boost and Oil Press. Kenwood double Din, Tanabe Springs and tokico shocks. Laying in my garage is a set of Wilwood 6 pot with calipers and SS lines.

For Winter the car will be:
Painted
AC Shine Kit
WEDS KRANZE
Install Willwoods
SEM Black the interior
PBM or HKS Coilovers
and a few other items

Here is how she looks for the time being. Yes i know the primered bumper looks like **** and there are a few other areas requiring attention but i will be getting to those ASAP, but atleast the swap is done right? There still is a long way to go.

Old 11-20-11, 02:18 AM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very smexy! Can't wait to see the finished product
Old 11-20-11, 02:47 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

resurrection has never been so sweet
Old 11-20-11, 05:32 AM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Very nice project and congrats on getting it going.
Old 11-20-11, 07:54 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wait wait! So ur dailying this beast? It was my understanding that w58's blow up after 400whp?

And nice swap, I wish I had a sc400 with a gte swap.

Hey did you swap over your coolant tube on the turbo side to the ge one?
Old 11-20-11, 07:59 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Suscribed! Definitely worth the "read" keep up the hard work, can't wait to see more!
Old 11-20-11, 08:48 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It seems everyone is doing the swaps. I wish mine was closer to being done now in 400. Looks good man and i would be happy with the dyno results also.
Old 11-20-11, 09:34 AM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VINCE9164
Very smexy! Can't wait to see the finished product
Thank you
Originally Posted by Kaydee
resurrection has never been so sweet
Its funny you say that, i thought about naming this post the resurrection.
Originally Posted by Mr.1.5
Very nice project and congrats on getting it going.
Thank you, how are you liking your GS400 Diff?
Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Suscribed! Definitely worth the "read" keep up the hard work, can't wait to see more!
Thank You, This upcoming week will be hell replacing the timing belt with an HKS, water pump, cam seals and resealing the oilpan. Good thing there are so many Write-ups on how to.
Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
It seems everyone is doing the swaps. I wish mine was closer to being done now in 400. Looks good man and i would be happy with the dyno results also.
Thank you and yes there is but the great thing about it is since they are becoming common the more expensive parts have come down in price. As well as learning what set up to run from others experience. I will be searching the garage today for the Dyno Sheet.

Last edited by Skew; 11-20-11 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-20-11, 09:47 AM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by megamax
Wait wait! So ur dailying this beast? It was my understanding that w58's blow up after 400whp?

And nice swap, I wish I had a sc400 with a gte swap.

Hey did you swap over your coolant tube on the turbo side to the ge one?
Lol. Yes, i daily this beast. I have read on here and on the Supra Forums of people in the 550-600 range still using the W58. I have had no issues with mine (knock-on wood). If i could do it all over again i would have just gotten a SC300.
Old 11-20-11, 10:56 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

but you picked up the 400 because it was cheaper right?? thats what i did. how many miles was on youres as the link dosent work for me.
Old 11-20-11, 11:13 AM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

but you picked up the 400 because it was cheaper right?? thats what i did. how many miles was on youres as the link dosent work for me.
Yes in a way it was cheaper i had to purchase a few parts like compressor, lines, ect. for the A/C.
I believe it had 121xxx on it when i purchased it. How is your swap coming along?
Old 11-20-11, 11:41 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

well none will tell me if i need the ge water line comming from the water pump or keep the gtte water line. other than that iam just a simple $3,500.00 max (including tax,registration,and a new windshield). from getting my car running.

other than that just a slow as hell progress. i should have my mk3 supra clutch pedal sitting in my mailbox so iam going to mount and see abt the fittiment on that next week.

but next up is water pump and getting a clutch kit. now did u use the throw out bearing from the kit or you used an oem one??
Old 11-20-11, 12:35 PM
msc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

looks good congrats
Old 11-20-11, 03:03 PM
Skew
Driver School Candidate

well none will tell me if i need the ge water line comming from the water pump or keep the gtte water line. other than that iam just a simple $3,500.00 max (including tax,registration,and a new windshield). from getting my car running.

other than that just a slow as hell progress. i should have my mk3 supra clutch pedal sitting in my mailbox so iam going to mount and see abt the fittiment on that next week.

but next up is water pump and getting a clutch kit. now did u use the throw out bearing from the kit or you used an oem one??
I believe i kept the gte line for the water pump. i used the oem throw out bearing while the trans was off i did swap the clutch fork, clutch fork support and release bearing. I dont know if you were going to or already have but its definatly something worth looking at.

Originally Posted by msc300
looks good congrats
thank you
Old 11-20-11, 04:05 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

moar on why you swapped out the clutch fork??? and support and release bearing??

Quick Reply: Skew's SC400 GTE Build