Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Battery dies intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 03:06 PM
hibby50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dies intermittently

Hey everyone. I just got my first car and it's an sc400. I am in love with this car but there's one major issue i'm having (along with a bunch of minor ones.) So far this has happened 3 times. I put the key in the ignition, the steering wheel lowers, i turn the key and all of the electronics completely die. the car doesn't make a sound and all of the lights go out. To fix it i pop the hood and jiggle the battery and everything fires right up. The battery is new (sticker says august 2011) but the thing is it isn't strapped down and it looks like its too small for the battery compartment. Could either of these be the issue? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-17-11, 03:16 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

tighten your connection......
Old 11-17-11, 03:45 PM
hibby50
Driver School Candidate

thx for the suggestion, just went out and checked and one of them was a tiny bit loose. IDK if it was enough to make a difference but hopefully it did and it wont happen again. srry im a total noob with cars
Old 11-17-11, 05:15 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no prob, i used to be in the same shoes. gotta start somewhere
Old 11-17-11, 05:32 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah slightly loose will do it...my eclipse got a little loose and just a minor bump would kill the car. Also make sure theres no corrosion/gunk on the terminals
Old 11-18-11, 11:09 PM
deviat
Driver School Candidate

What it is - The tiny connection made by the loose connector is enough to power a few things because that small connection can flow just enough amps to move your steering wheel and turn on a light or two, but apply anything else and the voltage drops too low. This is just one reason why the connection is almost a complete 360 around a battery post. Tightening it up will definitely fix most of the problem, as far as the battery being too small, verify the part number from where it was purchased with what they recommend as a replacement. The SC400 as far as I know has a few different groups of batteries that can be used. And you really should get it strapped down, flying and exploding batteries are never a good thing.
Old 11-23-11, 09:03 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

i think we all have had a problem like this before, i had to wiggle some things around when i was doing my fmic install, i was 16 at the time as well and i forgot to tighten up the battery, and i thought my car was in serious trouble, so i take it home and kinda just checked everything, and of course the last thing i check is my negative terminal and i could pull it off with my hand without touching the bolts. Anyways was that all of your problems man?
Old 11-28-11, 10:01 PM
nandob
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deviat
What it is - The tiny connection made by the loose connector is enough to power a few things because that small connection can flow just enough amps to move your steering wheel and turn on a light or two, but apply anything else and the voltage drops too low. This is just one reason why the connection is almost a complete 360 around a battery post. Tightening it up will definitely fix most of the problem, as far as the battery being too small, verify the part number from where it was purchased with what they recommend as a replacement. The SC400 as far as I know has a few different groups of batteries that can be used. And you really should get it strapped down, flying and exploding batteries are never a good thing.
Im having the same issue, I've already tighten up everything un hooked my relay to my fogs and that helps but as soon as I hit a major bump or just driving down the highway the car dies. Its not fun driving at night trying to make it home and your lights are flipping on and off and eventually your car dies, you have to stop and go under the hood jiggle to positive terminal and hope you get power.
HELP A BROTHA OUT!
Old 11-28-11, 10:43 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your car lowered?? Have you checked the harness in the fender well yet?
Old 11-28-11, 10:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Definitely battery connection is loose.
Old 11-29-11, 10:08 AM
nandob
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Is your car lowered?? Have you checked the harness in the fender well yet?
I've checked my harness no broken wires. I've reinstalled my fender well covers. I hate the rubbing sound I gotta protect it till I move it. I am gonna try new battery post to see if that will work. I just put a new alt so that's not the issue.