Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 09:44 AM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!

I was on my way home earlier this morning around 3am and while using the surface street I hear a gurgling like noise from the passenger side. Then it sounded like some kind of fluid was rushing down. So I kept my eye on my temp gauge and it was in the middle, but started to rise just a hair then go back to normal driving temp. I figured I would check it once I got home, so I used the freeway to get home faster (only drove 60 though). Temp gauge stayed at normal temperature. Once I exited the freeway and was almost home, I hit a red. Smoke was coming out of my bay.. good thing I was almost home without getting stranded.

I opened the hood and white smoke was coming from a particular place. I can't tell exactly where, but it was either above or beneath the oil filter (circled in red in the picture). That seemed to be the source of the smoke. I also had to put cardboard because my car was leaking.. looked like water with a hint of brown tint. Also had fluids splash all over the engine compartment.

I've read somewhere that if the smoke is white, it's my head gasket and water pump that needs to be replaced. Can any CL experts confirm this or give me a quick diagnosis, and a reason to why this happened? Don't know why my SC started to overheat to begin with since it's close to 50 degrees here in socal during winter nights/early mornings

Thanks any help is appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!-dscn1335.jpg   Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!-dscn1334.jpg   Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!-dscn1333.jpg   Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!-dscn1336.jpg  
Old 11-08-11, 09:50 AM
sc4fanatic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you may have a busted radiator? let it cool down, start it again, and try to pin point the leak as the pressure builds. GL....

Engine creates heat, coolant circulates that heat to the radiator which in turns cools the coolant. this continues until the engine is turned off. Now even though you turn the engine off, it is still producing heat. This is un-circulated hot coolent which builds pressure and heat causing your temperature gauge to rise. As for location of the smoke; 2 things to note: 1) a pinhole leak will spray the engine bay with coolant and as you are driving air will spread it all over. 2) the hottest part of the engine would be the exhaust manifold, thus creating smoke from the bottom rear. GL....

Last edited by sc4fanatic; 11-08-11 at 11:23 AM. Reason: more info.
Old 11-08-11, 10:10 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you check the level of your coolant? I think your clutch fan might have died. If you are not a mechanic or have a mechanic friend to help you out, then bring it to a professional to diagnose. If the gasket is blown, you have a tough decision on your hands.
Old 11-08-11, 10:37 AM
Whoareu
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check to see if you radiator has any leaks this happened to me but i was driving on the fwy and my radiator cracked on top.
1. make sure it has water, check to see if radiator is circulating.
2. check bottom hose to see if they are old and need changing.
3.turn on car to see if u can determain the a leak or the problem

hope it helps if it was the head gasket white smoke would come out the exhaust and ur heat gauge would fluxuate how many miles do u have. not an experts but hope it helps
Old 11-08-11, 10:48 AM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Just got back from a 10 min drive and the source of smoke was now coming from the right side.. near the transmission dipstick. Really hard to tell where the smoke was coming from since it's sunny outside..

EDIT: Smoke was probably caused here as wind blew in. So it seemed as if the source was located here.
Attached Thumbnails Need expertise help. SC400 Overheating!-dscn1338.jpg  

Last edited by VINCE9164; 11-08-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 11:05 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

sorry im at a loss , only advice I can give is what Tabaka already said which is to bring it to a proper mechanic.

Ive been in your situation before and it only makes things worse trying to diagnose issues on your own if you dont have a mechanical backround.

There is no way that this diagnosis should be more then 1 hours labour from a mechanic, just bite the bullet and get it done properly.
Old 11-08-11, 12:04 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

Coolant level was low, so filled it with some water and it started steaming from the radiator. Like
Whoareu, it was cracked on top. Took it to the mechanic to get it diagnosed even further and I need to get my radiator, hoses, and thermostat replaced for $550 all brand new

Is this decent price for parts/labor?

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Did you check the level of your coolant? I think your clutch fan might have died. If you are not a mechanic or have a mechanic friend to help you out, then bring it to a professional to diagnose. If the gasket is blown, you have a tough decision on your hands.

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
sorry im at a loss , only advice I can give is what Tabaka already said which is to bring it to a proper mechanic.

Ive been in your situation before and it only makes things worse trying to diagnose issues on your own if you dont have a mechanical backround.

There is no way that this diagnosis should be more then 1 hours labour from a mechanic, just bite the bullet and get it done properly.
Old 11-08-11, 01:38 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

If it's all of the above plus labor then yes. It's a good idea to go ahead and get the main belt belt replaced as well now since it's been covered with Coolant so it's now more likely to degrade or worse snap eventually.
Old 11-08-11, 01:43 PM
sc4fanatic
Driver School Candidate

that's about right, if you get a good radiator, not a hard job... everything is upfront....
$200-250.00 - radiator
$40 - thermostat
$10- 15 hose
labor $150-250?

gl...
Old 11-08-11, 01:59 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a new radiator a few weeks ago online for $125.00
Bought a new Toyota Thermostat from the dealer (paid too much) $25.00
Bought new Toyota Coolant $25.00

Dude, these guys will tell you that I'm not a mechanic. I always send this car to the shop when something is wrong, and even I was able to change those two parts. Best of luck sir, $500 is a fair price including labor.
Old 11-08-11, 09:11 PM
VINCE9164
Lead Lap

So everything was replaced at the local Mobile shop. However, motor is still overheating.. seems like the coolant isn't transferring from the block through the hose and into the radiator and circulating? Mechanic opened the oil cap and white smoke was appearing. He said there could be water inside the block..

Tomorrow morning he is removing the thermostat to see if it could improve circulation. Sigh, this has been a really depressing day. If the motor needs to be replaced, I will need to sell it the vehicle, because replacing it is not worth it in my opinion.

Hopefully, there's good news tomorrow morning
Old 11-09-11, 03:56 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

It's possible that you may have over heated the motor to the point that it popped a HG, however, if you weren't in the red then that doesn't sound rite.

White smoke out of the oil cap could be many things, now, having a white milky substance on the bottom of the could be coolant.

If he's a real mechanic he'll be able to do a pressure test on the cooling system to determine this, not judge by smoke.

If coolant sprayed everywhere, it will definitely take a bit for it to burn off and heat up off everything. It's the reason why I said to replace the main serpentine belt as well, it makes it weaker when touched with coolant.