Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electronic Exhaust Cut-Outs Pros and Cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-12, 05:03 PM
Anferny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been successful with this mod?
Old 08-09-12, 07:31 PM
TexLexSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anferny
Has anyone been successful with this mod?
Also curious.
Old 08-09-12, 10:00 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

I know from experience it works well with mustangs and f bodies...dont see why an sc would be any different
Old 08-10-12, 05:57 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

i ended up doing a full custom 3" exhaust on my 1j.... but im still going to do this on my magnum. ill let u guys know how it went. i just havent had the time.
Old 09-10-12, 04:56 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HiPSI
I ran an older model of the QTP before. Some of the negatives include:

- Not always the best seal when closed so it can sound like a slight exhaust leak constantly. There are various different models now with some designs incorporating better sealing units but I don't have any first hand experience with the new designs.

- Depending on how it's installed it hangs lower and more susceptible to hitting especially with some of the slammed guys on here who drag frame. QTP does however now make oval low profile units in 3"
http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/OVAL/

- They fail! I had to chase after the plate in the street randomly one day when it decided to give. To remedy this alot of the new plates are welded to the center shaft. These cutouts are not designed to withstand daily driving abuse with cold weather / snow / salt harsh conditions. The general consensus is go with the cutout with the longest warranty!

Race ready performance has lifetime warranty on their cutouts but they are more expensive. Also they will not cover warranty if they see signs of abuse / scraping carnage on the body of the unit.

http://www.racereadyperformance.com/

All the negatives aside, the cutout will allow full open unrestricted exhaust at a fraction of the cost of a full exhaust. You can run a stock cat-back, stock resonator to midpipe and then dump the exhaust. You don't have to worry about hassling with cops daily because you appear and sound stock 99% of the time.

The downsides are worth it is what I'm trying to say as long as it's mounted properly and you go with a unit that is reliable and warrantied. On a stock sc300 or sc400 it would be purely just for the sound as I doubt it would really add any power. An NA-T setup or GTE swapped turbocharged sc300 would benefit the most from the cutout. I will be adding a 4" cutout to my 4" midpipe .

And they shoot flames.....

If you've got the coin, Sound Performances boost actuated unit is really the way to go. It allows a hands free instant opening cutout when you need it at WOT. The one major gripe I had with the electronic unit was that I felt like I had to open the valve before I could have any fun. SP's unit allows you to just focus on driving and not pushing buttons.
The minor increase in Race Ready's cutouts seems worth it for the warranty (about $40 per cutout), just install it carefully if you are very low or go over speedbumps regularly.

The Sound Performance kit seems like a good idea, except it doesn't open until after boost is made. If you wanted the best performance you'd open the cutout prior to boost or right when it started to build.

Per SP: "The Boost Cutout begins opening at 5psi and is fully open at 11psi. The Boost Cutout is about 90% open at 7-9psi."

Good for top end/after boost has built, but to aid spool you'd want it top open early/prior to boost.

There are of course ways to make that happen.