Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

the single life!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 03:10 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the single life!!!

So guys pondering just scrapping my twins and getting a hx40? I wanted to have one single turbo car(my current srb13) and a twin turbo car my 1jzsc400(the j.a.n.s project). I know the single will set me back another grand at least. And iam sure I will max out the stock yellowtop injectors. And I will need bigger detuchwerks injectors and a damn map ecu earlier than I had planned.

Questions is have any ot u guys had "single turbo remorse" ditching the stock twins? I don't want 400whp, yet. But if I do make it to txk12(the goal in life right now). I don't want to be that slow.
Old 10-27-11, 03:23 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not I every time I push the go pedal all I can do is smile.
Old 10-27-11, 03:30 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

I love mine. The lag just makes people think it's faster than it really is. And spool is just a downshift away.
Old 10-27-11, 04:06 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Megamax...PM if you're interested in some injectors. I have a set of Bosch 680cc injectors of my Supra Turbo. They literlly have 200 miles on them since they were cleaned / flowerd by witchdoctor. Dave
Old 10-27-11, 04:47 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

At times I miss my twins. They were less maintainance, stockish look for us cali guys, no need for tuning, spool when needed, fun all around. Now that I'm single I am happier for only one reason "the power"
Old 10-27-11, 05:23 PM
Arkansas
Pole Position

I wisb I was single again..........
Old 10-27-11, 06:26 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by soardrft
At times I miss my twins. They were less maintainance, stockish look for us cali guys, no need for tuning, spool when needed, fun all around. Now that I'm single I am happier for only one reason "the power"
^^^ what he said!
Old 10-28-11, 05:10 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry but I have to disagree.

I still don't have my car on the road.

My 1jz is a 1996 unit with 18k miles.

The twins blew up just starting the car occasionally from the wiring task.

Not to mention they are in the most convoluted mess of bolts I have ever tried to stick my tiny asian-like hands into.

I switched to a Holset HX35 for one reason, Reliability! You can't kill Holset turbos!
Old 10-28-11, 10:57 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

i question this also. as ive had a twin turbo car before. and it was way more expensive because you have to buy x2 of everything vs one..
Old 10-28-11, 11:17 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spoolxexo

Not to mention they are in the most convoluted mess of bolts I have ever tried to stick my tiny asian-like hands into.

I switched to a Holset HX35 for one reason, Reliability! You can't kill Holset turbos!

and how does that 35 spool and what kind of power are you making??
Old 10-28-11, 12:26 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spoolxexo

I can see why you and others hate twins. Best thing is to check them when its all out of the car. Replace the seals on the old turbos with turbo sealer or a seal kit, use 2jz y-pipe so the routing of the exhaust flow does not get forced down the same pipe near the turbo causing the rear turbo to go out, run a heavy oil only when needed, don't boost over 17lbs daily, and before you put the motor in make sure all wiring is correct. but this is how my twins lasted so long. And it was used for street and track. I like my singles don't get me wrong, but twins were lots of fun and some days I miss them.
Old 10-28-11, 01:43 PM
g-magoo
Pole Position

Funny this thread came up, my twins are pretty much done. I do like the fact that my twins are OEM and semi-reliable, plus lag is pretty much non-existent.... BUT, Im now going to the HX35 as well, its not OEM and might require a bit more attention but knowing that I dont have to deal with those stupid twins again is worth it. Plus who doesnt want more power?

As for injectors, keep it simple, just run either jdm 2j 440's or usdm 2j 550's.
Old 10-29-11, 09:07 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by g-magoo
Funny this thread came up, my twins are pretty much done. I do like the fact that my twins are OEM and semi-reliable, plus lag is pretty much non-existent.... BUT, Im now going to the HX35 as well, its not OEM and might require a bit more attention but knowing that I dont have to deal with those stupid twins again is worth it. Plus who doesnt want more power?

As for injectors, keep it simple, just run either jdm 2j 440's or usdm 2j 550's.

now with either of those injector choices you need to reflash the ecu correct?? and what kind of feed/return lines does the jz uses with the hx??
Old 10-30-11, 05:01 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see why you and others hate twins. Best thing is to check them when its all out of the car. Replace the seals on the old turbos with turbo sealer or a seal kit
I'm sorry, but I gotta stop you right here.

Have you ever replaced seal on a turbo with ceramic turbine wheel that are 20 years old and have not broken? I haven't either! So you break the glue at the end of the turbine wheel, it falls off and game over.

Twins are not reliable.

There is not ECU re-flash for our ECU's. Gotta use a piggy-back.

The thread pitch for the HX35 is 12 x 1.50mm, and the oil feed off the JZ block is 12 x 1.25mm.
Old 10-30-11, 08:21 PM
megamax
Lexus Champion

thanks for the thread pitches. but what about the return tube?? you know the aluminum 2 bolt tube.

Quick Reply: the single life!!!