Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions- 2JZ swapped SC300 for TST Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-11, 06:22 PM
SmokingTre
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions- 2JZ swapped SC300 for TST Car

Hey everyone,

I just joined clublexus. My name is Zack, I'm one of the writers and producers of the online car show "The Smoking Tire." Some of you might have seen our show, some might have heard of (or met) Matt Farah. He's one of the hosts of "The Car Show." Or, you're saying "Who the f is this guy and why am I reading this?" Valid statement.

We're going to be putting up our reviews in a thread in the future. Some will be videos, some written reviews, some will be my angry rants (yes im single, why do you ask?).

BUT, right now I need your help. We have an offer to acquire an SC300 with a 2JZ in it. I am 100% for this idea, because it has "2JZ" in it. And a 2JZ is awesome in everything. They should put one in the next Julia Roberts movie, so that it doesn't suck.

I don't know a lot about these swaps, and I'm going to bury myself in this forum tonight, but if you guys have advice on what we should ask the seller, look for, etc, that would be great. Maintenance issues, boost problems, things to watch out for, etc. This would become our site/show's car. I'm pretty handy with wrenching, but I don't have an OBD I machine or a dyno at my house, so we don't want to end up with a time bomb. Any advice you have would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by SmokingTre; 10-13-11 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 06:45 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds good...but the sc300 already came with a 2jz from the factory...unless the car is the 2jz-gte, it's just liek any other sc300 out there
Old 10-13-11, 06:53 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I really hope it's a 2jzgte because this guy REALLY got his hopes up right now lol.

Good luck man... and ask the guy what maintenance he has done on it like rear main seal, cam seals, valve cover gaskets, water pump, timing belt, just to name a few.

Check if the power steering pump is leaking or if the power steering rack is leaking (common issue).
Old 10-13-11, 07:18 PM
SmokingTre
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kaydee
sounds good...but the sc300 already came with a 2jz from the factory...unless the car is the 2jz-gte, it's just liek any other sc300 out there

Sorry, that's what I meant. I just say 2JZ because I'm never not talking about the Supra motor. I didn't know both engines had the same designation for first 3 letters/numbers. It's a 2JZ-GTE swap. Our camera man found the guy, but hasn't sent me the link to the ad. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Are there any swap-specific issues to worry about? I'll research the motor and mods separately, but swapping has varying levels of difficulty, depending on the build. Is it a straight forward procedure for the SC300?

Thanks a lot 97-SC. I'll ask him about all of it. We'd be test driving it next week.

Last edited by SmokingTre; 10-13-11 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-13-11, 08:22 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTre
Sorry, that's what I meant. I just say 2JZ because I'm never not talking about the Supra motor. I didn't know both engines had the same designation for first 3 letters/numbers. It's a 2JZ-GTE swap. Our camera man found the guy, but hasn't sent me the link to the ad. I'll post it as soon as I can.

Are there any swap-specific issues to worry about? I'll research the motor and mods separately, but swapping has varying levels of difficulty, depending on the build. Is it a straight forward procedure for the SC300?

Thanks a lot 97-SC. I'll ask him about all of it. We'd be test driving it next week.
I'd ask him how he went about doing the wiring harness or if he had a third party do it for him. There's not a great deal of information on doing the wiring harness on an SC300 with a 2JZGTE and it's alot more complicated than 1jz harness which only needs to be extended. Lots of times guys cut corners and hack up harnesses and half the stuff doesn't work like A/C for example.

I'd also ask him where he sourced the engine, whether it's a jdm motor or a usdm motor and inquire as to what he has done on the engine (in case it's a jdm motor) when doing the swap for example upgrade to USDM components like 550cc injectors US cams, US turbos, etc...

If it's an automatic, you can always use that as a bargaining tool and point out that the autos are only limited to something like 350-400 reliable rwhp.
Old 10-13-11, 08:35 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome Zach, looking forward to your build and rants!
Old 10-13-11, 11:35 PM
SmokingTre
Former Sponsor

Here's the details on the car:

Im selling my 92 sc300 with a twin turbo supra and r154 5 speed tranny motor/trans has 65k on them and these things are bullet proof. forged internals good for 800hp. i got it i have completely redone the interior all it need are new door panels to be 100%.

it is all new black leather seats, dash and everything has been redone new tires with about 200 miles on them new tie rod ends and a full meagen suspension cost 1800. It has a complete 99 front end, roller fenders, full custom 3 inch pipe header back, 3 piece racing hart rims cost 5500, hks ssvb blow off, godspeed fmic, new air filter plugs, brand new detachable steering wheel, new fosgate speakers, yellow top injectors, obx boost gauge, greddy profec 2 dual stage boost controller, soarer A/T ecu new hood and truck struts. Straight body and good paint round this car out i will look at trades but they will have to be equal to 10,000 i have to make somthing to make a trade worth it
Old 10-13-11, 11:40 PM
SmokingTre
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Welcome Zach, looking forward to your build and rants!

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'll run these questions by him tomorrow.

Here's some rants, and a video, for anyone interested.

Camaro ZL1 induces Nationwide Orgasm (except mine).

Rant on the new M5's stupid fake exhaust note.

Video: We had a Cadillac CTS-V Wagon. We took it to El Mirage dry lake bed to race it against a modded C5 Corvette up to around 180 MPH. We also decided to call On Star during. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hUYz...el_video_title
Old 10-14-11, 12:00 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTre
Here's the details on the car:

Im selling my 92 sc300 with a twin turbo supra and r154 5 speed tranny motor/trans has 65k on them and these things are bullet proof. forged internals good for 800hp. i got it i have completely redone the interior all it need are new door panels to be 100%.

it is all new black leather seats, dash and everything has been redone new tires with about 200 miles on them new tie rod ends and a full meagen suspension cost 1800. It has a complete 99 front end, roller fenders, full custom 3 inch pipe header back, 3 piece racing hart rims cost 5500, hks ssvb blow off, godspeed fmic, new air filter plugs, brand new detachable steering wheel, new fosgate speakers, yellow top injectors, obx boost gauge, greddy profec 2 dual stage boost controller, soarer A/T ecu new hood and truck struts. Straight body and good paint round this car out i will look at trades but they will have to be equal to 10,000 i have to make somthing to make a trade worth it
sounds crappy IMO.

twin turbo supra - you mean a 1jz or a 2jz?

r154 is the 1jz 5spd transmission it was never matted to the 2jz. r154 is an inferior transmission to the v160, v160 is what belongs with a 2jz so if he has a r154 with a 2jz it is a form of cutting costs.

forged internals but no v160? is he talking about the factory forged crank and rods?

new interior but again not v160?

meagen suspension is cheap

99 front end but what about the rest of the vehicle.

3" exhaust why not 4"

hks bov is okay but not top of the line

godspeed fmic is cheap

soarer a/t ecu so it's a 1jz then? and what happened to the m/t ecu?

sounds like a collection of cheap or low-end modifications to me. I'd peronally want to see something like 2jz-gte v160 standalone ecu, borg warner single turbo, tial waste gate and bov, 4" down pipe an so on.
Old 10-14-11, 04:48 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with a lot of what account2x said. With that said, for the price asked you can't expect a singled 2jz/v160 car. 10k does sound a tad high for this car, but it may still be an OK buy depending on the interior and exterior condition.