Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300/400 center console 2nd 12V DC power & remote aux jack DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 03:51 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
How much did that little carpet run you? I ask because mine was pretty shabby and I bought similar fabric and cut to size myself.
I looked it up when I saw the part number in the picture because I wanted to order it. The part itself is $4 and shipping is $12.
Old 10-27-15, 04:00 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I looked it up when I saw the part number in the picture because I wanted to order it. The part itself is $4 and shipping is $12.
If that's not criminal, I don't know what is...
Old 10-27-15, 04:42 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Yikes! Are they shipping through Fedex?? In my defense I picked it up in a Wal-Mart by chance after having frustratingly scoured the Internet for a model I might like. I just saw it in the auto section on another errand and thought it was perfect. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart charged $7-$10 for it.

Any similar aftermarket outlet will do the trick. But so many such models are too flashy and gimmicky so as to overwhelm the simplicity of the SC interior cues... or don't fit very well *shrug*. I liked the black color, uniform compact shape, the simple USB layout and I immediately knew the space in the middle might have a chance to accommodate an aux-in jack.

And it's been reliable.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-27-15 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Grammatical corrections
Old 10-27-15, 09:14 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Yikes! Are they shipping through Fedex?? In my defense I picked it up in a Wal-Mart by chance after having frustratingly scoured the Internet for a model I might like. I just saw it in the auto section on another errand and thought it was perfect. I'm pretty sure Wal-Mart charged $7-$10 for it..
I was referring to the price of the piece of carpet in the arm rest. I'm pretty sure these parts websites just charge a standard shipping rate by dollar brackets.
Old 10-27-15, 10:44 PM
KahnBB6

Whoops. I misread. Indeed you were.

Yeah, that's not surprising to me. Regarding the carpet: I put it in an order with some other parts since the extra weight would justify the shipping charge.
Old 10-27-15, 11:15 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you order the carpet piece through a dealership?

I just picked up a (seemingly) lost intake manifold bolt; was $12 and I had it the next day. Other places were around $6 + $4 to $10 shipping and I'd eventually get it. Although, it is a fairly common bolt across lots of Lexus and Toyota models (also used for the door latch.)

And, of course, once I had the replacement bolt put in I found the one I thought I had lost.
Old 10-28-15, 12:06 AM
KahnBB6

^^ Ha. Yep. That happens

As long as they still have them in stock (I assume they do since it looked like a reissue or late model version) yes you can. If it's got a Toyota/Lexus part number you're good to go, however sometimes non-maintenance/service parts that aren't the same between two or more Toyota and Lexus models will be restricted to be bought at a Lexus dealer only or Toyota dealer only. Cosmetic parts for instance.

It's listed on the previous page of this thread.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-28-15 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-28-15, 11:16 AM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
^^ Ha. Yep. That happens

As long as they still have them in stock (I assume they do since it looked like a reissue or late model version) yes you can. If it's got a Toyota/Lexus part number you're good to go, however sometimes non-maintenance/service parts that aren't the same between two or more Toyota and Lexus models will be restricted to be bought at a Lexus dealer only or Toyota dealer only. Cosmetic parts for instance.

It's listed on the previous page of this thread.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure what old model stuff they'd have available, still.

One thing that was interesting, though, when I called a Toyota dealership (it was conveniently on my way home from work) for the bolt, as soon as I said Lexus the parts counter guy got fairly condescending and just said that they don't stock Lexus parts, call the Lexus dealership. So, i'm not sure how helpful a particular Toyota dealership would be for such a part.
Old 10-29-15, 02:47 AM
KahnBB6

That's annoying to encounter.

A few Toyota dealerships will order Lexus parts and will even service Lexus models. For instance, Carson Toyota does this as well as one dealership I used back in Florida. Sometimes they just can't do this because dealer policy or the system as set up will not let them. That's understandable and most I've encountered have been very polite about it.

However on the one occasion I've gone to a conveniently local Toyota dealer and received an above and beyond snooty attitude for my inquiries relating to a Lexus-only part number or servicing my SC I just decided to avoid that dealer entirely even for Toyota parts. That sounds like just such a dealer. Or maybe it's the parts guy there. Anyway, if they aren't set up to order Lexus P/N's that's one thing by itself. Many aren't but there are a handful, usually with some kind of agreement with the local Lexus area dealership(s) that are so far away in distance they don't think it will harm their business.

Often when I've gone to Toyota with a few part numbers an a Lexus P/N is in the bunch I don't even tell them what it's for. I just wait to see if they can get it or not and play politely dumb if they flag it.

You'd probably even out the difference between price and lack of shipping if you went to the nearest Lexus dealer with that part number.

It's kind of funny. More often it's the Lexus dealers I've found to be snooty-- even when I've brought in a Lexus

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-29-15 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-31-15, 04:24 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

What kind of connector is that? The one you connected to the phone line (the yellow plug).

I'm looking for one online so I can connect two wires to it just like you did.
Old 10-31-15, 04:42 PM
KahnBB6

DrAtomica,

I didn't actually use that plug after all. That was an early attempt to draw ACC +12V current from one of those pins but it didn't work consistently the way the cigarette lighter connection does. I ended up making a quick disconnect custom harness at that location for my console power.

I still have the plug however and if it has a Toyota P/N I'll be happy to reference it for you. It was a direct part of the optional Lexus Phone system.
Old 10-31-15, 07:20 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Cool mod. Btw, you wearing skinny jeans?
Old 10-31-15, 07:44 PM
KahnBB6

Thanks. And... huh?
Old 10-31-15, 08:01 PM
KahnBB6

DrAtomica,

I found my old clear/yellow Lexus Phone connector and sorry to say it has no discernable part number other than "UB1-1" on the insertion side. That's probably not much to go on without an electrical schematic.

The top two pins in between the locking clip are what I used for postive and ground but, again, I didn't find this to operate in the same way the cigarette lighter connection does. I can't remember if I pulled +12V or not with the engine running. In this picture I believe I might have rearranged the red and black electrodes from other pin slots. Can't remember.

I'd still recommend splicing into your cigarette lighter connection instead and creating a new harness for yourself from that area.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-31-15 at 08:06 PM.