Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Low idle. Not vaccum leak, not IACV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 02:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low idle. Not vaccum leak, not IACV.

UPDATE: Page #3, Post #31

So I've had the (seemingly normal) low idle problem on my 1999 SC400. Searching has led me to look at vaccum leaks and cleaning out my IACV, both of which my mechanic did for me during my last oil change. He said there was no vaccum leak (by listening to the engine, he said he could not hear one), and he sprayed the inside of my throttle body (I think thats what its called) with cleaner. That didnt help either.
Car runs flawlessly, other than an occasional CEL for a bad front cat. What else should I look at to diagnose the low idle?

Last edited by scENFORCER; 01-05-12 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-05-11, 02:30 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

did u check the accelerator cable? 2 nuts secure it to a bracket by the TB, you can always loosen the one nut to raise tension on the cable and raise idle. worked for my idle issue
Old 10-05-11, 03:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Is it just a low idle or does it die too? I was thinking it could be the fuel pump ECU, but your car would probably be dying on you too.
Old 10-05-11, 04:09 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your engine and transmission mounts. Search the GS400 section and you'll see this is a common issue.

P.S. Get a new mechanic. Your car doesn't have an idle air control valve.
Old 10-05-11, 05:21 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
It's your engine and transmission mounts. Search the GS400 section and you'll see this is a common issue.

Sorry, but engine and transmission mounts have nothing to do with a low idle.
Old 10-05-11, 06:31 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nova
did u check the accelerator cable? 2 nuts secure it to a bracket by the TB, you can always loosen the one nut to raise tension on the cable and raise idle. worked for my idle issue
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm worried this acts to simply mask the issue. I want to fix the issue at the core if its something else. However, if its as simple enough as these two nuts have become loose over time, then awsome. Can anyone second that this is the issue? I have a feeling its something else though..

Originally Posted by Kira X
Is it just a low idle or does it die too? I was thinking it could be the fuel pump ECU, but your car would probably be dying on you too.
No it doesnt die. Although sometimes I get scared that it will when I come to a stop, so I drive with the headlights on (headlights or AC on keep the idle rpm where it needs to be).

Originally Posted by Luxor
Sorry, but engine and transmission mounts have nothing to do with a low idle.
Ya I dunno what he's talking about..
I do have a brand new transmission mount though, and the engine mounts are fine.

..and I have a ' Fuel Injection Idle Air Control Valve', whatever..

Last edited by scENFORCER; 10-05-11 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 09:18 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Perhaps you could mess with your throttle position sensor? I remember my idle going up and down when I adjusted my TPS to factory specs after buying a new one.
Old 10-06-11, 09:56 AM
OBEY414
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing a guy on here with the same problem and he fixed the issue by buying a holley fuel pressure regulator.
Old 10-06-11, 10:56 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus GS400 Load and not smooth in idle
Originally Posted by Rick James
Check your 2 engine mounts and transmission mount...
^
Originally Posted by sakataj
i had been waiting on someone to pick up on this
Originally Posted by FrankT
x2 on motor and or transmission mounts.
Originally Posted by Rick James
Trust me its the engine mounts!
It's the mounts simple as that. They are very weak and if your car is over 90k it's time to replace.
Old 10-06-11, 12:03 PM
turbo556
Rookie

Is it missing or just low idle? Fouled plugs? Oil in plug holes? Bad wires? Have any of these been checked? Dirty Air Filter?
Old 10-06-11, 04:28 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Lexus GS400 Load and not smooth in idle

^

It's the mounts simple as that. They are very weak and if your car is over 90k it's time to replace.
Does anyone care to share why this would cause my idle to be low? Cuz I dont see it at all..

Originally Posted by turbo556
Is it missing or just low idle? Fouled plugs? Oil in plug holes? Bad wires? Have any of these been checked? Dirty Air Filter?
Plugs are NGK Laser Iridiums with about 2k miles on them, problem was there before the plugs. I dont have wires.
The car runs smoothly and flawlessly. No misfire or shaking at any point. Simply a low idle.
Old 10-06-11, 04:46 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Does anyone care to share why this would cause my idle to be low? Cuz I dont see it at all..
Same here but I can assure you it's correct. I've fixed the same low idle / rough idle issue on the 1UZ VVT-i by replacing all three mounts.
Old 10-06-11, 08:41 PM
OBEY414
Rookie

how the hell does motor mounts have an effect on idle? is this some kind of troll? and replacing mounts at 90k? wtf. if this is true i will never buy a lexus again
Old 10-07-11, 01:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Still dont have any definitive solution/ideas on what this can be.

...xcept the motor mount idea which I'm not going to consider until its explained.
Old 10-07-11, 04:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

how low of an idle are we talking about, basically where does the needle point to?
if you have had your cluster out recently the needle could also just need to be calibrated.

you can try adjusting the throttle plate stop screw and give it a few turns whichever direction is opening your throttle body and see if it stabilizes your idle some.
really not very much just like 2-3 turns and remember how many you do total so you can set it back if you want later to stock.
you want to adjust this on a fully warmed up engine, and if it seems to be working turn it till you get in the 750rpm area with the a/c on.
if not then set it back to how it was.

adjusting the tension on the throttle cable to let in more air will give the tps the wrong reading. above is the right way and if you do more than a few turns then yes you will need to remove the slack in the cable using those 2 adjusting nuts.

If all your mechanic did was spray cleaner into the throttle body, he really did nothing at all.
on an sc400 the IACV is entirely separate from the throttle body.

When cleaning the IACV its a good idea to manually check if the plunger still goes up and down, you do this by turning it.
If you cannot turn the plunger easily, that is your problem. they get stuck and those magnets in the base cant move them anymore.
some people just clean the plunger tip, clean the passages and put it back together without checking the plunger.... not good enough.
the fix in that case is to open up hit it with wd40 all over the plunger arm and let it run down towards the base.
Give it a bit and attempt to turn it till it brakes loose and spins freely which you may have to add more wd40 or grease of your choice to get a stuck one to do that. it should be able to spin freely with minimal effort, like 1 finger.

Its like 2 bolts and 3 phillips screws, its to the side of the throttle body and really easy to remove. you may want to DIY on this one.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-07-11 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Low idle. Not vaccum leak, not IACV.