Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

can I use this Metal head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-11, 11:07 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I use this Metal head gasket

I am in a low buget for my na-t so I came across this MHG in ebay.. has anyone used this before?
any thoughts about it.? I wont make more than 10 psi
The seller has 100% feedback
it comes with....
+ Multi-layered steel head gasket
+ Intake manifold gasket
+ Exhaust manifold gasket
+ Valve cover gasket
+ Viton valve stem seals
+ Camshaft front
+ O-rings
+ Other Small Gaskets
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Multi...#ht_3026wt_924

Last edited by 619Rider; 09-27-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-28-11, 04:29 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

as a strong na-t builder myself let me make a suggestion... dont skimp on the most important seal on the motor.. go with oem only tt headgasket.. it has a copper core for better strenghth and heat tolerances.. when i build or do motor swap for customer , i only use oem parts and seals ..

just my humble advice , and it might save you from having to tear back down and re do
Old 09-28-11, 04:36 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In my experience, I have found that rubber and metal are rubber and metal.

You don't want knockoff things like:

-Engine bearings

-Pistons

-Oil Pumps, etc

If guys swear by ebay turbo manifolds, why not?

It looks like the standard overbore, and has no info on how thick it is. Ask the seller.
Old 09-28-11, 03:43 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

not exactly true .. their different grades and types and qualities of metals and rubbers hence cheaper pricing .. i would not trust a turbo build using non quality stuff period , do what you like ... a factory oem tt hg is like 140 ish from toyota , ebay crap is like 50-80 .. if 70 -90 is a issue , maybe you should not be boosting this car
Old 09-28-11, 03:58 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Eristic brand from e-bay as it is cheap and has been proven to hold a crap ton of power which I made 612whp on one and guys on supra forums have made north of 800whp on them.

Last edited by 99SC42; 11-03-11 at 12:52 PM. Reason: no ebay link
Old 09-29-11, 04:54 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
not exactly true .. their different grades and types and qualities of metals and rubbers hence cheaper pricing .. i would not trust a turbo build using non quality stuff period , do what you like ... a factory oem tt hg is like 140 ish from toyota , ebay crap is like 50-80 .. if 70 -90 is a issue , maybe you should not be boosting this car
It's exactly true. Screw Toyota numbers, cross reference with Aisin, or Denso numbers and a lot of stuff cross references.

You even be surprised to find your precious Toyota gasket isn't manufactured by Toyota.

Steel is steel, Rubber is rubber.

The only "Grade" that matters is Stainless. I.E. 304, 316, 409, etc

The fact is, everything is made in China these days.

Because there are so goddam many of them, it's hard to ignore the discount you get from manufacturing in that country, "Henceforth" cheaper pricing.

This is not a metallurgy discussion, it's simple economics.

Like I said, as long as it's not a major component, like an oil pump, or pistons Ebay all day.

Buy the kit, boost up, and have fun.
Old 09-29-11, 05:29 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is the most important seal in the motor. get a quality one. Do it once do it right.
Old 09-29-11, 05:57 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i would not trust a turbo build using non quality stuff period , do what you like ... a factory oem tt hg is like 140 ish from toyota , ebay crap is like 50-80 .. if 70 -90 is a issue , maybe you should not be boosting this car
^^^^^this is going to be my new sig
Old 09-29-11, 07:41 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Biggu
this is the most important seal in the motor. get a quality one. Do it once do it right.
Over paying for a head gasket just because it says toyota on the package is foolish but if you guys have money to burn then be my guest,

I plan on making 700+ on my sc with the 30.00 gasket as I know it will hold and it's proven.
Old 09-29-11, 08:43 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

first of all that gasket KIT is made for gte so the intake and exhaust gaskets will not work for him, so he will have to source them elsewhere.

My main issue is Valve seals and HG why buy cheap stuff when you have to tear the engine apart to replace them.
If you are not doing the labor yourself you have to pay someone twice why? because you wanna save 70-$90.
to me it doesn't make any sense but to each their own, IF that's what you like to spend your $$ on then good luck.
If i don't have the money to do it right and buy the right parts and quality parts i will leave my car bone stock, if you "can't afford it then don't do it."
Old 09-29-11, 09:06 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
first of all that gasket KIT is made for gte so the intake and exhaust gaskets will not work for him, so he will have to source them elsewhere.

My main issue is Valve seals and HG why buy cheap stuff when you have to tear the engine apart to replace them.
If you are not doing the labor yourself you have to pay someone twice why? because you wanna save 70-$90.
to me it doesn't make any sense but to each their own, IF that's what you like to spend your $$ on then good luck.
If i don't have the money to do it right and buy the right parts and quality parts i will leave my car bone stock, if you "can't afford it then don't do it."
I would not use any of the rubber components in the gasket set but the fact is that the cheap mls gaskets have proven them selves time and time again so why over pay?

A metal hg is a simple thing and I think people tend to over think it and that leads to over paying but I had doubts on it when the guys on supra forums were saying to just use this one and I had to try it in order to proove it to my self which now I am a firm believer as it is still holding 612whp on pump gas so how much more convincing does one need than that?

This is one of those times that you can throw caution to the wind as it simply works.
Old 09-29-11, 09:52 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Why did you need to change your head gasket in the first place if you don't mind me asking?

I am just saying i will not put $79 ebay hg on my period, i don't beleive everything i read on these boards ...people whatever without proof to back it up.
Your car you can put whatever gasket you like!
Old 09-29-11, 02:44 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I changed it simply because I had the head off to do some light porting on the head, I am not trying to convince anyone to use them rather I just am sharing my experience with people to let them make an educated descision and since times are a little tougher these days and there is almost -0- disposeable income in peoples budgets anymore I figured I would tell you there is a way to save and not hurt reliability which is a rare comboniation these days.
Old 09-29-11, 07:50 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

ihear what you saying bro , however take a look at oem gte hg and you'll notice a copper layer within the gasket .. none of the cheaper gaskets have that ... im sure toyota had it engineered that way for a reason.. id rather go oem and shave 90 off somewhere else
Old 09-29-11, 07:51 PM
blueboost6
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the set that xspsi6 said a good friend swears by it 6.09 at 107 mph in the 1/8 at 25psi still holding strong. And his car has over a hundred passes on it

Quick Reply: can I use this Metal head gasket