Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Test only smog -- thanks Cali

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-11, 03:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts
Default Test only smog -- thanks Cali

I got a DMV renewal notice in the mail today and at the top it says I am required to smog my car (which was smogged exactly a year ago when I bought it?) at a Test-Only station.

I don't have any engine modifications so I am not worried about visual. The vehicle test history is clean other than a single fail in 2006. It passed three smog tests since then. Also, upon registration I did not have to take it to a Test Only center.

I'm sure this is common so my post isn't really a complaint but I never had to deal with Test Only for my brought-out-of-state 2000 Prelude which I did register here. Would I be correct in assuming that I'm just another one of the so-called "random" draws for smog?
Old 09-23-11, 04:02 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like you got "randomed"... however that's spelled.

Is it originally an out-of-state car?
Old 09-24-11, 01:28 AM
KahnBB6

Nope. It's a California car originally sold not far from where I live. It was completely stock when I bought it, too. My last car was an out of state model and never got randomly picked.
Old 09-24-11, 02:55 AM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what I do...register your car in a city where smog isn't required! I haven't smogged a car in years!
Old 09-24-11, 08:26 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it wasnt for Smog Test Only I would be out of work.

Theres a few reasons why your vehicle is getting appointed to a Test Only Center or Gold sheild station for inspection.

Your car has a higher chance of failing than most, they are called High Emitting Profile vehicles. So they look at past inspections to see if it failed and how bad it failed. In Your case if the car in your Sig is being appointed to Test Only its mpst likely because of the year. If the car is old, its going to one of these stations. Im beganning to see a lot of 03 models today going to Test Only, if the car is failry new its Random.

Theres really nothing wrong with Test Only Smog. The station where I work at, most of our customers arent Test only smogs, they come there for the conveince-they like to be in and out. You may pay a little more at Test Only but they like the fact we dont have any benefits of Failing the vehicle. Some of these crooked smog and repair stations will Fail your car just to sell repairs.

I dont know how Toobs is getting away with not getting inspection. No matter where you have it registered in Cali you are still going to need it smogged. If its registered in a high populated area-Enhanced Area, your required to a ASM(Accerleration Simulated Mode-Loaded test) dynamometer inspection. Low populated area(Basic Area) they run the old school 2 speed idle test.

Most cars require a smog inspection biennally in Ca. Cars that are exempt

-76 and earlier models
-brand new cars get first 6 years waived, after first 6 years its biennal unless transfer of title after 4 years
-diesels that have a GVWR over 12 or 15K and any models earlier than 98(yes we smog diesels now, gotta love Ca)
Old 09-24-11, 08:34 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

xxtoobsxx, and where city are you talking about? You're from SD right?
Old 09-24-11, 09:12 AM
socal72
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had a smog done 2 days ago and paseed with flying colors like she always has since I bought it and since it was new according to all the history I have on it she has never failed. I guess I got lucky or the previous owner and I took/take exceptional care of her!! She's a 2 owner 95 SC400 and only has 156k on her. She still somewhat a baby (somewhat) according to what most say about our cars.
"Her exhaust still smells like Similac formula"....HA HA HA
Old 09-24-11, 09:14 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My car (99 GS) has always gone to test-only stations. This year however, they are letting me go to any smog station. Hooray money saved.
Old 09-24-11, 09:18 AM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

San luis rio AZ no smog jejeje... the lsc300 was bought from a guy who did not bother with mainence because, he bought it from US customs.. car auction. All I did is an oil change,new sparkplugs,and air filter,gas cap. And it freaken passed
Old 09-24-11, 09:37 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank god miami doesnt do that shxxxxt ........
Old 09-26-11, 02:36 AM
KahnBB6

So my car has fallen into a High Emitter Profile? Yeesh. It passed it's last three smogs. It's never had a turbo fitted. I looked up its smog history and the original owner (I'm the second) must have lapsed on maintenance in 2006 because it failed that one. I can't control that.

I shouldn't complain I guess. In just over a year we will all be doing smog annually and I may be scrutinized just because I have 275 series tires in the rear.

I know that the Test Only system was implemented to supposedly protect customers and perhaps it does. I know it also keeps a lot of work going around for shops. I'm not trying to pick on anyone who does smog testing work.

I was thinking of taking it in to get a pre-test at a test & repair this week (yes, I know that it's basically paying double) to find out if anything is wrong BEFORE I get a surprise failure on its record.

I had already planned to buy a Magnaflow main cat with a CARB EO for the SC300, have that welded in and possibly replace the pre-cat with an OEM but now I guess I'll be doing that ahead of schedule. I've had a suspicion that it's not doing well after almost 200k. It ticks like crazy sometimes and always when the car is shut off after a drive.

I went to a smog shop a few months ago and got a guy to just check the numbers from the tailpipe after throwing it on the roller. He said it was pretty clean. It wasn't a true pre-test so I never got a printout to remind myself of what the HC's were but this was after doing ALL up to date maintenance.

Originally Posted by eyeSOARER6
If it wasnt for Smog Test Only I would be out of work.

Theres a few reasons why your vehicle is getting appointed to a Test Only Center or Gold sheild station for inspection.

Your car has a higher chance of failing than most, they are called High Emitting Profile vehicles. So they look at past inspections to see if it failed and how bad it failed. In Your case if the car in your Sig is being appointed to Test Only its mpst likely because of the year. If the car is old, its going to one of these stations. Im beganning to see a lot of 03 models today going to Test Only, if the car is failry new its Random.

Theres really nothing wrong with Test Only Smog. The station where I work at, most of our customers arent Test only smogs, they come there for the conveince-they like to be in and out. You may pay a little more at Test Only but they like the fact we dont have any benefits of Failing the vehicle. Some of these crooked smog and repair stations will Fail your car just to sell repairs.

I dont know how Toobs is getting away with not getting inspection. No matter where you have it registered in Cali you are still going to need it smogged. If its registered in a high populated area-Enhanced Area, your required to a ASM(Accerleration Simulated Mode-Loaded test) dynamometer inspection. Low populated area(Basic Area) they run the old school 2 speed idle test.

Most cars require a smog inspection biennally in Ca. Cars that are exempt

-76 and earlier models
-brand new cars get first 6 years waived, after first 6 years its biennal unless transfer of title after 4 years
-diesels that have a GVWR over 12 or 15K and any models earlier than 98(yes we smog diesels now, gotta love Ca)

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-26-11 at 02:42 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 08:16 PM
KahnBB6

UPDATE:

The short epilogue is that I passed a smog pre-test A-OK except that I was ten degrees off on my timing. I had the timing corrected, replaced my first cat, bought a new OEM gas cap and replaced the third 02 sensor (the two front ones and my plugs, cap and rotor were all done within the last few months). I went to a Test Only center and passed with flying colors. I imagine that with the second cat replaced with a Catco the numbers would be even more impressive.

Mission accomplished! Add to that, I am apparently no longer in Test Only Directed Status in the BAR system That's what it says on the website anyway.

However... upon going to the Test Only center another issue came up that wasn't related to passing or failing:

The Test & Repair station I went to actually transmitted the data to the DMV!!! The guy at the Test Only station said to me that I had failed a smog test recently.

"No I haven't."

"But you have. The screen is gone right now but it showed up on 10/8/2011 that you failed a test."

"No, that's incorrect. I... wait... that was when I had a Pre-Test done. That wasn't an official Test. Why did the ARB get that information when I asked for a Pre-Test?"

In early October, I specifically asked this other Test & Repair shop for a "Smog Pre-Test" and said, again specifically, "This kind of test does not transmit any information to the DMV or ARB, correct? It is just a mock test, correct?" I was assured by them on all counts, so I had them go ahead.

My only issue turned out to be the aforementioned ten degrees of timing being off. Everything else was fine. I paid them, took my printout (with at the limit HC's) and went on my way to prepare my car for the real test.

The Test Only guy seemed to think that even though I asked for a Pre-Test the ARB still does get that information for "overall evaluation of the vehicle population" and that it was not specifically tied to my car.

Yet... I just checked my VIN status on the BAR website and sure enough, it lists an "F" on the date I got my Pre-Test and a "P" for my Test Only official test.

I'm a bit pissed at this Smog & Repair shop. I am going to visit them and give them hell and demand my money back. Is a Smog Pre-Test not really just a non-official evaluation of the vehicle's smog systems or have I missed something very obvious?

Can anyone help clarify what a "Smog Pre-Test" is actually supposed to be?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-13-11 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 02:27 PM
KahnBB6

SOLVED

Perhaps I just had to learn the hard way, but for the benefit of anyone who is curious or doesn't yet know the ropes:

In California a "Smog Pre-Test" is USELESS. All data is STILL TRANSMITTED TO THE BAR/DMV. The only thing that is different for the car owner is that this type of test can't be used as an official test.

I don't know if it was different in the past but no one should get a "Smog Pre-Test" in order to safely figure out if their car will pass smog or if there are any correctable issues. YOU WILL GET A PASS OR FAIL ON YOUR CAR'S VIN RECORD REGARDLESS OF IT NOT BEING AN "OFFICIAL" TEST.

Again, apparently conventional logic did not apply in this case and I had to learn that the hard way.

And I'm pretty sure this is significant because despite my passing my Test Only with flying colors I got an onoerous mail flyer from the DMV yesterday offering me $1,000 for any "old and tired" car in my household. I laughed at that, of course.

Hope this helps anyone new to Cali smog like me.
Old 11-23-11, 02:37 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Uhhh, congratulations?

With the exception of the DMV, California must be the most awesome place on the planet to live. They would have to give me free ice cream sundaes for life and pay my mortgage before I would put up with all that idiotic smog bureaucracy.
Old 11-23-11, 02:54 PM
KahnBB6

Heh. Three words:

Hollywood film industry.

Okay, actually there are a lot of great things about California. For car enthusiasts it's just the DMV/BAR that is awful.

Quick Reply: Test only smog -- thanks Cali