Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 Tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 05:39 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sc400 Tuning question

Has anyone had any experience with say an Safc or some other type of wire in piggy back tuner with their sc400? Im exploring some options but I would like others feed back on this
Old 08-28-11, 06:42 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that guy with the rear mount turbo has one is his car... dnt know if u ever saw that thread.
Old 08-28-11, 07:13 PM
V8KLLA
Driver

Im curious about this, as Ive read that theres some power to be found simply by tuning the fuel curve. It would make sense that they would run rich from the factory, for safety and reliability.
Old 08-30-11, 02:54 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the SRT intake which has a piggyback to lean out the fuel alittle. It doesnt get it to where you could with a SAFC but it does work. S&S headers were white inside when I replaced them. JDM Muscle, hey ask some of the guy's in the GS400 section. Rockalex has a Apexi Neo.
Old 08-30-11, 04:09 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have "heard" that SAFC's are ok for minor tuning. Those who want to dig deeper and really tweak with the tuning without going stand alone tend to lean towards MAP ECUx (the MAP ECU3 looks pretty sweet actually!)
Old 08-30-11, 06:22 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Awesome, any personal experience 88supra?
Old 08-30-11, 09:49 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From my research a safc will work little as the ECU relearns and normalize the changes maden. That unless you disconnect the o2 sensors, then you´ll have the "Check engine" light on but the ECU will not relearn.
I already bought an AEM F/IC piggyback but its not installed yet. Carlos in his turbo build started using a safc and then move to this same piggyback so I followed him.
Old 09-09-11, 12:39 PM
BenFTW
Driver School Candidate

^^ So how exactly do you go about tuning with a SAFC with the ecu relearning itself, without disconnecting your o2's? Thanks for the info.
Old 09-09-11, 03:32 PM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

No personal experience as of yet. It is the direction that I plan to go when I do my swap though. I like the fact that you can start from a base map and tune from there, eliminating the need for a MAP sensor (which on the 2JZGTE VVTi is PRICEY just for the sensor)
Old 09-09-11, 03:36 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, on my car, I had no o2 sensors, and it was still relearning. I had to disconnect the CTS for it to stay in open loop. However, cold start suffered severely.

I have an SAFC now, in order for the car not to relearn, I have to reset the computer. I just unplug the EFI fuse under the hood for a little. I have to do it every so often.

I tried to run a relay into the EFI fuse so it would reset after I turned off the key, however I couldn't find a 12+ source that stayed on during cranking lol. SO the car would shut off after start up, and I'd have to start a few times.
Old 09-09-11, 04:17 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Actually, on my car, I had no o2 sensors, and it was still relearning. I had to disconnect the CTS for it to stay in open loop. However, cold start suffered severely.

I have an SAFC now, in order for the car not to relearn, I have to reset the computer. I just unplug the EFI fuse under the hood for a little. I have to do it every so often.

I tried to run a relay into the EFI fuse so it would reset after I turned off the key, however I couldn't find a 12+ source that stayed on during cranking lol. SO the car would shut off after start up, and I'd have to start a few times.

what mods do you have inorder to need an SAFC?
Old 09-09-11, 05:40 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Grant are you going to be tuning this yourself and do you have a dyno out in your area? if u have the software we have a tuner and a dyno at the dealer i work at, i can put u in contact with the Tuner if you are interested in talking to him
Old 09-09-11, 05:55 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ihiryu has a turbo 1uz
He probably needs something more than a SAFC, but if its working...
Old 09-09-11, 08:26 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Just go with standalone man. If you don't want to spend ridiculous cash get the MS3X. It's a much better deal overall (than SAFC or expensive standalones), and you won't regret it in the end.
Old 09-09-11, 10:54 PM
JDMmuscle
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Just go with standalone man. If you don't want to spend ridiculous cash get the MS3X. It's a much better deal overall (than SAFC or expensive standalones), and you won't regret it in the end.
Do you have personal experiance with this MS3X? If not what made you choose this product?

I need some acutal facts here, not opinions.

Im looking for a good product that would allow for fuel and Timing change's. if its able to tune for Meth injection as well at a center RPM or Throttle level it would be even more of a selling point. I would like to steer away from AEM, if heard and experiences nothing but bad things with them.

What i have found and perked my interest is this:
http://www.perfectpower.com/index.ph...d=51&Itemid=55

Unfortunetly i have called EVERY dealer listed on their page and no one has responded to my inquiry's

Quick Reply: sc400 Tuning question