Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.
View Poll Results: Rebuilt Supra R154 or buy another R154?
Rebuild over $1200 in funds?...
84.62%
Soarer r154? Just have to find one...
15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Rebuilt r154 or buy another r154?

Old 08-23-11, 04:56 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iridebmx
u cant go from 3rd to 5th anymore?
Originally Posted by iridebmx
hit up dom, chris or someone. if they dont want to im sure a couple other buddies of mine back home would help out esp if its on a weekend and they get to see their 1st turbo SC haha... let me know
I don't believe 3rd to 5th work anymore, but i can be wrong, might work on the freeway.

Forgot about Dom and them, I don't really want to bother. Especially when i don't see them much besides when i make stops to autozone...

I'm not going to do anything at the moment till i move to my new place; I'm moving a lot closer to work. I have less than a month left at this house where i am currently in.
Bad part is that I'm not going to be able to use a garage anymore....

Last edited by TRDmike; 08-23-11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 04:14 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I used two trannys and mixed the best of both worlds along with new bearing and syncro kit + all available marlin crawler parts and my tranny came out crappy after the rebuild because the gears had wear and I told the tranny shop to throw them in anyways. I'm done with all the crappy tranny stuff. If I were you I'd find a good tranny (low miles, maybe even test drive if still installed) then do a new bearing and syncro kit with all marlen crawler goodies. But in the end its still a R154 and you'll be down the money for 2 builds plus parts and maybe even cursing yourself for not just saving for a six speed from the get go.. I know I am especially after an $1800 clutch setup. there are crazy alternatives as well ie. t56, solstice tranny, built auto etc.
Old 08-24-11, 04:46 PM
91dx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shonuff53
I used two trannys and mixed the best of both worlds along with new bearing and syncro kit + all available marlin crawler parts and my tranny came out crappy after the rebuild because the gears had wear and I told the tranny shop to throw them in anyways. I'm done with all the crappy tranny stuff. If I were you I'd find a good tranny (low miles, maybe even test drive if still installed) then do a new bearing and syncro kit with all marlen crawler goodies. But in the end its still a R154 and you'll be down the money for 2 builds plus parts and maybe even cursing yourself for not just saving for a six speed from the get go.. I know I am especially after an $1800 clutch setup. there are crazy alternatives as well ie. t56, solstice tranny, built auto etc.
I'm somewhat in the same dilemma myself. Pay $1500, at least, to throw in a new clutch/flywheel plus whatever else I need into the existing r154 I have in the car. Or save for a 6spd. I'm leaning towards the 6spd.

Last edited by 91dx; 08-24-11 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-24-11, 04:59 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

3 days after I ordered a twin plate.. my buddy called me trying to sale his 6 speed setup for $2500 if I would of not bought it I would have went for it but I was soooooo sure that stupid twin plate and r154 would make my day now look at me sitting here crying about my past decisions lol
Old 08-24-11, 06:46 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

3 days after I ordered a twin plate.. my buddy called me trying to sale his 6 speed setup for $2500 if I would of not bought it I would have went for it but I was soooooo sure that stupid twin plate and r154 would make my day now look at me sitting here crying about my past decisions lol
All you can do is learn from the past, and you will pretty much have to pay to play. Timing is pretty much everything, i found a 6spd SC one month later when i bought my turbo SC. Only thing to do was stick with what i got. At times i just wished i should of just bought a 6spd Supra at the get go....

I did some research when my r154 broke the first time and its a lot of work and money just to have a getrag 6 spd installed. I asked around how much in putting a 6 spd in would cost and was told a minimum of at least 10 grand.

Originally Posted by 91dx
I'm somewhat in the same dilemma myself. Pay $1500, at least, to throw in a new clutch/flywheel plus whatever else I need into the existing r154 I have in the car. Or save for a 6spd. I'm leaning towards the 6spd.
Its going to be pricy, but it would be rewarding when it does get done.

Last edited by TRDmike; 08-24-11 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 05:15 AM
91dx
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDmike
At times i just wished i should of just bought a 6spd Supra at the get go....

I did some research when my r154 broke the first time and its a lot of work and money just to have a getrag 6 spd installed. I asked around how much in putting a 6 spd in would cost and was told a minimum of at least 10 grand.
I wish the same thing too...about the supra part that is.

So what is involved with swapping out a r154 for a v160? if it's 10grand total I rather just stick with what I got and use the money for a single turbo upgrade.

And what parts do I need to replace if I want to rebuild a r154 to properly handle power?

Last edited by 91dx; 08-25-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 06:31 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow minimum $10k, Mike that is not true i don't know what price they are going by maybe BNIB V160 from Toyota you still get it around $5800.00
Used one go anywhere from $2200.00-$3800.00 depending on the miles and condition, if you can do the labor yourself and source you own parts you can do it for half that price maybe $5500.00.
Driveshaft depending on where you go it's anywhere from $350-$900
Stock flywheel and RPS clutch $750-$900
6 speed left side axle if you go with 6 speed diff.
Shifter, housing and bracket $250.00
V160 fluid (2) quarts $98
6 speed diff if you have enough money left $900-$1200
Or TRD auto LSD in the GS400 diff that may even be cheaper.

I learned from my mistake yes you can rebuild it your R but you will get to the point where you will start to hate your car because it's not reliable, breaking tranny and clutches left and right trust me i have been down that road before and it was just a waste of money and time.i used to pull my tranny out almost every friday it's either trans seal or broken Pressure Plate.and i refuse to pay for a clutch that cost more than my trans and can hold more TQ than my trans can ,hell i even order OS Giken triple for my R154 from HPF but end up cancelling the SO (Special Order).
Sit down and thinking the future not today but 2 years from now what king power you wanna be making and make your decision base on that answer don't waste your money and time like some of US.
GL with whatever route you decide to go.

Some may think i am hating on the r154! i am not i am just telling the truth.

Last edited by 99SC42; 08-25-11 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 05:19 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

I'm assuming it would be 10k including: labor and changing/upgrading rear end (That is what i was told for a reliable upgrade).
I always wanted to go 2j and v160, but can't afford it at the moment.

Good things:
-I have a OS Giken twin plate ready to install
-6spd Tomei LSD installed

Bad Things:
-1j slightly leaking oil
-transmission
Old 08-29-11, 08:23 PM
91dx
Rookie

would it be advisable to drive long distances with a clutch going bad?
Old 08-30-11, 12:51 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

would it be advisable to drive long distances with a clutch going bad?
yeah if you have the time to kill and money to waste on towing etc. Just dont do it.
Old 08-30-11, 01:07 PM
91dx
Rookie

yeah if you have the time to kill and money to waste on towing etc. Just dont do it.
figured as much. Guess i'll just put miles on my other car
Old 08-30-11, 05:38 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

+1 on that.
Old 08-31-11, 01:32 PM
91dx
Rookie

How much should I expect to pay in labor to rebuild the r154?
Old 08-31-11, 02:52 PM
TRDmike
Pole Position

How much should I expect to pay in labor to rebuild the r154?
The shop i usually go to quoted me for about $1200 for complete rebuild and changing the clutch and converting to push pull or pull push.... something with that nature. Just for Labor.... it varies on shop i assume.
Old 08-31-11, 03:56 PM
91dx
Rookie

Originally Posted by TRDmike
The shop i usually go to quoted me for about $1200 for complete rebuild and changing the clutch and converting to push pull or pull push.... something with that nature. Just for Labor.... it varies on shop i assume.
That's $1200 including parts? Or you provide the clutch? I got quoted $400 for labor just to change the clutch. That seems like a decent deal to me. But they send it out to another shop to rebuild it and can't give me a quote

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilt r154 or buy another r154?