Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Transmission questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 07:23 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission questions

I have been looking through NA-T threads to find anything about strengthening the stock thrns in my sc300. The one thread I found seems like the most help so far. An they talk about the A340E TT auto an NA auto (the stock trans in the SC300) and they said the TT (from the turbo supra an aristo) will bolt in an can handle ~425-450 w/ a good cooler. My question is would the TT auto be able to clear the space in the NA an bolt in with minnimum problems? an im looking to put out (at most) 440, would I still need to bulk up the trans?
Old 08-17-11, 08:05 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason swapping a TT auto is complicated is because of the line pressure issue with the valve bodies. Believe it or not, the cable the n/a auto has is NOT a kickdown cable but a cable to control line pressure. The problem with the TT tranny is line pressure is controlled electronically via a solenoid. The solenoid is linearly controlled and allows for more precise line pressure control. So far, the only way to control the TT tranny is with an AEM,
The transmission will physically fit but you cannot use it.
Old 08-17-11, 08:29 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically you can use it, but would have to shift it manually.

But I can tell you (since someone is going to say it eventually), best bet would be to go 5-speed. I wont lie, I loved my auto na-t setup, but with a manual trans in my car and not even driving it yet, I know its going to be a much better driving experience.
Old 08-17-11, 08:30 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Why wouldnt it if you dont mind me asking? an is there a way I can bulk up the stock trans or is there another option for a trans swap?
Old 08-17-11, 08:33 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Oh what the hell!? an are you talking the r154? because im still auto just cuz we dont have any manuals in the family so I dont know how to learn a manual trans. . . I know, im a MAJOR noob .......
Old 08-17-11, 08:46 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read these, and then search some more here and keep reading:

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=2932

http://forum.clubna-t.com/showthread.php?t=4145

Quick rundown on your questions:

Yes the stock A340E n/a auto trans can be modified, but wont be much better than an old w58.

Yes the A341E will bolt up, but due to lack of electronic shifting control on the n/a ecu, the TT trans can only be controlled one of 2 ways, either manually shifting, or an AEM standalone. There are other options, but those are the easiest.

What people are going to suggest, R154 5-speed swap. Dependable, been done over and over again, fairly easy to obtain. W58 is much cheaper with variables, but may explode over 400rwhp...then again, some R154's have also gone the way of a grenade around the same hp..

Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-11, 10:40 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

So if I na-t, I either go manual or go home? Thank you so much for the help, ill keep looking an reading. and what could I do to prevent both the trannies from blowing to hell?
Old 08-17-11, 10:43 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

and what would the pros an cons be of going with the A341E an installing the standalone?
Old 08-17-11, 10:54 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

The TT auto and W58 are roughly the same strength.

An aftermarket computer also called a standalone would be half the price of an Aristo 2JZ-GTE engine. Coincidentally the TT auto transmission power rating up to 450whp safely is about maximum power a stock twins Aristo engine can produce. What I'm implying is it wouldn't make any sense to go NA-T compared to a swap. You'd spend more money but you couldn't push it much harder.
Old 08-17-11, 11:23 PM
S0ulTuner
Driver

Originally Posted by account2x
The TT auto and W58 are roughly the same strength.

An aftermarket computer also called a standalone would be half the price of an Aristo 2JZ-GTE engine. Coincidentally the TT auto transmission power rating up to 450whp safely is about maximum power a stock twins Aristo engine can produce. What I'm implying is it wouldn't make any sense to go NA-T compared to a swap. You'd spend more money but you couldn't push it much harder.
Alot of people do that around here an it gives great results, but I have no equipment for doing an engine swap, even the the people at my shop wont help me gueranteed (If I had a 67 camaro or a 69 nova an wanted to get a 454 in one they would be perfectly fine with that) cuz they dont like imports much. . .
Old 08-18-11, 12:00 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like you need a better shop.
Old 08-18-11, 09:34 AM
S0ulTuner
Driver

My boss has already help one person swap an engine into his truck an I did sleep on the idea of actually asking him an seeing what he says an Im gonna pray for the best. An just a couple questions regarding the aristo. First, is the wiring harness gonna be different, an how much would it probably be to see it to dr. tweak an have him do it? an is 2200-2400 what you would expect one of these engines to go for? an whats is the maximum hp it can handle if it already producing 450?
Old 08-18-11, 07:03 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You do know you can use a JZX90 Chaser auto, right?

It is an A340 with the Line Pressure cable, and also has the extra clutch pack that will also hold 450-500hp with a nice trans cooler.

There are only three solenoids One for 3rd Gear change. One for O/D. And One for the Lockup conveter.

These transmissions are readily available with all the R154 Bandwagon jumping.

<---For example.

Last edited by spoolxexo; 08-22-11 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-23-11, 02:24 AM
lex92sc300
Driver

Couldnt he use a gm 400 tranny also
Old 08-23-11, 04:46 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's possible, but there are a lot a conversion items to buy, making it more expensive.

Quick Reply: Transmission questions