Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

More starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-11, 09:03 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default More starter problems

Can't seem to figure this one out.

Swapped my dead starter out for a working one about 10 months ago, and haven't had any trouble until yesterday. It worked perfect until I went to start it after waiting in my car about 10 minutes listening to the radio, and got nothing from the starter. Not even a click or anything. I thought it could be the battery, as it is about 4.5 years old, but on my AFC display, it was reading 11.7 volts, which I think would be about normal. Everything else appears to work fine, but my car hasn't started since.

I was thinking maybe the solenoid, but wouldn't that make the starter at least click?

I also checked to make sure the plug was still plugged in, as it would frequently slip out on my old starter, but it's still in there just fine.

Any ideas? Thanks!

tldr: Starter stopped working all of a sudden. No click. Battery appears to be fine.
Old 08-08-11, 09:40 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you tap on the starter will it then do anything?
Old 08-08-11, 09:59 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

What do you mean tap on it? Like with a hammer?
Old 08-08-11, 10:07 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yeah. Or a wrench, screwdriver etc.
Old 08-08-11, 10:12 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Sometimes you can tap on the starter and then turn the key and it will start. Other times, you have to have someone hold the key to "start" while you tap the starter and it will work. Both are workarounds to a failing starter, but you can use this method to start the car if you are stranded or need to get to Autozone for a new starter.
Old 08-08-11, 10:32 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Alright I'll give that a try when I get home and update. Thanks!
Old 08-08-11, 07:08 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one jay, if you can do a performance test on the battery, just because you have 11.7 volts does not mean you have enough amps to start the car. since your battery is 4.5years old and you listened to music. do you have an aftermarket sound system? and what is a AFC display? how can you be sure that it is accurate?
Old 08-08-11, 07:11 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Sometimes you can tap on the starter and then turn the key and it will start. Other times, you have to have someone hold the key to "start" while you tap the starter and it will work. Both are workarounds to a failing starter, but you can use this method to start the car if you are stranded or need to get to Autozone for a new starter.
yes this method does work, have used it on plenty of cars as a quick fix, also you can bump the starter by pushing the car with the trans in 1st or 2nd gear, clutch in and have some one or a few people push the car and once u have a good roll going pop the clutch and it should start this only works on MANUAL transmissions though and im only assuming u have that from your user name
Old 08-08-11, 08:29 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

If you cant get a good shot at the starter, get a long extension and touch it to the starter and tap it with a hammer...

11.7v is a little low.

If need be have a friend in the car hold the key in the "start" position the moment before you start to tap on the starter.

Give us an update.
Old 08-09-11, 09:44 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

AFC: I have the display set up like the bottom one with the battery voltage displayed.

Sounds like it's probably the battery. I tried tapping the starter a few times this morning, but it didn't work. I also didn't have a friend around, so I just tapped it, then went back and turned the key.

I'm going to take my battery into Pepboys this afternoon and see what they say about it. I'm lucky and I live on a hill, so for now I can just park facing downhill and start it pretty easily with the clutch start. Just gonna have to get a coworker to help me push my car after work though haha.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully I can find the culprit before my road trip on Sunday.

Edit: Also, I do have an aftermarket sound system, but nothing crazy. Just a blown subwoofer and a head unit that doesn't play CD's and can't do presets anymore.
Old 08-09-11, 10:35 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Update: Tried jumping my car today, but it didn't work. Heard a clicking noise, but it sounded like it was coming from the fuel rail, not the starter. I'm thinking it might be the starter solenoid? Thoughts?
Old 08-11-11, 01:36 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Took my battery into Pepboys yesterday just to rule it out, and it came back fine. The guy I was talking to also told me to test my alternator, just in case, so I did that by unplugging the + battery terminal while it was running, and it didn't die, so that checks out too.

I'm thinking about just finding another used starter and seeing if swapping that out will fix the problem. Or maybe I can find my old one if I didn't trash it and replace the contacts in that one and get it to work.

Last edited by OneJay; 08-11-11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-11-11, 02:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It could be worn contacts and/or the plunger is sticking. Normally you get the click thing before it goes out completely but not always. the tapping trick usually gets a few more starts out of it.

you could pull the starter and inspect the contacts and plunger, it doesnt take very long. if they look like they are in good shape, then maybe time for a new starter, if the contacts are completely worn try replacing those first, under $20 at toyota for the kit.
the plunger does not need to be replaced, simply wipe it down till its shiny again.
Old 08-11-11, 02:55 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

That's the plan. Just read through the "click click $27" thread and got the part numbers. Gonna pick new contacts up from Toyota today or tomorrow and try to tackle it this weekend before I go on my road trip on Sunday.
Old 08-11-11, 08:52 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

So I opened up the starter today, and the contacts looked pretty worn, so I replaced them, and no dice. Gonna check to see if I'm even getting continuity to the starter tomorrow, and hopefully go from there.

Maybe I'll check all the fuses as well, although I don't think I saw a fuse for the starter in the engine fuse box OR in the kick panel. Hmmm.....

Quick Reply: More starter problems