Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My 1jz R154 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 08:06 PM
Milenkoben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1jz R154 problems

Ok so I picked up an sc400 with a 1jz swap. It had the a340, but something was off in the wiring or ecu so it was in limp home mode. This sent me into the world of the R154. Now heres the thing, with the 1jz, theres going to be the tach problem, I got the msd tach adapter. Cannot seem to locate the igniter to pull the signal from, ended up having a friend hook it up, I think he used the cam position sensor. Now it works, but reads about 1k under.

Problem number 2 is the speedo. I saw one thread on what parts to use and an old Marlin Crawlers link that doesnt work. Is there a better and hopefully cheaper option?

Does any one thats done the R154 swap have an issue with a ton of hot air coming in under the center console?
Old 08-01-11, 09:23 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Milenkoben Ok so I picked up an sc400 with a 1jz swap. It had the a340, but something was off in the wiring or ecu so it was in limp home mode. This sent me into the world of the R154. Now heres the thing, with the 1jz, theres going to be the tach problem, I got the msd tach adapter. Cannot seem to locate the igniter to pull the signal from, ended up having a friend hook it up, I think he used the cam position sensor. Now it works, but reads about 1k under.

Problem number 2 is the speedo. I saw one thread on what parts to use and an old Marlin Crawlers link that doesnt work. Is there a better and hopefully cheaper option?

Does any one thats done the R154 swap have an issue with a ton of hot air coming in under the center console?
Not sure what year car yo have so I'm not sure which wire for you to tap for the RPM signal. Me being a 99 I took the signal directly from the ignitor (black) wire I believe straight to my tach wire, works perfect. As far as I know marlin crawlers site still works http://www.marlincrawler.com/ also for your speedo you can get parts from http://www.driftmotion.com/ and ya ever since im running turbo setup and also r154 it gets hot under there. Just make sure you seal the holes well, and what I'm going to do to prevent heat is remove my whole carpet/consol and dynomate all of it and the firewall. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-11, 09:30 PM
Milenkoben
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wanted to take it from the igniter, but where the hell is the igniter on these? its a 97. i guess he got it working with the tach adapter and a resistor, its off about 250 rpm