Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Starter single click when "cold"... contacts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 01:56 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter single click when "cold"... contacts?

I think I've fallen victim to the dreaded SC400 starter problems. This morning I go to start my car and get nothing but a single click. I turned the key numerous times with the same result. After checking battery terminals and eventually just disconnecting the battery for a while to reset the ECU still the same thing... one click. It was about 60 degrees, so not really "cold", but a few hours later after it's warmed up a bit outside I go to start it and it cranks first try. I held it for only a second or two, but didn't start. Second try I get a single click, and on the third it cranked and eventually started with a ton of white smoke coming from the exhaust for about 5-10 seconds (possibly from excess fuel from prior start attempts). There has been no prior signs of the starter failing before. Can a bad ECU also be a contributing factor here? The capacitors have leaked and been replaced, but I feel they have damaged another nearby component on the board. It pretty regularly throws a code 27. Any insight on other things to check before I delve into the horrors of SC400 starter replacement would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-11, 03:55 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That looks more like a dead battery than a starter issue. Did you check your alternator recently? Do you use your SC as a dd? As I don´t, I have to disconnect the battery terminals so it won´t drain it. If battery power isn´t enough, you´ll only hear a single click.
Old 07-25-11, 05:14 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car is driven every day and Battery is at 12v, although it is a few years old. When my old battery died it would click rapidly when you hold it to start. Like I said it started right up when it got warmer outside so I'm thinking its the starter solenoid/contacts. unfortunately...
Old 07-27-11, 03:08 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sorry but it sounds like the dreaded starter issue. my sc300 did the exact same thing. eventually it will wear down to a point where it takes like 10+ tries or doesn't engage at all. hate to see it happen on a 400 cause its so hard to change. 300 is easy in comparison.
the click you are hearing is the sound of the plunger bottoming out before the ring on the top of it is able to touch the contacts in the starter and complete the connection, at the beginning stages its sort of random if it will touch or not, keep at it and also tapping the starter on the side can help (sc300). once the contacts fully wear though, the plunger will not be able to complete the connection and engage the starter.
Maybe its time to drop a vvti motor in and call it an upgrade?
Old 07-29-11, 09:55 PM
mikevandam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah bro it sounds like your starter is going out. i had the SAME situation that happened to me; one click, barely cranks when the cold start injector engages, and then the white smoke. i took it to Toyota as soon as it started. I assumed it was the starter so i was like screw it, change the starter. Guy said it was a $1000 job. long story short, my starter worked every time i cranked it but had a horrible grinding noise. sounded like the flexplate or perhaps the gears rubbing against each other or something in the starter. so had a friend swap a oem (denso) starter and worked like a charm. solved my problem