Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bringing the 1UZFE to life!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-11, 07:30 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Bringing the 1UZFE to life!

I have decided to post about my decision on building a new motor. After tearing apart the extra SC I had, I have decided to build the V8 motor. I have done alot of research and it seems that everyone wants to put in the IJZ or the 2JZ, wether it being a TT or a single. I wanted to be different somewhat and just see how much I could get out of this motor. Everyone seems to agree that this bottom end is pretty much bulletproof but could always be a little better. I have contacted ScottURNOT and awaiting his phone call back on his trial and errors and recommendations. For those of you who dont know who Scott is, he is an engineer from kansas and has had some remarkable success with his different designs and creations with the V8's.

In the next two months I waiting to gather parts and further my research alot more to get some true numbers at what I am looking at. I think I will start with port and polish the head, along with intake and exhaust ports. Run JE pistons and rings, slightly bored over, stage II lextreme cams, custom made headers, and so on. I am also going to replace all the seals and bearings while I have it out. My goal is to keep the stock appearance and the AC. It gets too hot here in Alabama for no AC.

I know the stock motor puts down around 175-190 to the wheels, with quite a bit of power loss through the restricted intake, headers, exhaust, and drivetrain. I have already done the BFI and plan on reusing it again. This is why I am going to redo the exhaust again and hopefully find someone here local that will be able to build a good set of headers. I plan on heat wrapping them in black and swapping the auto tranny out for the W58. The W58 has been known to hold up to 400HP, which this is pushing it to the max, but I believe I can find these local and pretty cheap. The swap has been done on here several times and with the help of RedPhoenix's DIY, it makes life a bit easier. Thanks RedPHoenix to the contribution.

In the end I want to achieve possibly maybe 100 more HP, but we will see. This might NOT be achievable but I want to keep the stock look, and the reliabilty to drive it cross the country.

I wanted to ask some question and is open for discussion..

Will the stock ignition system or upgraded one be necassary? Why? Why Not?

Will the stock clutch of the W58 be sufficient or replace it with an ACT while I have it out?

How much can I shave and port without hurting the reliability?

Which gasket set is the best for the heads and such?

If the power is not where I wanted, could I run a wet shot of NOS of100 shot or so? Anyone run NOS on their V8?

Will the stock fuel pump be effecient enough or a Walbro 255 be needed?

This is going to be an ongoing thread for awhile, so check back often.. Will post pictures along the way of the progress. If anyone would like to share your thoughts and place some contributions into my Fall project, please do so. Any input or advice, especially from doing trial and errors on this motor would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-02-11, 09:16 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus

In the end I want to achieve possibly maybe 100 more HP, but we will see. This might NOT be achievable but I want to keep the stock look, and the reliabilty to drive it cross the country.

I wanted to ask some question and is open for discussion..

Will the stock ignition system or upgraded one be necassary? Why? Why Not?

Will the stock clutch of the W58 be sufficient or replace it with an ACT while I have it out?

How much can I shave and port without hurting the reliability?

Which gasket set is the best for the heads and such?

If the power is not where I wanted, could I run a wet shot of NOS of100 shot or so? Anyone run NOS on their V8?

Will the stock fuel pump be effecient enough or a Walbro 255 be needed?

This is going to be an ongoing thread for awhile, so check back often.. Will post pictures along the way of the progress. If anyone would like to share your thoughts and place some contributions into my Fall project, please do so. Any input or advice, especially from doing trial and errors on this motor would be greatly appreciated.
stock ignition is fine for those power levels.

depending on how much power you net the stock clutch could work out fine, but while its out you may as well get something one step tougher. like a act full face street disc and the heavy duty pressure plate. will engage little stiffer than stock.

dont know about shaving but porting out you can sort of tell where you have to stop.

Toyota or Lexus OEM gasket set.

people have run nos before with success. how much you not sure im not a nos guy.

you can use the stock fuel pump. maybe to the 12v fuel mod.
Old 07-02-11, 06:39 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Ali SC3 thanks for your input. I was thinking of using the stock gaskets and seals also. I am already doing the 12 volt fuel pump mod. After further research The stock lines and pump will supply sufficient fuel to the motor. My Lexus mechanic also told me that the stock injectors are under rated from the factory originally. They also should do just fine, even if I changed to the Walbro 255 pump. That is good news.. Saving me a few bucks. I will plan on changing out the OEM clutch to something a little more aggressive while its out, along with the throw out bearing and such.

I would like a little more info on using JE pistons and NOS. The threads that I have read is that running NOS is always an ifffffyyyy situation. Some poeple dont know when to stay when and push the limits and end up blowing something up. They have also said that running half of what the motor output is always a safe limit. In other words if the motor puts out 300 HP on average, then a shot a 150 is the absolute max. I would never run that much, maybe 80-100 tops. I want to be within safe limits. Whats the main difference between the wet shot and dry shot? Which is better, need some clarification on this.

On the porting I will leave that to my buddy that has done it several several times on 1J and 2J, but NEVER on a 1UZ.. I have ful trust in him just the way he carries himself and his knowledge under a car. He used to work for Lexus in Nashville for several years. Now he doing it out of his garage on the weekends and now works at the Toyota dealership in service.
Old 07-03-11, 09:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah you wont need any fuel mods just do 12v mod. I wouldn't bother changing the fuel pump, its not necessary and you wont have a noisy walboro (trust me I have one in my tank). the stock fuel system is quite stout and can handle 300hp, people run 6-7 psi of boost without changing a thing because it runs so rich from the factory.

why change the pistons, your going to be spending a ton of money and the power gains will not really be there. you can get away with a 75-100 shot without opening up the motor at all. I dont know which type is better, im not a NOS guy but all these questions can be answered with a simple search, and check out lextreme.com

all i did was type sc400 and nos into google
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...sc400-nos.html
Old 07-04-11, 11:28 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I did read that thread awhile back, it was one that I found earlier, but no more than a couple of replies and suggestions. I have been reading alot on Lextreme.. I appreciate any feedback fella's. Thank!
Old 07-04-11, 04:30 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When your building a motor you need to have a certain goal in mind. Horse power #'s, reliability, & overall cost to get to your goal. To determine if its worth it or not. You only buy custom piston's for a couple of reasons. 1 is to change your compression ratio. Down for boost, & up for N/A build. 2 or just to have stronger pistons ie forged for nitrous.

Your main 3 restrictions are intake manifold, heads, & exhaust. Not much you can do about the intake manifold, except port match that & maybe have them extrude honed. Heads you can have them ported & polished & port matched also. You may want to look into going alittle larger on valves & higher valve springs. Valve spring's for sure. Now to the exhaust. Its gonna cost you alot of money to have custom headers built. Your best bet is to just buy some IMF or PPE headers. IMF have the EGR port you need if your keep your EGR system. PPE's allow you to keep your cats in the factory location. IMF's are like 500-600 & PPE's are 600.

Ok so lets just say you do all of that. Higher compression piston's, heads, cams, intake, W58 & exhaust. You can probably make 300-350 whp. Now without very good hookup's that build will probably cost you 10-12K rollin down the road.
Old 07-04-11, 04:44 PM
MrHimbert
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spdrcr771
When your building a motor you need to have a certain goal in mind. Horse power #'s, reliability, & overall cost to get to your goal. To determine if its worth it or not. You only buy custom piston's for a couple of reasons. 1 is to change your compression ratio. Down for boost, & up for N/A build. 2 or just to have stronger pistons ie forged for nitrous.

Your main 3 restrictions are intake manifold, heads, & exhaust. Not much you can do about the intake manifold, except port match that & maybe have them extrude honed. Heads you can have them ported & polished & port matched also. You may want to look into going alittle larger on valves & higher valve springs. Valve spring's for sure. Now to the exhaust. Its gonna cost you alot of money to have custom headers built. Your best bet is to just buy some IMF or PPE headers. IMF have the EGR port you need if your keep your EGR system. PPE's allow you to keep your cats in the factory location. IMF's are like 500-600 & PPE's are 600.

Ok so lets just say you do all of that. Higher compression piston's, heads, cams, intake, W58 & exhaust. You can probably make 300-350 whp. Now without very good hookup's that build will probably cost you 10-12K rollin down the road.
oh F that.....thats why im just gonna piece together a turbo kit for my 1UZ...should only cost about 3500 from what i have been reading, but thats with some frankenstien ***** hahah but well worth it
Old 07-05-11, 09:21 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrHimbert
oh F that.....thats why im just gonna piece together a turbo kit for my 1UZ...should only cost about 3500 from what i have been reading, but thats with some frankenstien ***** hahah but well worth it
forced induction is really the way to go in this case, supercharge it, turbocharge it, or swap it.
Old 07-07-11, 07:23 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is the reason for me doing something different. I havent seen but a few guys actually build up their 1UZFE. I would like to in the future do a supercharger, turbo, or what not, but I believe the basics as for the reliability is building the motor correctly from the start, then add some other mods to it later. In this case, I know the motor was built right and will be ready for anything I throw it.... well maybe. I will be posting pictures of the progress tomorrow.

I really dont think it will 10-12k in all the work that I will be doing.. I will be gathering more info on this as I tear the motor down.

I have already pulled the motor and began working on it. I have alot done already so check back often.. Thanks for the inputs!
Old 07-07-11, 09:22 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1992Lexus
This is the reason for me doing something different. I havent seen but a few guys actually build up their 1UZFE. I would like to in the future do a supercharger, turbo, or what not, but I believe the basics as for the reliability is building the motor correctly from the start, then add some other mods to it later. In this case, I know the motor was built right and will be ready for anything I throw it.... well maybe. I will be posting pictures of the progress tomorrow.

I really dont think it will 10-12k in all the work that I will be doing.. I will be gathering more info on this as I tear the motor down.

I have already pulled the motor and began working on it. I have alot done already so check back often.. Thanks for the inputs!
Sounds good man. Im excited to see what all your gonna do. The money I quoted is on the high side. But like I said thats no hookup's, & thats doing it all. Remember if your wanting to boost it later on. Then dropping 1K+ on high compression pistons might not be good. Post them pic's man.
Old 07-08-11, 07:17 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Cleaned up some plastic pieces yesterday afternoon at the fire station.. Made some, but slow progress.
Old 07-08-11, 06:23 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Default A few pictures

Here some photos from my buddies IPhone 3GS.. Pulling it from the car and some on the tear down.. Its dark my garage, but you all get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails Bringing the 1UZFE to life!-img957604.jpg   Bringing the 1UZFE to life!-img951958.jpg  
Old 07-08-11, 06:28 PM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock W58 clutch won't even hold stock 1UZ torque. I know from experience. Definitely get more clutch.
Old 07-08-11, 06:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I was thnking along the lines of ACT or something equivalent.. Any more suggestons? These are the comments that want to hear about... Along the lines of experence.
Old 07-08-11, 06:39 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Damn dude, did you just bust out the Milwaukee Saws-all & go to town or what. lol Just kidding.

Quick Reply: Bringing the 1UZFE to life!