Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Muffler measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-02, 02:19 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Muffler measurements?

Hi, I'm new and just registered on this board today because I need to know what kind of measurements will fit my car (1996 SC400) as I'm going to replace the mufflers on it. I'm hoping someone has or knows where I can find the proper measurements or can tell me if the ones that I'm listing below will work with the car; I would take the measurements myself but I simply don't have time as I have school and work every day and wouldn't have a chance to do this until the end of the weekend =(

2 1/2 Inch inlet
Tip is 4 1/2 inches wide and 8 inches long
Body measures 13 Inches long and 8 inches wide
Overall length is 25 inches from tip to inlet

I'm considering putting a couple of mufflers with these measurements on my car and was told they will *probably* fit, but I want to make sure before I go ahead and do it. Thanks!
Old 09-12-02, 09:07 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

4.5 X 8" tips OMFG!! Those those are pretty frigging big and long. I don't know if the 8" tip will be sticking out too far. You might want to check.

Stok pipe diameter is 2.25 I believe, but 2.5 will fit w/ proper flange.

Just make sure the inlet and outlet are both offset (meaning none in the center, and offset on opposite sides)

Are you sure of that overall length? Usually they are 19" overall length (3" per inlet/outlet). I'd double check your measurements. Measuring the muffler yourself takes all of 5 seconds to do. Grab a tape measure and just kneel down; the mufflers are right there on the back. Exhaust sys aren't cheap so make sure youre buying the right part. Don't just take our word for it.

Keith
Old 09-12-02, 12:57 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Bleh. Both the inlets and tips on the mufflers I was looking at are centered. That overall length I mentioned was from the inlet to the end of the 8' tip, which is why it might have seemed too large, but it doesn't matter anymore as I won't be putting them on :|
Thanks for the help, Kieth.