Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

W58 to 1UZ peeps chime in

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 06:23 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default W58 to 1UZ peeps chime in

So my tranny took a crap on me last weekend and expedited my 5spd swap. I'm collecting all the parts and was wondering how many of you just went ahead and bought the whole kit from quantum and who sourced each part on their own. Since I have someone local willing to sell me the adaptor plate for a lot less than what quantum is asking for, I figured I'd be able to just source them all from direct vendors to save up a few $$. Here's what I already have:

92 sc300 w58 trans
92 sc300 manual driveshaft
driftmotion pedal kit
clutch master cylinder
IMF 4-2-1 Headers (yes, it's been sitting in the basement for a long time)

buying the ff soon from driftmotion: shifter boot, marlin crawler vss speed sensor, trans mount

here's what I need input on:

adapter plate - local guy willing to sell to me for cheap, brand new unused from Rush Imports 2 years ago. He was going to mate his 89 mk3 w58 with the 1UZ but changed his mind. He also has a a341e bellhousing that I won't need but that was what he was going to use.

Flywheel - I am not a fan of redrilled 3sgte flywheels so I'll pay insurance and save my legs and just go with either quantum or bullet on this. Whoever can have a faster turnaround wins. (input on both shops turnaround and delivery will be helpful here)

Clutch kit - I need suggestions here. I know I would be needing a 7mge clutch kit for the quantum flywheel. Motor will be unopened, just BFI and IMF headers.

Quartermaster TOB: http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=v...ter%20Bearings

the clutch line kit and the quartermaster slave spacer can be ordered elsewhere as well but these are the minor parts that don't cost too much.

Total for all comes out to $250 less than the kit that quantum sells. I am just making sure that any 7mge clutch kit will work with the Quantum flywheel. If it would work, then I'll just go ahead and source them myself.

Also, would appreciate inputs on who went with the 11lb. aluminum flywheel (6 pound difference over the 17lb. steel fw, for $300 more? the stock sc300 flywheel is 30+lbs.) I know it's good for launching being able to rev to a higher rpm faster off the line but I'm not sure there would be a big difference.

Feel free to add anything else I might need. Thanks guys.

Last edited by mr2tosc4; 05-27-11 at 06:13 AM.