Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jzgte bucks...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-11, 10:48 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jzgte bucks...

Yesterday out of the blue, while coming to a red light I let off the gas and while approaching the light it turned green. I placed my foot on the gas and the bucking began. The engine would return to normal rpms but I did notice my AFR's at rich levels (10's to be exact).

Since it isn't at idle, IACV I have ruled out but will check anyway..
Ignitor going bad??
Temp sensor being heat soaked??
O2 sensor??
ECU??

The CEL lights does come on but then disappears once the engine goes back to normal.

Anyone experience this issue with their 1JZ..

I did notice, the adjustment screw on my knock-off BOV, mysteriously disappeared but I don't think that is the issue.

Crank sensor is new
TPS was replaced a few months ago (not in FSM specs) but doubt it would be the culprit.

Any suggestions/direction would be helpful.

Jae

Last edited by Luv2xl; 05-23-11 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 08:25 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

working on it tomorrow.. will update for anyone who experiences this..
Old 05-26-11, 09:15 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like maybe map sensor or ecu to me. check for vac leaks also.
Old 05-26-11, 01:42 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sounds like maybe map sensor or ecu to me. check for vac leaks also.
Ali, thanks.. will add map sensor to the list..
Old 05-26-11, 04:48 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id be ready with the jumper wire, then soon as the code hits, pull over and check it.
Old 05-27-11, 06:00 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RyanV
id be ready with the jumper wire, then soon as the code hits, pull over and check it.
Ryan.. if and only if I was quick enough.. that CEL disappears faster than lasagna! lol

I could try to replicate it and then check the codes.
Old 05-27-11, 11:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

phantom cel's, getting more interesting. usually points to one thing.
you may have a broken coilpack connector, check all for broken clips, and replace even if it looks like its on there snug. this type of code triggers the cel and then will dissapear, you can also check the injector connectors but since the coilpack connectors get used more often they get brittle and break often from the heat, i always buy several extra cause i almost always break 1 whenever i move the coils around.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...an-idea-to-fix

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-27-11 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 11:26 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

phantom cel's, getting more interesting. usually points to one thing.
you may have a broken coilpack connector, check all for broken clips, and replace even if it looks like its on there snug. this type of code triggers the cel and then will dissapear, you can also check the injector connectors but since the coilpack connectors get used more often they get brittle and break often from the heat, i always buy several extra cause i almost always break 1 whenever i move the coils around.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...an-idea-to-fix
good point.. as I am aware that my coil pack connector plug/clips are broken, not all buy 2 out of the 6. As for the injector clips, I will check as well however, when the bucking bronco kicks in, my AFR gauge reads pig rich. So I am leaning more towards the coil pack connectors like you mentioned and will also check the top of the snout that comes from the actual mechanism.
Old 05-27-11, 11:51 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah having 6 of those connectors/coils must be a pain. Im glad i only have 3 coilpacks, and when they disconnect its easy to tell cause you loose 2 cylinders, which has a unique diesel sound to it.
Old 05-27-11, 12:50 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

yeah having 6 of those connectors/coils must be a pain. Im glad i only have 3 coilpacks, and when they disconnect its easy to tell cause you loose 2 cylinders, which has a unique diesel sound to it.
haha.. nice.. i read your thread about the COP conversion and definitely beneficial in more then one way..
Old 05-27-11, 08:33 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I been having this problem from the time I dropped the motor in. Let me know if you found the problem. I had my ECU recapped recently, got it back today and it still stutters.

Im thinking coilpacks, tps and MAP next. I just wanted to eliminate what was the least expensive.
Old 05-31-11, 07:59 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

SO...... While about to start the test I decided to turn on the car and tap the wiring of the BCC, FCD and SAFC to the ECU patch harness to check all was tight. And it wasn't, the BCC wire was loose, as I tapped the wiring the car would start to miss and run rich, then when I touched it again, the car would run perfect. Redid the wiring and back to normal, boosting 16lbs on stock twins and installing a MBC soon to crank it up. WIN! or ZING! find out soon enough.. lol

So the lesson here boys and girls is to go over your wiring and make sure all connections are nice and tight!

Last edited by Luv2xl; 05-31-11 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-31-11, 06:00 PM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
Yesterday out of the blue, while coming to a red light I let off the gas and while approaching the light it turned green.
almost always an ignition problem, i am pretty good with diagnostic to a point. the same thing was happening to my jeep. you should check your plugs for there condition
Old 05-31-11, 07:18 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

so it was sort of map sensor related. nice find!
Old 05-31-11, 08:41 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
SO...... While about to start the test I decided to turn on the car and tap the wiring of the BCC, FCD and SAFC to the ECU patch harness to check all was tight. And it wasn't, the BCC wire was loose, as I tapped the wiring the car would start to miss and run rich, then when I touched it again, the car would run perfect. Redid the wiring and back to normal, boosting 16lbs on stock twins and installing a MBC soon to crank it up. WIN! or ZING! find out soon enough.. lol

So the lesson here boys and girls is to go over your wiring and make sure all connections are nice and tight!
Awesome man, glad you got your ride fixed. Im still trying to figure out my headache still. I tried Recappping the ECU, new plugs, and a new tps but still wont boost over 5lbs and the damn thing stutters.

Would disconnected wires on the body plugs cause this? I have 2 wires that are disconnected at the body plugs and dont know where they go

Quick Reply: 1jzgte bucks...