Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No boost but can hear the turbos spinning??

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 07:01 PM
Gezza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No boost but can hear the turbos spinning??

Hi guys and girls, just joined as i am about to buy a soarer tt off a friend.

Anyway there is an issue with it and its the reason i am getting it cheaper than it should be, but just curious as to what the issue is...

Basically its not boosting properly it gets to -0.2 on gauge and that is it it makes all the right noises just wont boost!!!

Now this is after he blew the last turbos up and has since bought these 2nd ones, which he said had no play in the shaft and both moved freely when spinning by hand..

So he had them fitted and now it doesn't boost car runs great and you can feel it pull just not hard at all but it trys..

The things i have looked at with him (trying to get him to fix it) but now he just wants rid.

changed all the vac pipes to new ones and checked the cooler pipes/wastegate hoses etc and tightened them up even lubed up the bov. we cant hear any boost leaks at all....
We can get slightly more boost out of it if we take out the restrictor but that still doesn't manage +0 on the gauge

The gauge is correct and accurate too.

My conclusion now i am gonna buy it is, it has to be the wastegates or something not put back on the right way?

Anyway any help advise would be great and highly appreciated so thanks in advance Gerry
Old 05-15-11, 08:19 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

For it to be that low (assuming your gauge is accurate), it sounds like you've got an open IC pipe somewhere. I would think an open wastegate/boost controller problem would still allow for more boost than that. I've got to say, I wouldn't buy someone else's mess though, even a friends, unless you have an exact understanding of what is wrong with it. Let him fix it or else make him sell it for a small fraction of what it's worth if it worked properly.

Old 05-15-11, 08:23 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Perform a boost leak test.
Old 05-15-11, 08:28 PM
Gezza
Driver School Candidate

How do you perform a boost leak test??

Intercooler is a new aftermarket jobbie

Its wierd hey the turbo/turbos do make a screech like noise and the car changes gears early because of this i think..

ie it changes around 4000rpm when on boost but under normal load nice and high as normal say 7k..
Old 05-15-11, 08:32 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gezza
How do you perform a boost leak test??

Intercooler is a new aftermarket jobbie

Its wierd hey the turbo/turbos do make a screech like noise and the car changes gears early because of this i think..

ie it changes around 4000rpm when on boost but under normal load nice and high as normal say 7k..
I'm telling you dude, if you truly are this much over your head already, DON"T buy that car! Just sayin ...
Old 05-15-11, 09:13 PM
Lexsingle
Driver School Candidate

Just bypass all the stock sequential stuff first wire it open so both turbo are on at the same time and if then you still have no boost, you either have a huge boost leak or turbo are screwed or could be wastegate problem too. But to start I try to get boost first
Old 05-15-11, 09:28 PM
Gezza
Driver School Candidate

Car is cheap though lol

Would the actuators cause it to not boost properly then??

he still has the other old turbos with actuators on that i could swap over???
Old 05-16-11, 04:09 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

A stuck open actuator can cause it to boost improperly, but having them both stuck open would be highly unlikely. Are you 100% sure the I/C pipes are hooked up properly and not leaking? IAC tube (the air hose that goes around the back of the engine) hooked up to the intake pipe? And are you sure the turbos he put on are not junk? If one of the turbos has blown fins (a common issue) it won't make boost period, even if the other turbo is fine. If one of those turbos is "screeching" like you describe, more than likely a turbo is junked.
Old 05-16-11, 06:14 PM
Gezza
Driver School Candidate

he assures me the turbos he bought were spot on??

Ie minimal play in the shaft all fins looking good etc

All hoses checked and the majority replaced.

With the actuator i was thinking maybe just on stuck and not opening closeing?
Old 05-17-11, 07:48 AM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for " boost leak tester" and itll show you how to make one for less than 10 bucks. Easy if you have. Compressor or do it with a bike pump.

And i agree with not buyin your friends not working car. Its a good way to end a good relationship
Old 05-17-11, 10:51 AM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't touch the turbo fan blades with your hands.
Old 05-17-11, 11:10 AM
mr/griffin
Lead Lap

it -sounds- like it whould be worth the buy if -all- it has is this leak
i am kinda good at diagnostics, try this....
on the pre intercooler pipes block them of one by one and test the psi if you dont have pressure rite at the turbo cold pipe then you have your problem!

Last edited by mr/griffin; 05-17-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 04:47 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Had the same issue on the 300ZX TT... took the charge pipes off and the body shop had dropped a bolt in the passenger pipe when it was off and it had lodged it self in the compressor wheel.

It spooled, heard BOV activate, but no boost on the gauge.
Old 05-19-11, 06:39 PM
Gezza
Driver School Candidate

Going down today to swap over the actuators and check the back turbo aint siezed or anything..

The deal is the same with him weather i fix it or not....
Old 05-22-11, 09:57 AM
tougelabs
Driver School Candidate

Before you pull the actuators see if they are opening and closing properly. As complicated as it seems they are in fact really simple. After you check the actuators pull the cold pipe off and block it with your hand off the intercooler. Next step would be to pull the hot pipes off and check out the compressor wheel on the two turbos, sometimes they shear off and then you have the exhaust turbine spinning and not producing cfm or the other way around but I'm sure you get it. Good luck ! Tell your buddy that your not going to fix a car unless he knows that after completion it's yours. I did a full turbo setup and spent two weeks on a buddies car when I was younger that I was going to buy and he sold it to someone else. Short story a bat was involved

Quick Reply: No boost but can hear the turbos spinning??