Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Dash fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 07:03 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash fuse keeps blowing

this just happened out the blue of recent. i bought a different cluster thinking it went bad but it was the fuse. If i change the fuse and drive the car normally, it doesnt blow but as soon as i go full throttle it goes... very annoying. Any ideas?
Old 04-18-11, 08:41 AM
Ebrake
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check your grounding, its the root of all evil in electrical problems as these cars age.

Most important ones to check for a dash problem:

1. Passenger side front fender, you have to take off the air filter box to get to it. You will see it bolted on to the fender. Take it off, rub down the area with sand paper so it can ground from the entire surface instead of just the bolt threads, also use sand paper on the wire terminals and the bolt to remove corrosion.

2. Top of the engine compartment, middle just below the windshield wipers. Same process, remove sand to clean area for good connection replace. (If the wires are looking corroded replace them, a stereo shop can make some cheap) Follow the wire, do the same to the other side.

3. Under the drivers side of the car, attached to the frame near the transmission. Remove, sand clean, replace. New wires if the old ones are corroded up. Follow the wire to the transmission, same process make sure its got a good clean connection for the ground.

4. Not the likely one since it would cause system wide problems. Main grounds for the car: follow negative battery cable to the engine block, clean up that connection the same. Another often missed spot is right next to the battery. Take the battery out, you will see that the negative cable is also bolted to the fender wall. This connection is almost always corroded on older models. Sand and clean it up, replace.

Then you should have good grounding thought the car, should help with most mystery electrical issues.

If that turns out to not be the problem you will need to start checking the wire bundles that go to the dash. You may have some worn wires or connectors that are heating up and popping the fuse.