Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

mk4 supra resistor pack wiring into 1jzgte

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 06:52 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mk4 supra resistor pack wiring into 1jzgte

Hello,

First off iv searched this subject on multiple websites and pm'd numerous people.

How does one wire a mk4 supra resistor pack with 6 black wires and one power wire to a 1jzgte?

The problem is the mk4 is sequential fire while the 7m and 1jzgte are batch. I know I could get a 7m pack but I want this to work because I know it can and I already own this. Also the mk4 has no color cordinated wires so how would I know which are the correct wires to splice.

As per the instructions on this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...n-1jz-gte.html

You are supposed to supply each injector with their own black wire from the pack. However will this work on batch fire? I really doubt it. So could I just cut and cap 3 black wires and hook the renaming three black wires to the batch groupings?

These instructions are for a 2jzgte vvti so I discredit this for a 1jzgte.

If anyone could give me info on this itd be awesome.

EDIT!:

solved, see post #10

Last edited by bryan767; 04-18-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-17-11, 07:51 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

edit:

you can wire these inline on a 1jzgte! see last post

Last edited by bryan767; 04-17-11 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 08:09 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am sure the 2J pack would work fine. You would just wire each black wire to the feed side of each injector and the main injector power to the resistor box power wire. Unless the 1J uses two circuits, one to feed each bank, it should work.
Old 04-17-11, 08:16 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

I might be over thinkn the whole problem but if its batch fire and I wire it sequential I doubt all the injectors will fire
Old 04-17-11, 08:20 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

Unless it doesn't recieve the pulse through the wires from the resistor box? But then why would it matter how u wired the 7m box with the batch groupings
Old 04-17-11, 08:28 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Bingo. The pulse is on the ECU side. All the resistor box side does is supply constant voltage.
Old 04-17-11, 09:25 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

You have to wire the 7M pack in the correct batch configuration because shared resistors mean multiple paths for power through parallel(divided) resistance(the injectors). With the individual resistors in the 2J pack it does not matter because total resistance is not altered by multiple paths for power as in the 7M shared setup.
Old 04-17-11, 09:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Looking at either resistor pack in a batch fire application, it seems to me that the impedance is still a good bit lower than a stock saturated injector circuit would provide.

High impedance injectors have what, 12 ohms impedance? That means in a stock 1J application, there would be 6ohms total at the ecu per driver channel.

Peak and hold 550s have around 3ohms? The 2J resistor pack is 6ohms per channel, but the channels are paired up for batch fire, so a total of 3ohms per injector driver, plus the two injectors at 3ohms each means 4.5 ohms total at each driver.

The 7m would give the same total of 4.5ohms per driver because 3ohms from the resistor box plus the two injectors still totals 4.5ohms per driver at the ecu.

So is 4.5ohms vs 6ohms that big a deal? I guess not, or ecus would be frying left and right when people go low impedance.
Old 04-17-11, 07:50 PM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

see this is the info i was hoping for before i had to trace down electrical schematics.

thanks for the help. i will be wiring in my mk4 resistor pack this week!
Old 04-18-11, 07:50 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

since im a visual learner i came up with this. i was really confused by the directions in the link i provided. you can splice the power wire (white) from the resistor box to black/white wires from the harness to all of the wires that you cut for power. however you could follow these 6 wires back into the harness to find the main feed, cut off the 6 wires and splice in 1 larger wire to the white resistor power line

Last edited by bryan767; 04-18-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-18-11, 08:19 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Both injector power wires do not come from the ecu directly. The signal wires that pulse the injectors to ground come from the ecu. The other power comes directly from switched power. At least on a 2J they do...

But yeah you have the idea of it. If it were my car, I would chase the power wires back into the harness to where they split off the main feed and run one wire from the main feed to the resistor box. I hate to see multiple hots just taped up hanging loose in the harness. Also, it is not very clean to take one feed, split it to 6, and then tie them all back to one again before feeding the resistor box.

I would not just use one of the branched feeds unless I knew that they were sized appropriately to power at least 2 injectors simultaneously.

Running the low impedance injectors is going to raise the operating amperage quite a bit even with resistors, so undersizing the main feed is a bad idea.
Old 04-18-11, 08:25 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

thats what i planned on doing, try to follow it back into the harness. and then cut off the 6 feed lines and run one wire to the pack. however i guess i could just splice them all into one wire like a dasey chain and run it into the resistor box?

the "to ecu" is to reference which side of the wire to cut splice into btw. either injector side or ecu side
Old 02-03-12, 11:55 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

bringing this back from the dead.

i used very thick wiring when i did this, and took about 15min per each of the first 3 injectors closest to TB and about 25min per each of the rest. prepare to have your back ache.. i didnt have any issues with them not working. i understand what you mean by the main feed line however i wasnt going to cut my entire engine harness to find it. it will still work, i recommend solder and then electrical glue and then either heatshrink or tape.. or both.