Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 motor swap to 1jz or similar

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 08:51 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc400 motor swap to 1jz or similar

hey everyone, i have a sc400, im looking to yank the motor and install a 1jzgte in it. im not looking for anyones opinion on how stupid i am for doing this swap. id like to know if anyone out there has swapped either a 1jz or 2jz into there sc400? will the jz bolt to the 1uz trans? though id like to go manual tranny, it may have to stay auto. thats why i come here

anyone done it? also id be willing to trade this sc400 for an sc300. my car has 214k on the clock, runs fine, no problems, major damage etc. would trade for sc3 of similar condition or blown motor.
Old 08-31-02, 01:05 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Waste of time, in my opinion. Never heard of it done - but it is a big world.
Old 08-31-02, 02:57 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by awj
Waste of time, in my opinion. Never heard of it done - but it is a big world.
guess you have never heard of a soarer.... see above where i asked for info and not the opinions of narrow minded people about the validity of the swap......
Old 08-31-02, 05:26 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, I guess I haven't. Try a search. Sorry to upset you.

Last edited by awj; 08-31-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-31-02, 05:54 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

ooohhhh im new to this ever so elite forum....anyhow this is what i do for a living, a customer and friend wants this swap done. im not hear to judge people for there choices rather to aid them in the installation...

so unless you have something concstructive to add..**** off.
Old 08-31-02, 06:58 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I merely answered your question with what I thought. If you want instructions, do a search. There are instructions on that too if you can't figure it out. Search on how to do a search.

If you would like constructive contribution, I thought I had done that with my original post. It is not impossible of course. I just don't quite see the logic in buying a SC400 to do a swap into to begin with. Just a lot more work. That is what I meant when I said, not worth it. But since this is your profession, you know that allready.

This should not be a flame for you. You are new and I gave you a constructive original response and you flame probably because you don't like my answer. I can apologize again if you like but that doesn't seem to make you happy. Lighten up and please refrain from acting like a child here.

I do not feel an elitist air in this forum, there should not be one and there is not one. I posted the gif because I feel you are acting childish and I have too much time on my hands.

Good luck. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-31-02, 08:55 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

well i specifically asked people to keep there opinions about wether or not the swap is worthless to themselves. but you wanted to throw in your .02 anyhow.

i guess you dont realize the 1jzgte is no less worthy than the 2jzgte. its just half a litre smaller so its going to make the power a little later in the rev range. also you may have overlooked the fact that the 1uz was never designed as a performance engine, it is all but ignored by the aftermarket, and really has no place in what im trying to do. further more this so called worthless swap may be not so worthless....possibly shaving nose weight off the car, adding a power plant that is much more tuner friendly, and converting from that crappy auto to a manual....i dont see how this would be a swap that is completely not worth doing. the soarer is a great fun to drive car, the sc400 is a uninspiring sluggish pig.
Old 08-31-02, 09:14 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

An sc300 would be a better platform in terms of this job. Why pull a big old 8 when you have a i6 counterpart, unless you got the SC400 at a steal or something? The ecu is similar. Wiring, etc. Whatever is clever.

Guess I overlooked the opinion thing - forget about it, sorry for the inconvenience. Good luck.
Old 08-31-02, 09:19 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

its a customer/friends car..he already has it. the car has over 200,000 miles on it. so to pull the v8., build it, reinstall it then try to upgrade its performance would be horribly expensive. or i could just drop the twin turbo inline 6 in there and call it a day.
Old 08-31-02, 09:30 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

refer to this thread

There are several more about this subject. They refer more to the 2jz-gte, but the principle is the same. This will not be a cheap job (depending on how far the guy wants to go performance wise), but corners may possibly be cut. The ecu issue - get a standalone like the new aem or the motec or haltech whatever they are - or the gte ecu. Tranny tunnel issue depending on year. Driveshaft issue - maybe locate the rear and drive from a soarer or customize. I guess you would want to locate as many jdm components from the soarer as you possibly can to create a usdm soarer basically. Depending on the accessibility to these items, the 2jz may be easier route to take - but it will cost more (or not depending on the availability of soarer components).
Old 09-01-02, 05:17 AM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF? You said that it was your car in the first post? Now it is a customer/friends car?

Im lost here ... ... ...
Old 09-01-02, 12:55 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should do an SC400-SC300 swap. Easier (and cheaper) to swap the car than the engine. (IMO).
Old 09-01-02, 01:08 PM
kawgomoo
Driver School Candidate

i just refer to it as my car becuase its easier than explaining the situation to everyone everytime i put a post out there...i have question about this swap on dozens of toyota and lexus related sites from all over the world.

and i know switching cars would be easier, which is why i have posts out there reqesting just that. but if no one wants to trade then im still stuck swapping this motor out of this car.

the guy is a good friend of mine. but since i do this for a living he is also a customer. im sure somewhere along this journey he will need to contract the services of my shop as i dont do sidework. i will not build engines for friends, i dont tune cars after hours etc. so if he would want dyno time, he would be a customer. make sense now?

im thinking i can get a soarer front cut from oversea's and the swap should for the most part be pretty easy...the only difficulty will be making the rhd wiring harness a lhd one.
Old 09-01-02, 02:47 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Go stand alone and make your own harness out of mil spec wiring

-Ethan
Old 09-02-02, 12:18 AM
T51R
Pole Position

Default well good luck on putting 1jz in sc400

well I have done 2jzget 6 speed swap and T51R on my car, and if I were you I would not waste a time to even think about putting 1jz or 2jz in it. There are alots of reason for that, and you metioned that only hardest thing to do is to make a new harness, well all I can tell you is harness is hard but it is not a hardest part of the swap. If I were you or you can tell your freind to buy a sc300 to the swap.
you might want to reserch on what is the different detween us lexus spec and JDM spec. you will know what I am talking about when you finally figure out what it is.

well I am living at LYnchburg VA right now so you might see me since you are in VA area.
good luck

Quick Reply: sc400 motor swap to 1jz or similar