Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Shifter Shaking / Rattling. Possible Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 02:55 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Shaking / Rattling FIX!!!!!!!

Whats up People. So Right now I have my 97 W58 Transmission down changing the clutch. I had a problem with my shifter rattling when I would drive.

I have read the Changing the Flex Coupler is a solution to to a shaking shifter but mine seems fine.

I believe the problems is with bad shift lever retainer bushing. Mine was completely shot. I have to wait for a new it to come in in the mail before i put back in my tran. I will post back if this does solve the issue.

The part I am referring to is 35575A. OEM P/N: 546-22010

Here are some pics!
Attached Thumbnails Shifter Shaking / Rattling. Possible Fix-shift-lever-retainer-w58-330136.png   Shifter Shaking / Rattling. Possible Fix-shifter.jpg  

Last edited by SOLID300; 05-04-11 at 06:03 AM.
Old 04-13-11, 03:02 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Also another reason why I decided to bring the trans, and change the clutch is because I had problems with clutch pedal falling to the floor. This would happen if I shifted at higher RPM's or downshifted into higher RPM's.

I first replaced both the slave and master clutch cylinder but that didn't help. I was then told that the pressure plate maybe bad. However when I took down the transmission everything seemed fine. However the Throwout (release) bearing and shaft were very dry. There was not a bit of lubrication grease on it. I was then told by a mechanic that could be my problem as it may stick when shifting harder.

Hopefully this everything will be fine when I do put my Transmission back up. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 04-13-11, 06:28 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think replacing those bushings for the cradle is good place to start for sure.

Titan actually sells solid bushings for those pieces, but they're for the V160 6spd trans.
Old 05-02-11, 06:36 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Just an update got my transmission back on yesterday. All Problems Gone. Those Bushing were the Culprit of my shifter shaking.

Also the Reason why my clutch kept falling to the floor during higher RPM shifts was because of my throw out bearing. It was bad and also sticking. I think due to the fact that there was no grease on the shaft.

With the New Clutch in and Transmission fluid I can honestly say my car has never felt so damn good. I love it. Centerforce and Redline FTW.
Old 05-02-11, 07:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thanks for posting this I have a 95 with the remote shifter and have been trying to figure this out for a while not, but haven't had the trans out. I tightened every bolt down there and my shifter rattles in 1st and 2nd pretty bad and smooths out in gears 3+.

I also have the same clutch pedal on the floor thing, but its only when I dont drive the car for a week+, then it returns to normal after a drive. did yours start like that? i may have to check out the bearing. thanks again, im ordering those bushings tomorrow.
Old 05-03-11, 03:18 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Actually it started when I we was racing a friend I as in third gear and meant to go to fourth but threw it in second by mistake. I immediately realized my mistake and hit the clutch to throw it in neutral. When I did the clutch stayed on the floor. I had to raise of it with my foot. From then on the shifter also use to rattle.

Just like yours though my shifter rattled most in low gears.

Good luck man.
Old 05-03-11, 01:53 PM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

check out the hydraulics ali
Old 07-09-11, 02:47 PM
SoarerJZ
Rookie

i have the same problem right now, i was wondering do i have to take out the transmission to do this or can i do it from the boot or underneath the car?
Old 07-09-11, 02:56 PM
SoarerJZ
Rookie

i know that this is kinda an old thread but i really need to know how to do this because its really getting annoying, thanks.
Old 07-09-11, 03:41 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SoarerJZ
i have the same problem right now, i was wondering do i have to take out the transmission to do this or can i do it from the boot or underneath the car?
it can be done, pretty easy to get to. I think Titan or MVP actually offers metal bushings as replacements.
Old 07-09-11, 05:51 PM
SoarerJZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by StiCk3
it can be done, pretty easy to get to. I think Titan or MVP actually offers metal bushings as replacements.
any links maybe??
Old 07-10-11, 07:26 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

I actually have a video I took while doing mine Ive been meaning to post up. I don't see you changing these while in the car.

Your gonna need the shifter cradle removed from the trans and on a bench in a vise, lol.

I'll see if I can find the video and upload it.
Old 07-10-11, 08:36 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Here's the video i took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWFctRzj7nY
Old 07-10-11, 09:04 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

oh i thought you were talking about the extent of taking the tripod out of the car. Tripod is going to have to come out no matter what, getting it removed is pretty simple though (for me, although i had the luxury of air tools )

Scroll down and you'll see the solid shifter bushings. http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...801&SearchYN=N It has instructions to go with it. The entire transmission doesn't have to come out, but you get a lot more room if you remove the tranny mount and drop the rear of it down.
Old 07-10-11, 09:49 PM
SoarerJZ
Rookie

Thanks guys this is really going to help out a lot! StiCk3 are those bushings the same ones that you got? and if so how is it?

Quick Reply: Shifter Shaking / Rattling. Possible Fix