Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I'm gonna buy this - any input?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 09:55 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm gonna buy this - any input?

swain tech coating, dp, closed loop, wastegate (not sure on type), and manifold - 1800$ (this is a PF/Rollhard piece)

any input - what are your impressions of this piece
Attached Thumbnails I'm gonna buy this - any input?-for-salew.jpg  
Old 08-29-02, 10:52 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ethan mentioned the SP setup was around $2900. I'd take the $2900 option, the SP manifold is a work of art, and is setup for much more HP with a better W/G, etc. I've heard in the past that the Turbonetics Deltagate doesn't hold high boost very well which appears to be what I'm looking at here. Other than that, its hard to tell if the welds are clean. Is this setup known to be reliable? Tubular manifolds have to be extremely well done in order to not crack.
Old 08-29-02, 11:12 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Hmm, thanks for your input. From my understanding that manifold is practically new and a few guys have this manifold. My main concern is with the deltagate - as someone else mentioned the same thing as you. Not too sure about all that - I'll do more digging. Can't afford 3g's now for a manifold, but I can afford the one in the picture. I can also get a brand new one without coating but with dp for 1650$.

Anyone else know if these things from PH/Rollhard hold up? Lex Luthor - I think, mentioned these things a while back.

Last edited by awj; 08-29-02 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-29-02, 11:59 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

id buy a toyomoto or an SP....i dont trust Pf any further than i could throw them...but thats my opinion.
Old 08-29-02, 02:35 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Here is the information I received from PF/Rollhard

The gate the unit is constructed for is a Turbonetics Racegate. Yes, we do have a ceremic coating option. The header is sold as a race part as such there is no warrenty. One thing though, we have had numerous ones installed and have had no failures. We have made in excess of 850hp on these headers with no problems. If you have anymore questions please feel free to shoot us an email. Thank you.
Torbonetics Racegate (deltagate?). Please elaborate on the issues with this unit. I'm planning on around 400 or so hp to start with - lower boost levels, but would like to go higher later - I have the 600 rwhp figure in my head.

Edit: I should read my pm before I go posting. Ebanks gave the rundown. The turbonetics like to stick once heated. But Tial makes a unit that will fit the flange - due to demand. Thanks man!

Last edited by awj; 08-29-02 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-29-02, 02:55 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

The racegate is a different gate. It isn't as ****ty (it is actually okay) as the deltagate, but it still isn't an HKS or a Tial IMO.

-Ethan
Old 08-29-02, 03:12 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The Deltagate is fine at lower boost levels, though. Had no problems with mine at all, but the highest boost its ever seen has been 18psi.

It boils down to whether or not you're gonna go with lower compression and higher boost. If so you're probably much better off with the HKS.
Old 08-30-02, 09:40 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

This deal is about to go through for me. On one hand I'm ready to get this going - but if I do this, I will wind up buying every component separate. I'm pretty confident everything will fit but not completely confident about the whole deal.

Scott, you use the deltagate still - on stock compression at 18psi? That seems like a decent amount of boost to me. At least for a year or so with tweaking and what not.

Not sure if I want to drop compression now - But I'm sure I will, so I may as well get it out of the way.

I would love to take a toyomoto manifold but as we all know these things are in "short supply". Guess I'll test it.

Last edited by awj; 08-30-02 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-30-02, 10:40 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the deltagate has worked fine... But I don't RUN 18psi on a normal basis. But one night I needed to take someone's money, so the boost had to go up. It worked, but only after a few precautionary tweaks (retarded timing a couple degrees more than usual, and 100% 116 octane). He should have smelled the leaded race gas and just conceded right there.

My deltagate normally sees 9-14psi (depending on rpm, fuel type and gear). I just tuned the AVC-R to set boost within this range. If at certain RPM I get a knock of detonation, I dial down in that particular rpm, if not, I dial up. The stock ignition map is all over the place as far as closeness to the edge of pre-ignition. Generally speaking the timing is more retarded from 5500 rpm on up, so there is room for extra boost on top (as my dyno runs have shown).

When the head came off the car, it showed some inconsistency, gunk, hard carbons, etc. on the backs of the valve. I think this may be in part because of the overly rich mixture I run (10.5 to 11:1 is my guess). So if you're gonna do this I'd be cautious about over rich for the purpose of increasing boost and lowering EGTs. I'm gonna try less fuel and more retard in the near future.
My low and inconsistent compression was entirely due to the wear/dirt in the valves/seats.

FYI the bottom of the engine was 100% even at 140k miles. After the head work, worst compression was 72/75 with most at 73/75.
Old 08-30-02, 11:44 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated. That is great to hear that the bottom was clean and unstressed. Sorry to hear about the head, but it could be worse I guess. What is the max numbers you have gotten out of your set up? I hope you do not mind if I drop a few questions here or there in the future.

Thanks all.
Old 09-03-02, 09:52 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

well with 140 k on the motor id expect a few deposits...i need to redo my head....i got 130k on it....as for the block.....i keep telling everyone how strong these motors are....i had 100k on my stock block...30k was hard turbo charged and it was BEEAUTIFUL....i could see the x marks still on the cylinder walls.....that motor could have handled another 100k.....i still say be careful on the PF manifold Jeff
Old 09-03-02, 10:38 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, I hear ya on the heads up. I wasn't too concerned about it but with all the crap I've got going on right now, I really don't need to be taking all this on too. I guess I just have to wait until I return from business abroad. Either, the PF header will be here or I can work something out on an SP header that was just brought to my attention this morning. I don't think either deal will work out at this point right now. The PF deal is getting shady and I won't be around to work out a deal on the SP. We'll see though.

What does it usually involve to clean out the head on this motor. I take it you did a complete teardown on your motor Jeff. How would you rate this job on a 1-10 scale of difficulty as far disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding?
Old 09-03-02, 10:42 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

all my stuff was done at toyomoto....i didnt do it myself...... Jeff