Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 07:28 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo purchased. AEM v2 Brand New In Box ( when it is in my hands I can tell you the kick *** deal I got) purchased. All other parts are in house. Time to get some work done...if I only had not worked ~ 60 hours this weekend with all these issues for the code deployment. I am beat!!

All I need to purchase at this time is the sensors for AEM and weld the IC piping, and powder coat and then I should be done. Getting happpppyyyy

Plans for the weekend is to get
dual pumps installed and all hoses linked up
finalize intake IC piping and tap holes in intake
install shifter, seal holes in tunnel, button interior back up

stretch goal: organize trunk and install battery cables to restore power
Old 02-24-12, 11:42 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

okay was thinking about something and wanted to throw this out before I put them in tank this week. I borrowed this from motorheaddown..

So if you see on one of the pumps there is filler hose. I was wondering if this would cause the pump to run hotter. I know it is the for vibration. I put it on both of my pumps and about to clamp them together and thought...man I can't wear a turtle neck because to constricting and I overheat. Would this not be the same issue? I am running two bosch 044. Should I run the filler hose between but not surrounding them...

I know E85 does not cool the pumps as well and everything other than injectors are setup if I want to run E85.
Old 02-24-12, 11:46 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i dont think you'll have a problem with the pump running too hot because of that rubber sleeve.

i think the e85 will cool the pumps off just as well as gasoline. i have never heard this before.

if you're concerned with that, just remove the sleeve and put one piece of rubber between the two pumps...
Old 02-24-12, 12:13 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

I will chew on it a little. I am just thinking that rubber retains heat and these both have a sweater on them now. However the fuel flows on the inside and the pumps do not sit in the fuel really so the fuel really does not cool from the outside --> in as well. Trying not to overthink it. Just making it clean.

I am selling that PC625 is anyone is interested. I just posted it locally on criager list. I was going to go with that as my battery but decided to go with the big mama one and say screw it to the weight savings.

Old 02-24-12, 12:20 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you running the 044 intank or inline? i thought you were doing an inline setup?

Do not run 044 intank if you gonna do E85, it's no no they will corrode in a couple months . 044 doesn't like E85 intank .
The E85 will distroy them intank, just find a way to put them inline or just get the Aeromotive. the 044 doesn't have the coating to withstand the E85 intank.

So you may wanna look into that.
Old 02-24-12, 12:28 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Are you running the 044 intank or inline? i thought you were doing an inline setup?

Do not run 044 intank if you gonna do E85, it's no no they will corrode in a couple months . 044 doesn't like E85 intank .
The E85 will distroy them intank, just find a way to put them inline or just get the Aeromotive. the 044 doesn't have the coating to withstand the E85 intank.

So you may wanna look into that.
I had read competing info on this so I was still looking into it. Actually a guy on here running 3... I just posted to his to find out if he had any issues. Not contesting it because I know there some (like on supraforums)that are adamant about not using 044 in tank. I am wondering if it has anything to do with daily driver vs weekend warrior.

I do not have the injectors to run E85 right now so I am not going to worry about it. I will only use E85 when I go through emission testing
Old 02-24-12, 01:02 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Bosch 044s are designed to be external pumps -- not internal.

i mean even on the 911s and crap that they came on OE, they're external. that's the way they were made. they're not supposed to go in the tank.

(sorry i didnt know earlier that you were using 044s in tank, when i made that post above)
Old 02-24-12, 02:45 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

hmmm you guys are making me think!!!! damn it LOL

so if I run these externally...how can I suck the fuel up.

okay bear with the paint illustration I did this while on a conference call. This is the initial thought UNLESS I wanted to pull the tank, wash it and weld AN fittings to the bottom.

It pretty straight forward. Currently I had the idea to run both pumps inside and Y them to a 10an line into the bulkhead to 10an line that I have run already.

it says fuel filter but it was supposed to say fuel pumps...I was working and half paying attention

Old 02-24-12, 04:37 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

You can run them inline like i did, i welded 2 fittings on the bottom of the tank and then ran the line from there then (2) inline filters then the (2) pumps then another (2) filters 100 micron SS mesh .I ran (2)-8an from the bottom of the tank to the each side of the rail .
don't worry about the welds because the metal on the tank it too thin so it wasn't easy to weld.

Old 03-01-12, 08:46 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

okay so I made a decision on the fuel setup...I am going to stay with the in tank setup....for now. I talked with Elite yesterday when I stopped by for some other stuff and if I can stuff them in there I should go that route. I know I will not be able to run E85 but right now I do not have a plan to. Also, most likely I will move this over to a sump system.

I did a little work...but not as much as I would have liked. We had the last week of Basketball for the boys and Football practice was going on. I actually have a free Saturday so MaMa said we are sending the kids to the neighborhood park so I can work
So got some goodies.

Just a little bigger

Going to order a spacer today to lift it up just a little.

So this came squished in the box. Not a big deal...if I have to get another one I got to. I tried to squish it back a little and then put in the vband clamp to round it back out and it worked a little. I might put it in with the turbo flange to fill up the hole completely and see if that does the trick...thoughts?

Fuel is almost all ready

Shifter extended. Need to take out about .5" from the middle. The shaft is also shorter ( I like a very short shifter) It shift very nicely and I like it. Need to take out the little bit because it runs into the bottom trim of the shift cover. No 2-4-R right now

Last but not least....
Old 03-01-12, 08:57 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

what turbo is that?
Old 03-01-12, 09:05 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cartmill
what turbo is that?
BorgWarner Airwerks S300SX3-66, S366, S300 91/79 with .91 A/R Twin Scroll Turbine Housing.
Old 03-01-12, 09:26 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

very nice!
Old 03-01-12, 09:31 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

^^ I think they sent you the wrong Turbo why? because it doesn't look like the 91-79 .the 91-79 doesn't come with the 90* elbow on the compressor, unless you had them do it like that.
It looks like an 88-75 or 83-75 but i could be wrong.
This is my S366 91-79, Now the new one is 91-80

Old 03-01-12, 09:33 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
^^ I think they sent you the wrong Turbo why? because it doesn't look like the 91-79 .the 91-79 doesn't come with the 90* elbow on the compressor, unless you had them do it like that.
It looks like an 88-75 or 83-75 but i could be wrong.
This is my S366 91-79, Now the new one is 91-80
man don't scare me like that LOL!! Yes I specifically asked for the 90 degree compressor because I did not want to deal with the welding and I knew it was going to need to come forward (for where I wanted the piping)

Quick Reply: Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154