Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 10:00 PM
619Rider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a place who can do all that chroming for less than 400 dlls
Old 02-17-12, 09:03 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it was another - life got in the way - stop in the project. I have been doing little by little but now making a push to finish this car. I have so many plans for it but I need to get her done.

I have spent this week ordering parts. Rest of the fittings are on the way from Summit (crazy the $$ I spent on fittings). I ordered parts to finish off fuel system (picked up another Bosch 044 so I will run dual intank pumps) and picked up the missing misc parts like clutch line, flex pipe, couplers, etc. I will have pics when they come in. I have sent the intake an valve covers to be welded by Elite Motorsports and came back very nice. I will be given them the IC piping after I complete the routing this weekend. Then I will be sending parts to the powdercoater.

What I have decided:

• IC, Intake plenum, water lines, and coil cover will be gloss black
  • valve covers will be clear coated after I hand polish
  • throttle body and pulleys I will leave polished color and see how they stand up.
Items I still need to purchase

AEM v2 with sensor (Wideband, boost, map, etc)

Possibly Radiator

Brake lines

new wheels

ABS in trunk, Fuse Box in trunk!!!

JIC Kit is almost all on...thank you lfers

Intake welded - happy with it. Will look real nice when PC black

Will have to turn throttle body sideways to clear the pulley

This was close...

Rear AN fittings to go to catch can

Valve covers with ports closed on the side. Will look nice polished!!

Last edited by ICONYQ; 02-17-12 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 09:30 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats one hell of a fuel upgrade. there are some good companies here in houston that can chrome what you want but i say go polished.
Old 02-17-12, 01:28 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICONYQ
It is from 1995 but there are a couple options out there. What I am going to do is measure the length I need and then go form there. From what I have see you need to do this and then possibly buy a custom fit one like Lokar.

Here is some pictures from supraforums (NinetyFiveNA) to show you what can happen if you do not measure and verify first...

damn. i hope that guy has solid motor mounts!
Old 02-17-12, 02:03 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

someone got early presents!!!

asssload of fittings...this is half, the other half I already have on

bosch if here...just need the sock filters from drift to get here tuesday to install

wrong color. Just ordered the black ones...I thought I told them black but owell. I will use these to mount the IC pipes and make sure they are straight. Not loosing anymore time.
Old 02-19-12, 08:51 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice build man.. I love it when I see things come together..
Old 02-21-12, 09:17 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

A-Team flash back

Well ran into some bad mojo last night when working...turbo is gone I need a new one. I need to decide on the turbo so I can finish up the piping.

Precision 6765 billet journal
Precision 6776 non billet, 3" Vband, 4" Inducer with a .81 Undivided Exhaust housing * just ran across online for a good deal
Borg Warner S366
Borg Warner S475

thoughts...

on the brighter side I did get more goodies in today. I need to get to work and get the fuel system complete. I will not be able to bolt engine all in until after I get the IC pipes fitted and welded as they need to go to powdercoater first.
Old 02-22-12, 05:52 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice progress.

I have used all these Turbos before and they are very different....
I used to be a precision fan , but after having all those issue, i decided to move away to BW.Why BW because they are reliable and they will last you a long time (6+ years with dealy abuse).

I had the 6765 with 81ar it was a nice , but i sold it to move on BW S375!

6765 will max out around 800rwhp on 3.0 with all the best mods without NOS.

S375 will make 1k hp no problem, it share the same compressor housing with the S372 which makes 850rwhp all day.

I then moved to the S372 which i end up selling , i don't even know why???

S366 is a badass Turbo it hits hard and make crazy power!!! 800rwhp No problem also on the correct setup.
I had one but didn't get to tune my car when i decided to change things up!!! I have seen it make 756rwhp on bone stock 1JZGTE with just 264 cams.

BW will be a little lazy depending on which turbo you get.. why because the housing and the wheels are usually bigger than pte's but make crazy power up top!!

My new favorite Turbo is the S362 you can get it with the new EFR techmology FMW Billet and it makes the power of a 67mm.

6776 is old school and they max out around 750 on the right setup all these numbers are either E85 or C16.

So BW gets my Vote
Old 02-22-12, 06:55 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Man thank you!!! now that is informative. I was leaning toward BW and would need a good pull to go to precision and you cemented it in...BW is the way I am going...I like the real world experience with both.

Any AR and spec combination you would suggest? I am looking for top end. I understand with BW I sacrifice moving the power band about 500 rpm to the right but I can live with that.

Here are some turbos I see for sale...if this is not ideal combo then I will go configure it. I am thinking the 88 might be too small Thanks you again for all the info. now I am debating between the 366 and 375

BW S366 ETT twin scroll .91A/R housing.
BW S366 91/79 with a .91 twin scroll

BW S366
Comp. Wheel O.D. 3.60
Comp. Wheel Inducer Diameter. 2.60
Comp. Wheel Inducer Diameter. 66mm
Turbine Wheel O.D. 3.14
Turbine Wheel Exducer 2.89
Turbine Wheel Exducer 73mm
Turbine A/R .91
T4 Flange Gasket
4in V-band clamp for the down pipe.

BW S366 Single scroll exhaust housing .88 a/r.
Borg warner s366 turbo w/ 91ar hotside
Old 02-22-12, 12:01 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Don't waste your time on that ETT technology from BEP it's crap ..
Call fullrace out in AZ, tell Raffi you want the 9179 which the BW Part number and he will hook you up.
Your DP will need to be modded because the BW uses the John Deere Flange on them (morman flange)
Then call Racepartsolution and buy the flange from them and then welded to you DP , no need to have full race the do the mod for you .. they will chop that flange of the exhaust housing and weld a regular 3" flange on it just like the on your old turbo that gave out.
I don't like the welds on the exhaust housing.

get the 9179 with 91divided , the 88 non divided will not spool any faster.

S375 is a different animal , on the stock block it will the fun out of it it will be laggy.If you can't reV to 9k rpm it's pointless.
You will have to modified your manifold or get a different one, and if you are not gonna push it to 900 rwhp don't do.

Again don't buy the BEP stuff they are overpriced and make the same power , that ETT stuff is some garbage don't do go for it.

gl
Old 02-22-12, 12:37 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Its not a bad idea to go with a twin scroll/divided just in case you ever want to do a quick spool valve later on all you need is an undivided manifold. Also on the other hand if you are not interested in a quick spool valve even later on using the twin scroll with a divided manifold would be the next best thing.
Old 02-22-12, 12:42 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats good news on the BW S366. I like to hear numbers like that with my same mods that I am doing on the 1JZGTE. Everyone says the sound of the BW is amazing, the only bad thing is that I havent never heard one in person. I will in 2 weeks or so. GL on your desicison making on the correct turbo for you and your needs. I also second that on the BW, just by the research of beating the crap out of it on a daily basis, plus the rebuild cost!!!
Old 02-22-12, 02:15 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Yes twin scroll with divided manifold work great , atleast that's what Geoff from Fullrace told me when we talked last year when i was on the market for their new FMW Turbo.

BW sounds amazing, have you ever heard those dump truck or eighten wheeler that sounds like a jet lol that's how the BW sounds , my pte sounded violent and loud but it's nothing like the S366 or any BW or GT42 style turbos.

The only thing that will hold you back trying to max that Turbo will be the tranny. and clutch lol been there done that..unless you drive it once or twice a week and you baby it!!
Old 02-22-12, 05:13 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

so this is the one I went with...it is the 9179 like stated above...ironically this is the one I was looking at and talking with Kirk(KirkMKIV) about. I am going to order this with ceramic coated turbine and going to get the 4.21 flange adapter to 4" so I can weld onto my 4" downpipe.

BorgWarner Airwerks S300SX3-66, S366, S300 91/79 with .91 A/R Twin Scroll Turbine Housing.

Rated at 500 to 830 HP

This is the largest of the S300SX3 midframe turbochargers from BorgWarner Airwerks line.

Wheel Dimensions:

• Compressor: 66 mm inducer / 91.4mm exducer, with exclusive Extended Tip Technology.
  • Turbine: 80 mm inducer / 73 mm exducer. Cast in Inconel 713 for high-temperature operation.

Housings:

• Compressor: Large 4.00" ported anti-surge air inlet / 3.00" charge pipe outlet
  • Turbine: .91 A/R Twin Scroll, with 'T4-style', divided entry, and 4.21" v-band discharge.
Old 02-22-12, 05:27 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

This was my 9179 , i was flaring out the flange so i can weld it to my 4" DP

Quick Reply: Part II: Engine Upgrades: 2JZGTE T61 R154