Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sparkplugs are drenched in oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 06:32 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparkplugs are drenched in oil

The SCs been sitting for about a week now cause its been driving like crap. Last week, outta no where it lost power. I thought I blew my HG cause of high mileage, over 200K.

Today it wasnt raining so I decided to run a compression test. Once I pulled the front sparkplugs(cylinders 1-3, the rears were OK) out they were flooded in oil, INCLUDING the electrodes.

I did a search, some responses were that the valve cover gasket leaks oil into the sparkplug valleys and gets to the plugs. I dont see this happening in my situation cause the walls going to the sparkplug valleys are clean, no signs of oil. I did see oil on top of my pistons when looking thru the sparkplug hole, so Im thinking the problem is internal.

Where can the oil be coming from? The compression test came out good, my readings were 230,230,220,215,210,210. The cylinders with the oiled plugs had high compression

Last edited by 6SOARER; 03-27-11 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 06:41 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

once i thought i had this problem--and the response i got was the same as you---valve cover gaskets leaking

im sorry i have no other advice to offer---good luck

hope its not too serious

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 03-27-11 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 06:54 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

I GOOGLED to see what can be some possible causes. Worn Valve seals, blown head gasket, cracked head, or worn piston rings were mentioned but dont have a certain answer.

My compresssion test came out good so most of these symptoms would not be plausible, NO??
Old 03-27-11, 07:10 PM
MidloSC
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valve guide seals most likely. Does the car smoke on start up, or any other time?
Old 03-27-11, 07:41 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MidloSC
Valve guide seals most likely. Does the car smoke on start up, or any other time?
Car does not smoke.
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
mak89
Pole Position

How the color smell of your oil? How does your engine coolant look? color? liquid or creamy?
Old 03-27-11, 09:06 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mak89
How the color smell of your oil? How does your engine coolant look? color? liquid or creamy?
Oil looks good, clean. My last oil change was about 500 miles ago, I havent checked my coolant. Ill do that tomorrow
Old 03-28-11, 07:00 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A cylinder that is flooded with oil will have high numbers regardless of ring condition. It is a common procedure to put oil in the cylinder and watch compression go up. That is a LOT of oil though.

So with all that oil in the cylinder and on the plugs, it doesn't smoke? That seems highly unlikely. Unless it's dead missing on those cylinders it should be smoking like a chimney...

So this is a boosted car, or not?
Old 03-28-11, 09:37 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
A cylinder that is flooded with oil will have high numbers regardless of ring condition. It is a common procedure to put oil in the cylinder and watch compression go up. That is a LOT of oil though.

So with all that oil in the cylinder and on the plugs, it doesn't smoke? That seems highly unlikely. Unless it's dead missing on those cylinders it should be smoking like a chimney...

So this is a boosted car, or not?
Its all stock with over 200K, no mods.

When I initailly noticed the power lose, I drove it home immediately and didnt see any smoke. The car would ping hard whenever I would mash on it, so I made sure I cruised it home
Old 03-28-11, 02:39 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

If you still have them, maybe it is burning it all off in the cats, and/or your cats are clogged or clogging, which would also make the car run like crap. I am not familiar with the PCV system on a GE, but you may check the pcv valve, as well as the power steering vacuum bypass to make sure its not sucking ps fluid through there.

It kinda looks like the socket and hex part of the plug are oily in the pics. Are you positive the recess in the head was not pooled with oil from above? You could try cleaning everything up really well, sticking some new plugs in it and driving it to make sure its not just the old puddle from above issue.
Old 03-28-11, 03:14 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

Are there any other tests I can perform to see if the piston rings are good?
Old 03-28-11, 03:59 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I'm not sure that a leakdown test will tell you anything conclusive with that much oil in the cylinder.
Old 03-28-11, 09:40 PM
myfonti
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Install new valve cover gaskets. I noticed the same thing(while changing the valve cover gasket and plugs lol) its a pain, but when done, the car will run better...
Old 03-29-11, 09:50 AM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to mention that I noticed my intake manifold has oil in it to. Its not wet oil, more like oil that has been sitting. This is more on the front runners, the rear runnners are cleaner.

Im kinda hurting for money now and I want to get this to checked out but if I bring both head and block into the machine shop, its going to cost me twice as much. I'd like to eliminate one or the other if possible.

Sounds like bad valve guide seals?

Last edited by 6SOARER; 03-29-11 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-29-11, 09:54 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Oil in the intake really makes me think PCV. I have no GE setup to look at the PCV routing, but you should check into that. Valve guide seals would not allow oil back into the intake like that. The oil would get sucked right into the cylinder from the follower bucket in the head, bypassing the intake.

Quick Reply: Sparkplugs are drenched in oil