Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Pump Issues, Don't know what to do next

Old 03-08-11, 07:23 PM
Warm Pudgy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Issues, Don't know what to do next

I just realized I may have put my original thread in the wrong forum. So I'm moving it here.

'92 SC400

Just got the car back from the mechanic, had the front suspension fixed and aligned.

Got it out on the road for a bit to try it out, noticed a burned electronics smell (solder, burning fiber glass, and plastic).

Radio wasn't working right, was making weird noises, then nothing. Turns on, but no sound.

Got it home, found that the smell was coming from the trunk. Couldn't find the source.

Went to turn it back on, won't start. Turns out I have no fuel pressure.

Pulled out the fuel pump, put it on a 12v DC, works fine.

Reinstalled it, turned key, FP doesn't turn on. I bypassed the FP ECU, still won't turn on.

Disconnected the pump from the wiring harness, hooked it to an independent power source, turned the key, fired right up.

I then went and bought some wire and a switch, wired the FP directly to the battery, switched it on, good fuel pressure turned the key and it just turns over and over.

Sprayed some starter fluid in, turned on for a few seconds and sputtered out.

Yes, I'm getting a spark.
Yes, I replaced the filter.
Injectors are fine.
New cables and plugs.

What else am I missing? I am seriously getting pissed off at this car, its just one thing after another, after another, after another. I'm about to commit insurance fraud and throw if off a cliff, that is if I could get it running for more than just a day.
Old 10-28-17, 07:13 PM
Javier214
Driver School Candidate

I know this is a old Post but I'm having same exact problem what was the solution to your problem?
Old 10-31-17, 11:58 AM
mrmj2u
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

two things to check:
1. EFI Relay in the main fuse box under the hood.
2. ECU...
Old 04-21-18, 11:57 AM
Javier214
Driver School Candidate

I'm still having this issue with this car I have swapped ecu and check k main relay car still just turns and turns
Old 04-22-18, 10:34 AM
Javier214
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Warm Pudgy
I just realized I may have put my original thread in the wrong forum. So I'm moving it here.

'92 SC400

Just got the car back from the mechanic, had the front suspension fixed and aligned.

Got it out on the road for a bit to try it out, noticed a burned electronics smell (solder, burning fiber glass, and plastic).

Radio wasn't working right, was making weird noises, then nothing. Turns on, but no sound.

Got it home, found that the smell was coming from the trunk. Couldn't find the source.

Went to turn it back on, won't start. Turns out I have no fuel pressure.

Pulled out the fuel pump, put it on a 12v DC, works fine.

Reinstalled it, turned key, FP doesn't turn on. I bypassed the FP ECU, still won't turn on.

Disconnected the pump from the wiring harness, hooked it to an independent power source, turned the key, fired right up.

I then went and bought some wire and a switch, wired the FP directly to the battery, switched it on, good fuel pressure turned the key and it just turns over and over.

Sprayed some starter fluid in, turned on for a few seconds and sputtered out.

Yes, I'm getting a spark.
Yes, I replaced the filter.
Injectors are fine.
New cables and plugs.

What else am I missing? I am seriously getting pissed off at this car, its just one thing after another, after another, after another. I'm about to commit insurance fraud and throw if off a cliff, that is if I could get it running for more than just a day.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was?