Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheating need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 09:28 PM
Scoobastev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Overheating need help asap

First off your reading this and consider helping appreciate all the help. Your a gawd.
Anywho. So the last couple of days my car has been overheating when I use the AC but I turn it off and down goes the temperature. Today however I get in my car and use the AC gets close to overheating and I arrive at home pop the hood and resevoir is boiling but not overflowing. I go inside and 2 hours later I get in my car and see the temperature gauge dropped but is now at operating temp (2 hours later) I decide to just drive anyway even though I have a daily. Dumbass mistake I know. And I get on freeway temperature begins to rise and eventually is at red line temp. Me being the risk taker continue to try to make it to school this is after 6 or 8 miles from my house. I tap on the gas pedal and it doesn't feel right. I begin to floor it to see if I get a response and no power. I pull off the freeway from the speed I already had going and engine is now smoking pretty bad and the smell of burnt coolant. I get it towed. And I'm at home I notice leaking from back of engine towards driver side. But I also noticed coolant all over my engine bay. So I check my upper and lower hose and they seem okay. So I have no clue where the coolant came out of resevoir is no longer boiling. Even tho it's overheated. The guy I bought it from two weeks ago said he replaced the radiator cap it's 0.9 idk if that mets spec. But before this sometimes my car would kind of take a while to warm up or sometimes I'll be on the freeway running the engine for about 10 minutes and the temperature was still at cold. This of course was before it begin to heat up in the inland empire😁. I want to pray it's a busted hose but I'm thinking the water pump is done or thermostat not opening at proper temperature I'm at 140k miles and have no history on the vehicle please if you give me suggestions where to start looking. All help is welcome thank you.
Old 04-29-15, 09:52 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you have a SC400 or a Sc300? Coolant @ the back of the engine could be coming from a heater hose or such. Hope you haven't blown a head gasket or worse by driving it. I'm familiar with the 1UZ but not so much on the 1JZ & 2JZ engines. Thermostat may have stuck so replace that first. Check all coolant lines including heater lines for damage. If rubber hoses are swelled & soft they should be replaced. Wouldn't hurt to have the coolant system flushed also. Has timing belt & pump been replaced as with the mileage on your car it is due, as they are required & 90 to 100k miles to be changed. AS soon as the car started to have a problem you should have parked it & began going over it to rectify the problem as smoking an engine can cost out the wazoo.
Old 04-29-15, 10:15 PM
Scoobastev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ramblerman thanks for the reply brotha I know I shouldn't have kept driving but missing school wasn't a option I know blowing a gasket isn't either but like I said I'm a risk taker. How would I check for a blown head gasket? And thanks for the other suggestions I'll be sure to do so. Do you know why it started overheating just when the ac was being used because it never used too when I didn't use ac but now obv problems have arrived and I need to tend to them. Even if I don't plan to use ac. And also forgot to mention I used green coolant and I read something about only using red coolant? Do you know where the best place to look for replacement parts or oem is the only way to go 2JZ btw
Old 04-30-15, 05:13 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AC tends to make the engine work a bit harder, my 1UZ will run a bit warmer when running the AC. The green coolant should be ok , I run it & have no problem with it, though I make sure I run aluminum safe. Some guys run all factory spec just to be safe. Make sure your radiator is clear & has sufficient air flow through it. In 97 they added the extra slot above the bumper just to increase air flow do to overheating in warmer climates. Be sure the fan is turning fast enough. The hydraulic fan set up if one of the sensors is bad will slow down & cause overheating. Thermostat not opening far enough, or not opening @ all will cause over heating. Plugged water jacket or radiator. Engine timing to far advanced Or running lean. Plugged cats. Bad water pump. Low coolant. These are just some of the things that can cause overheating. You live in California which seems to be one of the best places to get parts, online there are many sites to look for parts But shop carefully for your best deals. OEM can cost you an arm & a leg. Get a Pressure tester for your coolant system & check for leaks that way if you can. There is a lot of info on here that can be very helpful, & some very tech savvy individuals to help with your problems.
Old 07-20-15, 05:00 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

did you ever get your problem figured out OP? currently having over heating issues with my 1jz