Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

JDM 2JZ-GTE A/F at boost levels greater than 14psi

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-11, 10:44 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got some 550s, and I may eventually put them in to see how much the stock ecu can adapt to them. I have heard that in closed loop it can deal with 550s pretty well, but WOT is really rich. That may not be a prob if you crank the boost though.
Old 03-07-11, 10:54 AM
supra1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC51
^ ya thats why standalone or go home, can't see improving one part of the car and confusing/ possible ruining another part.

But as the post states this is just with the JDM ECU nothing else to see what guys are pushing out of the stock fuel system with of course upgrades such as pump,AFPR.

Anyone tried running the 550's without and safc just the ecu. If you turn down the fuel pressure a little it might work and run a little rich

Theres got to be more people on the stock setup so post up your numbers anyone else on a single turbo like myself?
Do you have any pics of your setup on the fuel rail, with the APR, did you bypass the stock fuel pressure reg? Does this cause any issue with timing if you are bumping up the fuel pressure like this because your air fuel ratios are good.
Old 03-07-11, 11:23 AM
lexusdog
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I just got some 550s, and I may eventually put them in to see how much the stock ecu can adapt to them. I have heard that in closed loop it can deal with 550s pretty well, but WOT is really rich. That may not be a prob if you crank the boost though.
I have also heard stories about this as well. I think I will try this first maybe with a adjustable fuel pressure reg to get it dialed in. I would also like to see how people have setup their adjustable FPR on the stock rail.
Old 03-07-11, 12:13 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Eh Im not the best picture taker but here it is, the rail mount i used a flange from a crappy fuel regulator kit, the one I ordered for Supra did not fit, my car use to have a returnless system so I have the stock return line for gte plugged I'm returning the fuel out of the Aeremotive Regulator because it wouldn't build pressure the other way.

I'm going to bump the fuel up to 45base tomarrow and see what I can run and re-post. My goal for summer would just be 18lbs, 14 is very fun as is
Attached Thumbnails JDM 2JZ-GTE A/F at boost levels greater than 14psi-rail.jpg   JDM 2JZ-GTE A/F at boost levels greater than 14psi-adfpr.jpg   JDM 2JZ-GTE A/F at boost levels greater than 14psi-engine.jpg  
Old 03-07-11, 12:16 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It's probably hard to tell while driving, but what kind of afrs do you see at part throttle, lower boost? Like building through 3-5psi? Or does it pretty much go rich right when it crosses 0 and goes positive pressure?
Old 03-07-11, 02:04 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

^ Eh Im not the best picture taker but here it is, the rail mount i used a flange from a crappy fuel regulator kit, the one I ordered for Supra did not fit, my car use to have a returnless system so I have the stock return line for gte plugged I'm returning the fuel out of the Aeremotive Regulator because it wouldn't build pressure the other way.

I'm going to bump the fuel up to 45base tomarrow and see what I can run and re-post. My goal for summer would just be 18lbs, 14 is very fun as is
Did you do anything with the stock fuel dampner? So you just have the adaptor where the stock FPR was and that runs into the AFPR and then back to the factory return line?
Old 03-07-11, 06:07 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

stockhatch It's probably hard to tell while driving, but what kind of afrs do you see at part throttle, lower boost? Like building through 3-5psi? Or does it pretty much go rich right when it crosses 0 and goes positive pressure?
I'll have a better idea tomarrow when its a little warmer but usually when its warmed up they were 14.7-15.2 at idle and cruise, I'll get back to ya on the low boost.

lexusdog
Did you do anything with the stock fuel dampner? So you just have the adaptor where the stock FPR was and that runs into the AFPR and then back to the factory return line?
Ya I'm pretty sure I by passed it. I have HP255 in tank to filter and line straght to FPR and out the other side to the fuel rail. I'm returning to the tank by the bottom of the FPR and to the fitting in the tank I added before.
Old 03-07-11, 09:11 PM
lexusdog
Intermediate

^
The problem with the vpc is that it will not work on a jdm ecu. Reason being is that it needs the maf signal to calculate even though it uses a map sensor in it's harness and eliminates the maf sensor. The jdm ecu and harness does not use a maf, nor does it have the wiring for it.

I would have purchased your vpc if it would have worked with my jdm setup but no such luck. It someone is using a usdm ecu setup the vpc will work fine.
Old 03-07-11, 09:58 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

lfrers
Old setup
USDM 2jzge
full 3 inch exhaust no cat
Headgasket
67mm turbo
40mm WG
Synapse BOV
stock cams
440cc RC injectors
AEM wideband
single Meth nozzle (what GE mani is good for)
Toyomoto ECU
AFC
VPC

This setup made 437 WHP on about 20 lbs 12 A/F
with poor piping!

The VPC & AFC were a popular piggy back combo and as you can see they work.

VPC worked well with MAP sensor but I wanted the meth control by EMS and better tuneability/safty.

New Setup
USDM 2jzge
full 3 inch exhaust no cat
Headgasket
67mm turbo
40mm WG
Synapse BOV
stock cams
720cc RC injectors
single Meth nozzle (what GE mani is good for)
AEM wideband
AEM EMS v2

500WHP again 20 lbs 12 A/F
even with a severly restricted 2" turbo inlet. haha
Fixing that now. Should be much better after redoing some piping.

PLUG (Complete VPC for sale in for sale section, Toyomoto ECU
going up for sale soon)
So you had the VPC working with the jdm /map ecu? If it can work maybe you can enlighten the rest of us, I just thought you had to have maf signal?
Old 03-08-11, 06:17 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone tried running the 550's without and safc just the ecu. If you turn down the fuel pressure a little it might work and run a little rich
I just don't see how that is ideal. You have an ECU that has fuel maps scaled to open and close injectors that are 440cc. You install 550cc injectors that are 20% larger. The ECU will still open and close the injectors the same because it doesn't know they are larger. Now you have 20% more fuel across the board. You add an aftermarket FPR to lower the fuel pressure in hopes of stabilizing the A/F ratio. This is two band-aid approaches. Some of you may argue "but it's cheap and it works." The last thing I will half-*** on any car is the engine management. It's amazing that in 2011, people are still using alphabet soup electronics to manage the most important aspect of their engine.
Old 03-08-11, 06:55 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

People have done it with success. Not everyone can drop 1500-3k on ems and a tune. People still run SAFCs, VPCs, BCCs, and even FMUs with success. We do what we can, and it has worked for many for a long time.
The following users liked this post:
Arussto (06-21-22)
Old 03-08-11, 08:27 AM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

^StockHatch is rite I know of 3 MKiv's around here making huge numbers with SAFC/VPC combo he said the biggest thing for power is the heads you port the heads add cams.

Also with a quality single Turbo pushing more airflow at all times, and if your head was very free flowing I bet you could get away with 550's on stock ecu. But we wont know untill someone tries..
Old 03-08-11, 02:30 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lfrers
Most people on here were just a gleam in their daddies eye then.
Dude maybe you should cool it with the smart smart aleck remarks. You've been on here since 03, act like this is the first time MAF has been used in 8 years, and don't know what mods you have and then tell other people to search for every retarded thing
Old 03-08-11, 02:56 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

lfrers Oh and sorry to make this afc & vpc vs ems. I just realised your thread title said JDM! I got retard strength bro I'll delete all this later. Sorry
Haha don't be sorry ya I did mean stock fuel/JDM ecu but its all good info your car made some decent power it looks like. Everyone can benefit from more knowledge and diff setups.

account2x
Dude maybe you should cool it with the smart smart aleck remarks. You've been on here since 03, act like this is the first time MAF has been used in 8 years, and don't know what mods you have and then tell other people to search for every retarded thing
??? Someone got Beef?

* I did do a test run at 45psi base fuel boost was at 15 WOT A/F at 10.2 with the CEL and it hauled cruising A/F's were 14.8-15.8 getting into boost low 5psi it was around 13A/F and dropping. The snail I'm running is kinda big so the boost kinda kicks in instantly roasting 2nd and breaking loose in 3rd
Old 03-08-11, 03:24 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

You got a CEL from cranking base fp?

Quick Reply: JDM 2JZ-GTE A/F at boost levels greater than 14psi