Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Long cranks on cold startup, bad FPR?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-11, 08:12 PM
boostd4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long cranks on cold startup, bad FPR?

Hi,

I searched but could not find any answers. I have a bone stock 1995 SC300 (except K&N drop in filter) with about 125,000 miles. When the car is cold, the starter kicks over just fine, nice and fast, but seems to take noticeably longer to catch/fire while cranking over.

Forgive the silly description but when the car is warm (say I drove it to the store, shopped, then came out and started it) it fires quickly like this:

Duh-duh-duh-duh-VROOM

When the car sits overnight and I start it in the morning, the car cranks just as fast, but takes suspiciously longer to catch:

duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-VROOM

And of course, somewhere in the middle if the car sits for more than an hour or two.

The starter has been replaced (not sure why) but it turns the motor over with no problem. The battery is newish, and doesn't slow crank (like a weak/low CCA battery problem) ever.... even in 10 degree weather, it cranks fast, just sometimes 2-3 full seconds before firing.

The car idles smooth as glass and runs perfectly otherwise. I don't have any other strange symptoms.

My guess is the Fuel Pressure Regulator is not holding fuel pressure and it's taking a while for the pump to pressurize the system after sitting for a while. I'm not familiar with the 2JZGE fuel system... is the FPR on the fuel rail? Is it easy to change? How about the fuel filter?

Any opinions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-28-11, 04:39 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess fuel pump, or possibly reg like you said. Have you tried cycling the key on and then off a few times to prime the rails?
Old 02-28-11, 06:32 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My 95 300 takes noticeably longer to fire than my other cars, I can hit the starter in my Cadillac and my Dodge work truck for a second or so and they fire right up. The SC seems to take about 3-4 seconds of holding the key to get it to start but it fires right up and runs normally. I've never thought there was anything wrong with it, it just takes it a bit to catch I guess. I would like to know if this is normal or not.