Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Good beginning 1j mods?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-11, 01:02 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good beginning 1j mods?

Im new to the whole having a 1j in a car thing, used to 240's and all the motors nissan offers for those, so I under stand that certain things you can do will yield greater results than others. That being said my car is a BONE STOCK 1j swap, down to the stock side mount and even stock exhaust and cats. What kinds of things should I look to start replacing to start freeing up some power. Is it worth it to spend the money on the Y-Pipe for the stock twins, or just yank them and go with a single? The car's and automatic and I would like to keep it that way, so Im guessing around 350 wheel is about the limit (please correct me if Im wrong). I was also told when I want to start cranking the boost its best to go with a 2zgte ecu due to being 16 bit and having better maps, is this something I should do right away?
Old 02-15-11, 02:16 PM
DonS1mpson
Driver School Candidate

I've heard it said that the standard air box and exhaust were designed to limit boost, so they would be (and were) my first port of call. A 3" system with a decat and a cone air filter (or look into the 'BFI' mod if you don't want to go the cone route) will see you good. One thing to bare in mind that boost cut often rears it head with a freer flowing exhaust. Your choices are either a boost cut controller or have a boost restricting 'plate' put in the exhaust to limit boost below the magic 1 bar mark.

The next stage is a little trickier. Personally I find that the 1J runs out of puff at the higher end of the rev range, something that can easily and cheaply sorted with a set of (US) 2JZGTE cams. They do need to be machined slightly but it is nothing major.

Then 440cc injectors from a MK3 Supra Turbo, uprated fuel pump, FMIC and something to tune it all with. These mods aren't necessarily going to give you a lot more horsepower, but it'd round your spec off well.

That's the 'simple' upgrade path. From on there I'd really be asking myself how much more performance I want from my car. I don't know what dynos read over there, but here you're lucky to crack more than 350BHP at the fly with the twins. If you want a lot more ditch them and go for a single. It is as simple as that.

For the autobox I'd look into shimming the valve body slightly to decrease shift times (or even getting a complete uprated valve body from Australia), a 'Suprastick' transmission controller when you realize that the Gearbox ECU is COMPLETELY retarded and a separate transmission cooler .
Old 02-15-11, 04:05 PM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DonS1mpson
I've heard it said that the standard air box and exhaust were designed to limit boost, so they would be (and were) my first port of call. A 3" system with a decat and a cone air filter (or look into the 'BFI' mod if you don't want to go the cone route) will see you good. One thing to bare in mind that boost cut often rears it head with a freer flowing exhaust. Your choices are either a boost cut controller or have a boost restricting 'plate' put in the exhaust to limit boost below the magic 1 bar mark.

The next stage is a little trickier. Personally I find that the 1J runs out of puff at the higher end of the rev range, something that can easily and cheaply sorted with a set of (US) 2JZGTE cams. They do need to be machined slightly but it is nothing major.

Then 440cc injectors from a MK3 Supra Turbo, uprated fuel pump, FMIC and something to tune it all with. These mods aren't necessarily going to give you a lot more horsepower, but it'd round your spec off well.

That's the 'simple' upgrade path. From on there I'd really be asking myself how much more performance I want from my car. I don't know what dynos read over there, but here you're lucky to crack more than 350BHP at the fly with the twins. If you want a lot more ditch them and go for a single. It is as simple as that.

For the autobox I'd look into shimming the valve body slightly to decrease shift times (or even getting a complete uprated valve body from Australia), a 'Suprastick' transmission controller when you realize that the Gearbox ECU is COMPLETELY retarded and a separate transmission cooler .
Awesome! Thank you very much for that, I have a cone filter I made for it with a piece 3in pipe. For some reason also the car is running at 12psi not 10. Ill def look into getting a new 3in turbo back exhaust.

Thanks again!!!
Old 02-15-11, 06:48 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i would first go for a good boost controller. This serves 2 purposes:

1) it will keep boost under control (the 12psi spikes you're having). Spikes like that kill the tiny, ceramic turbines quickly.

2) it will allow you to crank up to boost in the future

Then i would put on the intake, exhaust, and FMIC. I would also recommend losing the stock blow off valve and relocating to the throttle body side of the intercooler piping. Im finding that even with aftermarket BOVs, the stock location is just not efficient at venting backpressure. Other good things to have are a boost cut controller and a speed cut controller (car stops moving at 118 mph). This should put you around the 300 range.

Next step would be fuel control. Supra TT fuel pump or a walbro 255 are both viable options, although the walbro is cheaper and noisy. Upgraded injectors and fuel control are next on the list, i would personally go for 550s. for fuel control Apex'i SAFC and GReddy emanage blue are favorites. an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is also suggested.

The stock twins won't get you to 350 all day long, maybe once or twice if you're lucky then they do their usual grenadier deal on the exhaust turbine. If you want a solid 350 HP go for a single setup (GT35, Holset HX35, etc.)

These are all my opinions, i have yet to reach the 350 mark myself. there are plenty of people out there with 350hp+ setups. Sit down and do some searching here, supraforums, supramania, and google to get some ideas on parts, prices, and power expectations. have fun and good luck
Old 02-16-11, 05:46 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StiCk3
i would first go for a good boost controller. This serves 2 purposes:

1) it will keep boost under control (the 12psi spikes you're having). Spikes like that kill the tiny, ceramic turbines quickly.

2) it will allow you to crank up to boost in the future

Then i would put on the intake, exhaust, and FMIC. I would also recommend losing the stock blow off valve and relocating to the throttle body side of the intercooler piping. Im finding that even with aftermarket BOVs, the stock location is just not efficient at venting backpressure. Other good things to have are a boost cut controller and a speed cut controller (car stops moving at 118 mph). This should put you around the 300 range.

Next step would be fuel control. Supra TT fuel pump or a walbro 255 are both viable options, although the walbro is cheaper and noisy. Upgraded injectors and fuel control are next on the list, i would personally go for 550s. for fuel control Apex'i SAFC and GReddy emanage blue are favorites. an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is also suggested.

The stock twins won't get you to 350 all day long, maybe once or twice if you're lucky then they do their usual grenadier deal on the exhaust turbine. If you want a solid 350 HP go for a single setup (GT35, Holset HX35, etc.)

These are all my opinions, i have yet to reach the 350 mark myself. there are plenty of people out there with 350hp+ setups. Sit down and do some searching here, supraforums, supramania, and google to get some ideas on parts, prices, and power expectations. have fun and good luck
You seem very knowledgeable, thank you. Ill grab an EBC asap.