Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in las vegas nv?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 04:25 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone recommend a good transmission shop in las vegas nv?

i want to do the manual swap for my sc400 but i dont want to mess up. does anyone know a good transmission shop or engine modifier in vegas or nearby that does good work? if not give me advise that will boost my confidence thanks(: ive seen all the threads on these swaps. and went thru all the directions but im still somewhat scared to mess up my car
Old 02-07-11, 06:49 PM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

No shop will TOUCH a project like this, I virtually guarantee it. The only shops that might would be full-on hot rod or tuner shops, and they will charge you an arm and a leg with no guarantees as to how well they'll do it. When I was 18 or so, I was looking to do a five-speed swap on my old Mustang and didn't feel confident enough to do it myself so I called a few shops. The one that said they might touch it said it would be upwards of two grand. Keep in mind this was a stock-to-stock swap, no aftermarket adapters or anything needed, in a car that was optionally available with a manual tranny. Putting a manual in an SC400, with aftermarket adapters and such, will scare any shop away.

Really, it's not hard at all. If you can pull an automatic transmission and install a clutch, you're there. A tranny swap is merely the first half of an auto tranny job and the second half of a clutch job, with a little underdash work tossed in for good luck (pedals). Keep on reading, and maybe keep on wrenching on your own and friends' rides to build confidence and skill, and soon enough you'll be able to tackle it yourself with no problem.

FWIW, I ended up doing the swap myself with the help of a car-experienced buddy, and it went flawlessly and worked like stock (with the improvement of some aftermarket parts that any stock car would have had to add anyway) until I got rear-ended years later and had to scrap the car.
Old 02-07-11, 07:16 PM
vegas_sc4
Driver

Yea a shop would charge a ton.

Ur better off collecting all the necessary parts and doing it urself.

Like u can do the pedals first since it won't affect anything. And when u Have everything u need for the rest of the swap have a few ppl from CL come help u.

Like a garage get together or somthin.