Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-11, 03:03 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you buy the whole assembly? They do sell just the pulley ya know...its $17.85 for the whole pulley.....

I had to replace my whole tentioner and it was $145 with tax. I just bought it like two days ago.
Old 02-08-11, 05:25 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pheezy
Great suggestion BattleVer! I ended up buying a Duralast pulley from autozone for $19. I used a 20mm socket and hammer to knock out the center bearing and then inserted this into my original pulley wheel after I tapped out the old and damaged bearing. I saved myself well over a hundred dollars compared to buying the whole assembly and my baby is back to idling like a champ
I feel stupid for wasting money on an OEM one now

For future reference, which pulley or bearing did you guys use?
Old 02-09-11, 06:44 AM
Pheezy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Carfreak70;6130181]Why would you buy the whole assembly? They do sell just the pulley ya know...its $17.85 for the whole pulley.....

You're right, but you have to do your research to know this. If you talk to the folks at the Toyota and Lexus parts counter they will tell you that you have to buy the whole assembly as they do not sell the pulley separately. Most of the oem manufacturers however do sell the either the whole assembly or just the pulley by itself.

On my car the tensioner was fine but the pulley wheel center bearing was clearly gone and was making an awful rattle sound when the car was idling. My intial thought was just to switch the pulley completely with an oem replacement. However, when I tried to bolt it on I notice the oem pulley did not fit with the original toyota brand tensioner I had on my car. The oem pulley I had was slightly wider in diameter and depth, and more importantly wouldnt spin after I bolted it on. Thats when I took BatteVer idea to switch out the center bearing of my old pulley wheel. It was a perfect fit. I used a $19 "Duralast" brand pulley from my local autozone.
Old 03-04-11, 08:48 AM
tftimm
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like this is what I need to replace. The noise is most noticeable at idle. You can't "feel" the noise anywhere, but it is this annoying sound like a shot pulley. It makes a noise inside the cabin like a grinding/whining sound. It sounds like it is coming from the engine, behind the stereo if that makes sense.

As you accelerate, the noise goes away for the most part, although it may be the exhaust note covering the sound.

Does this sound like the tensioner pulley?

Last edited by tftimm; 03-04-11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-23-11, 06:13 PM
Confusion
Rookie

I've read a couple threads on modifying the cover because aftermarket tensioners won't fit on right or would leave a gap. Is there anyone out there that found an aftermarket tensioner that'll fit like the oem one? If so please post part brand and number, or is oem the only one with its dimensions?
Old 04-23-11, 08:14 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I bought mine from O'Reilly's Auto and it fit fine. I had to take the splash shield/dust shield off the pulley but that was it.
Old 04-24-11, 12:50 AM
Confusion
Rookie

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I bought mine from O'Reilly's Auto and it fit fine. I had to take the splash shield/dust shield off the pulley but that was it.
Do u have to take it off? And leave it off in order to fit?
Old 04-24-11, 06:43 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, because the new one is a sealed bearing it shouldn't make a difference. Realistically I think the biggest thing it would protect against is water but it shouldn't touch up there.
Old 08-21-11, 10:52 AM
gina1500
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi I have a question for u

Originally Posted by BattleVer
You can buy just the bearring and replace that. Got mine for something like $15 at walnut auto in city of industry. Take off just the bolt, take the pulley off, couple hits with the hammer and it was out. Couple more hits and the new one was on. One bolt to put the pulley back on and put the belt back. Cheeper then buying the whole thing and easier to install.

When you installed the pulley did it turn freely, or does it turn at all
Old 01-13-16, 03:42 PM
Ucf10franc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BattleVer
You can buy just the bearring and replace that. Got mine for something like $15 at walnut auto in city of industry. Take off just the bolt, take the pulley off, couple hits with the hammer and it was out. Couple more hits and the new one was on. One bolt to put the pulley back on and put the belt back. Cheeper then buying the whole thing and easier to install.
Did you turn the bolt you use to take off the belt or which one did you turn to take off the bearing its self
Old 01-14-16, 09:41 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucf10franc
Did you turn the bolt you use to take off the belt or which one did you turn to take off the bearing its self
Remove that (14mm?) bolt completely and you'll see a bearing in the center of the pulley. You'll need to press that bearing out and find an identical bearing with the same specs.
Old 01-15-16, 01:45 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 117 Posts

Yes the same bolt you use to release the belt is the same nut you undo the pulley with.
(just making that clear).

They sell replacement pulleys on ebay for very cheap. I've seen bearings for 6 and the complete bearing-pulley combo for $12