Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc400 w/ manual tranny swap vs sc400 with 2jz motor swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 05:28 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread will tell you everything you need to know
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-of-pics.html

and here's mine for an extra
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=6012427

The W58 you will need is from either an SC300 or MKIV Supra NA. Having a shop do it would not be worth it for me personally, but I have never brought my SC to a shop. Besides, someone might look at it and say "YUK! Spark plug wires!" and treat it like crap at a shop. lol
Old 01-20-11, 05:54 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x
What year SC400? I have worked on a few non vvt-i models and trust me when I say they are a total POS. 2 Caps. 2 Rotors. Side facing throttle-body. Spark-plug Wires. YUK If I ever bought one of those cars I would swap out the engine in a heartbeat.
LOL i wouldn't say that, maybe you are not a 1uz person, maybe you just don't like the V8 look.
I don't like the V8 but i wouldn't call it POS because if you look at it it the smae layout with the 2jzge that's gotta be a POS too lol.
Just like some people don't like 2jzge but they don't call it a POS.
I am not trying to give you a hard time or anything
Old 01-20-11, 06:42 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Really? That is the most retarded thing I've ever heard (okay...one of the most retarded). The SC300 doesn't possess a side facing throttle body? Having spark plug wires makes it a POS?...etc......Ah I'm sure nobody trusts you anyways.
*Looks at sig* Laughs. Cap, rotor, spark plug wires is just a cheap-out instead of going COP.
Originally Posted by iridebmx
pure opinion. i love my 94 1uzfe and its 2 distributors, it always amuses people. although i love the way the intake is on the vvti motor because it reminds me of the lsx motors.
It's not just the top that's different. The runners are also a better style. The VVT-i models make a straight line down to the head. The non vvt-i models make an S shape down. Needless to say that's bad for flow.
Originally Posted by quickGS300
LOL i wouldn't say that, maybe you are not a 1uz person, maybe you just don't like the V8 look.
I don't like the V8 but i wouldn't call it POS because if you look at it it the smae layout with the 2jzge that's gotta be a POS too lol.
Just like some people don't like 2jzge but they don't call it a POS.
I am not trying to give you a hard time or anything
I don't like Toyota V8s because they don't have enough cubes but that is a different story. Even if I was going to buy a Toyota V8 I would get a 1UZ-FE VVT-i or later engine. The way the original 1UZ-FE was designed is just poor.

Last edited by account2x; 01-20-11 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-20-11, 08:04 AM
BartleDoo
Lexus Test Driver

*Looks at sig* Laughs. Cap, rotor, spark plug wires is just a cheap-out instead of going COP.

It's not just the top that's different. The runners are also a better style. The VVT-i models make a straight line down to the head. The non vvt-i models make an S shape down. Needless to say that's bad for flow.
I don't like Toyota V8s because they don't have enough cubes but that is a different story. Even if I was going to buy a Toyota V8 I would get a 1UZ-FE VVT-i or later engine. The way the original 1UZ-FE was designed is just poor.
Well, your uneducated opinion is useless here since the OP asked about a 1UZ manual or 2JZ swap (which has even fewer cubes and I see you hate that). So, you can go laugh and design an engine better than Toyota (and can also keep your opinions)...or you can continue to utilize your freedom to appear more intelligent.
Old 01-20-11, 10:08 AM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleDoo
Well, your uneducated opinion is useless here since the OP asked about a 1UZ manual or 2JZ swap (which has even fewer cubes and I see you hate that). So, you can go laugh and design an engine better than Toyota (and can also keep your opinions)...or you can continue to utilize your freedom to appear more intelligent.
Uneducated? Perhaps you are just misconstruing my statements. The 2JZ has less cubes but the turbos more than make up for it.
Old 01-20-11, 11:50 AM
Gimpster
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 1UZ seems on-par with pretty much every other V8 designed in the mid/late 1980's. In quite a few ways it actually has a leg up from many V8's in that era! Not saying I'm a great lover of the 1UZ, but I'm realistic to how old of a design it is.

Thats like saying a Ford Flathead is terrible because X .... yet you still see a lot of them out there

The way the original 1UZ-FE was designed is just poor.
Old 01-20-11, 01:19 PM
mbagang
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the links. so i hear a lot of mess about the first 1uz being a pos. .. lol.. well after i figure out what direction i wanna take with it. if i dont like the motor. ill definitely switch for i am trying to find the best possible outcome for my taste... i might just swap anyway for the fact its a 92. look for something with less mileage and wear. but again i started this thread. to see which direction to take with my car. suggestions on swaps. . .or if i should just swap the tranny. etc.
Old 10-18-12, 10:45 AM
SCary400
Driver

Originally Posted by jeffreyjje
removed by moderator
Cool your jets there kiddo. You've been here for all of a week and know exactly nothing about people, the community, their cars, or their intent.

I love my Lexus, I love my V8, but it is different strokes for different folks. It's not your money they spend on their car, so don't concern yourself with what they do to it. Some people are content with a new car and what it has from the factory. Some people like to modify. You're getting your little panties in a bunch over things that don't concern you. The oldest versions of our cars are 20 years old now. Their price has dropped, the exclusivity is long since gone (if it was ever present in the first place). It's not some high and mighty car that only the chosen can obtain. No one thinks you are special because you have an SC, doors will not open, velvet ropes will not part, red carpets will not be rolled out for you.

If they want to slap a Scion badge on it, paint it flourescent orange, sticker bomb the windshield, cut the springs, curb their $4k wheels, and cover the interior in imitation ostrich, they will and there is nothing you can do about it.

So sit back, relax, get over it, and most importantly keep your mouth shut about things you don't understand.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-18-12 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 12:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

jeffreyjje; no ones going to take your comments seriously if you call the 2jz a v6 or and honda engines a v4 while insulting club lexus members. Read the forum rules before posting.

Im putting in my vote for the a manual trans swapped 1uz, and maybe a remote single turbo setup (just for extra fun).

Last edited by Ali SC3; 10-18-12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 12:39 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy thread bump.
Old 10-18-12, 01:29 PM
Axmily
Lead Lap

nothing better than a sound of a 1uzfe with headers and full exhaust with a blower can't wait to here mine
Old 10-18-12, 04:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just put in the W58, if keeping the V8 stock or just a few add ons. If you decide to turbo it, and if you stay on these forums ling enough you will, I would just the R154. That way you will have plenty of tranny to hold just about anything you throw at it.
Old 10-18-12, 04:09 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh yeah...... I almost forgot...

For those who have nothing better to say but this and that.... look somewhere else...

Keep the positive attitudes on here, and leave the hating somewhere else. I want to keep this thread clean and post what the OP is asking.... or I will be forced to close it.... No need for the language either here folks....
Old 10-18-12, 07:25 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Sweet thread bump. This is the first time I've ever heard of the 1uzfe being a p.o.s. lol.
Old 10-18-12, 08:26 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by V8drummer
Sweet thread bump. This is the first time I've ever heard of the 1uzfe being a p.o.s. lol.
I know what your saying. Believe it or not, when the 1uz came out it was actually said to be better engineered than the equivalent Porsche V8 of the time. Just let that soak in, better engineered than a Porsche. I think that alone debunks the P.O.S. comment. it may not be the prettiest, but then again, it is from the 90's.