Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

need exhaust info

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-02, 09:20 AM
g_lex_6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need exhaust info

can any memebers of CL members give me info on what types and brands of exhaust they are using and what types of performance they gained? thanks
Old 08-13-02, 04:00 PM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I didn't take the photos very straight this time so it looks a bit wonky.
You can read all about, hear and see the performance gains here:

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/
Attached Thumbnails need exhaust info-carbottomsm.jpg  

Last edited by UZZ32; 08-13-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-24-02, 09:21 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

hey peter, don't forget, we want more exhaust sounds!
Old 09-09-02, 07:59 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Pete your site is great and I recommend it all the time. I cannot find pictures of your system, the ones above are the first I have seen of your complete dual system. I did see just one of your buddies car that first did the extractors (headers in US speak ) and the magnaflows.

Do you have any details posted that I am just having trouble finding? Several people have just modified stock systems and lost low end torque. How about yours?

Thanks for all the effort.
Old 09-25-02, 10:59 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

I have finally go a page summarising my current exhaust with headers etc - lots of pics and part numbers.

V8 Exhaust

More sounds too:
Soarer Exhaust Sounds

Every exhaust mod I have seen on the dyno and on the road with a stopwatch has increased the torque.
Torque can only be reduced if the mixtures go lean with the extra air going through the engine perhaps.

What is more likely happening is that people are feeling a torque loss through the pants dyno rather than on a more accurate chassis dyno.

More intake noise or more exhaust noise gives an instant feedback to throttle position - you now hear the engine and everything it is doing, you hear it labour, you hear it change tone with load - you hear everything. Whereas with a stock car everything is so quiet you don't hear anything.
Often the result is that you press the gas pedal harder, further and more often in the stock car - you don't hear the engine load up - you just go.
In the modded car you hear the engine load up for the first time - press harder and it is louder again. Before the car was silent and smooth, now it is louder and you hearing work being done - the interpretation is that the car has lost torque.
The solution is to press the gas pedal harder - it may be that people compare half throttle position with loud exhaust with 3/4 throttle position with stock exhaust because it sounds about the same. Maybe not though.

But in theory on a modern fuel injection car, reducing back pressure makes more torque, not less torque.

I went for the Dynamax Ultraflows rather than the Magnaflow mufflers - I do have a Magnaflow x-pipe.