Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 07:36 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say if you already have a 2jzge go na-t. Have a shell? Go with a 1j/2j gte swap. Some will argue it is too much money to do a na-t. I don't agree. If you do the work, you can do a na-t setup for less than some think. For example I went na-t: Aristo ecu, He351 turbo, CL used manifold & gate, TT supra smic & piping, dsm 450cc injectors, 6 puc disc stock PP, add in another 500$ in misc parts and I have 1300$ in parts with a reliable toyota tuned ecu.

For me I fould it easy to buy parts bit by bit and go na-t for 350 or less hp/tq. If you have the money to purchare a gte swap I would say go that route, less time, less headache. Then again if you are thrifty and good with a wrench you can do a na-t setup with a small budget.

na-t= easy to pass emissions spec. Cheaper, no FFIM, You can always find a 2jzge in a junk yard to replace the one you melted with that safc.
1/2jzgte= great power stock, not easy to pass emissions spec. Costs more, Wiring required.
Transmission options are another whole topic with those above.
Old 01-26-11, 08:01 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frankdms
I would say if you already have a 2jzge go na-t. Have a shell? Go with a 1j/2j gte swap. Some will argue it is too much money to do a na-t. I don't agree. If you do the work, you can do a na-t setup for less than some think. For example I went na-t: Aristo ecu, He351 turbo, CL used manifold & gate, TT supra smic & piping, dsm 450cc injectors, 6 puc disc stock PP, add in another 500$ in misc parts and I have 1300$ in parts with a reliable toyota tuned ecu.

For me I fould it easy to buy parts bit by bit and go na-t for 350 or less hp/tq. If you have the money to purchare a gte swap I would say go that route, less time, less headache. Then again if you are thrifty and good with a wrench you can do a na-t setup with a small budget.

na-t= easy to pass emissions spec. Cheaper, no FFIM, You can always find a 2jzge in a junk yard to replace the one you melted with that safc.
1/2jzgte= great power stock, not easy to pass emissions spec. Costs more, Wiring required.
Transmission options are another whole topic with those above.
DSM 450cc injectors...from what car and are they drop in like the rx7 550's ?
Old 01-26-11, 08:11 PM
scmissle
Rookie

I would like to see a fully built 1.5JZ. The shop I am going to have build my engine, built a 1.5JZ and dropped it into a cressida. The torque seemed better than the 2JZGTE Supra in his shop, and he said yes it actually makes more torque. I don't know all details, but it was a stock turbo 1JZGTE with a 2JZ bottom end. Now since that has been done, where is a 3.4L 1.5JZ? a 3.4 Stroker bottom end with a 1JZGTE head and a nasty turbo, that might make power and it would be totally different.
Old 01-26-11, 08:54 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ but theres no point really..if u spend all that money to build the bottom end..why would u use a less flowing 1jz head when you could easily use a better 2jz head?
Old 01-27-11, 06:37 AM
Klaus
Instructor

What about the fuel rail kit you would've had to buy to fit those 450cc TOP FEED injectors? Uh oh....
Old 01-27-11, 06:47 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ You don't need Fuel rail for 400rwhp na-T, at 500rwhp is was using the stock fuel rail lol.
All you need is the top feed injectors and they drop right in the rail my friend.
The gte stock fuel rail and regulator is not better than the ge .
It's the same way when someone buys a jdm gte and wants to to use the USDM 550cc injectors they drop right in the stock fuel rail, but you will need a resistor pack.
I used Honda resistor pack on my car worked great like TT resistor pack didnt spend $200for a TT one.
Old 01-27-11, 07:24 AM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by quickGS300
^ You don't need Fuel rail for 400rwhp na-T, at 500rwhp is was using the stock fuel rail lol.
All you need is the top feed injectors and they drop right in the rail my friend.
The gte stock fuel rail and regulator is not better than the ge .
It's the same way when someone buys a jdm gte and wants to to use the USDM 550cc injectors they drop right in the stock fuel rail, but you will need a resistor pack.
I used Honda resistor pack on my car worked great like TT resistor pack didnt spend $200for a TT one.
Except that the stock rail is side feed...
Old 01-27-11, 07:27 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Ge fuel rails are top feed....
Old 01-27-11, 08:23 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by Klaus
Except that the stock rail is side feed...
On the gte yes it side feed, that's why you can't use gte usdm 550 on na-t setups. All the gte guys have to change their fuel rails because you can hardly find some bigger size injectors that are side feed, and if you do you will pay an arm and a leg for them.

Majority of the injector on the market are top feed low imp, you can find some 750cc that are high imp but a little expensive.
But now you have the ID but they are still top feed PNP in the Ge fuel rail but for gte you need a aftermarket fuel rail.
Old 01-27-11, 08:49 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i dropped my rx7 550's right in to the ge fuel reail, top feed, no resistor pack required. good to hear people are finding other options.
lets stop all these myths about the GE, it is very easy to get turbocharged if you can handle some basic to intermediate DIY, when I did mine I had never worked on a turbo car before, but all the info is out there these days thanks to a few members and with enough research and go step by step its not that difficult.

I am glad to hear more NA-t people using the Aristo Ecu. how do you like it so far?
I can wire up an aristo ecu to a GE harness in a few hours for NA-T.
Its so simple its actually 10x easier than using the same Aristo ecu to run an Aristo Gte in our cars (SC not a supra where you can just buy the gte harness which costs $$ also).
The only drawback is if you are automatic you may need to swap a TT auto in, but realistically you should do that anyways, its just a matter of time before the ge auto will go out.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-27-11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 12:20 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

^Well said.

Dsm injectors are old and easy to find, I used a acura 6cyl resistor pack. I had to change the connectors and wire in the resistor pack in the power side. Fairly easy. The aristo ecu uses 440cc's so the dsm 450cc's were close enough to run just fine. Wiring the aristo was a bit annoying (made a jumper) but for those who just want a plug in go to pheonix tuning for a PNP around 300$. Great setup for up to 350hp reliable without the need of a afc.
Old 01-27-11, 08:50 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by quickGS300
On the gte yes it side feed, that's why you can't use gte usdm 550 on na-t setups. All the gte guys have to change their fuel rails because you can hardly find some bigger size injectors that are side feed, and if you do you will pay an arm and a leg for them.

Majority of the injector on the market are top feed low imp, you can find some 750cc that are high imp but a little expensive.
But now you have the ID but they are still top feed PNP in the Ge fuel rail but for gte you need a aftermarket fuel rail.
Learned something today man . And for a GTE you can find bigger side feed injectors by SARD but they're around $600-$700 for the set. I'll concede that as an advantage of an NA-T that you can go with DSM injectors (which can be had quite large for quite cheap)
Old 01-28-11, 04:53 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Yes like you said they are too expensive, and you still on stock fuel rail even with the sard injectors.
So top feed are cheaper and even cheaper if they are low Imp, all you do is wire the resistor pack which is simple.
Old 01-28-11, 08:35 AM
LexuswanaB
Driver School Candidate

wow, lots of great information, took me a fe days to read through the whole thing but i am learning quite a bit very fast
Old 02-24-11, 10:01 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Bump TT i see alot new threads about 1jzgte or 2jzgte read this thread from page 1 that will help you make up your mind.
Please don't start a new thread.

Quick Reply: The Great 1JZ vs 2JZGTE vs NA-T Debate Thread