Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Stalls when Cold Horn Kills Engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-11, 05:11 AM
vbertone11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC400 Stalls when Cold Horn Kills Engine

1994 SC400 I changed everything. Engine would run and then
Trac light and Engine Light would come on I would rev and it will go off.
Also at idle the heater fan slows considerable and I just noticed that when you press the horn it kills the engine RMS - lights OK eveything else concerning power appears fine but the RPM dies then when you stop the horn it resumes.

This car has been a problem child for months. First the fuel pump ECU so _ bypassed it. Them the Computer, TPS etc. Cleaned the injector body. Now when you run it until it warms good the Trac and Engine light come up - engine still runs but idle becomes irradic and almost dies but you can idle it high and avoid the stalls.

Also at times it will not start and I have to wait about 15 minuted before it does. Last time this happened I kept the gas pressed and after about 1 minute was able to start it.

I am wondering if a bad alternator could be causing it or some other electrical short. Any thought will be greatly apprecaited. Items changed so far:
1) Fuel pump ECU bypass
2) TPS
3) MAF
4) Crank Sensor
5) Car has had a complete tune up and purrsss rungs really well after you run for a while.
6) Changed Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter

Please - I love the car but tring to get to the bottom of this is killing me. I just noticed yesterday that the horn kills the idle. I think this points to an electrical short or weak alternator output. I am wondering if it is the alternator because I believe the output wil vary as it heats up. Please let me know your thought. Thank you.
Old 01-12-11, 11:34 PM
SW2UZ
Pole Position

I'm not an electrical guy but I would start from checking the battery terminals & vehicle grounds 1st, your MAF may be going bad (is bad eventhough you replaced it used?) same issue I was having sputtered and died but would run well when cold, try dissconnecting the MAF sensor and see if that changes anything.
the not being able to start it reminds me of my 72 celica and it flooding this is a FI vehicle so there may be an issue with your ECU keeping the injectors open when the key is in the on(before start) position due to leaking capacitors.
Is there Psteering fluid leaking on to your alternator?
Old 01-14-11, 06:58 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i would start looking into the battery first. I had a problem where i couldn't start my car and when i did it would quit running when i turn the headlights on. Turned out the battery blew a cell and was only putting out 9v even after running for 15 minutes. Check there first. If the battery is ok check to see if the battery is getting sufficient charge. Any stored codes for the CEL/Trac lights?