Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Picked up my first SC, but it has a few issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-11, 12:37 AM
TriniTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up my first SC, but it has a few issues.

So I just purchased a 92 SC300 auto for $2600 with 133k on the odometer. Cloth interior (surprise to me, never come across one, but they're clean so it doesn't bother me)

Has an idle problem, when stopped it will just die, check engine light comes on and then I can start it right back up. Haven't scanned it yet, but the seller told me he moved the TPS when he was changing the sparkplugs But he only changed 3 of them...Hoping to take a look at it all tomorrow.

Seems to be leaking oil from distributor O-ring, power steering leak (hopefully just a line). Condensation in headlights, Somehow leaking water into the driver's side door panel (been raining a lot here in SoCal), A/C instrument panel display lights up on the left side, but inoperable otherwise. Temp, RPM and Speedo needles don't light up.

Taking it to the shop tomorrow to check this stuff out, is there anything else specific I should look for? Planning to build a 2JZGTE down the line and would like to shoot for 600+hp. But until then, I'd like to ride the stock engine out as long as possible.
Meanwhile, I'm looking into brake and suspension upgrades to be able to handle the power I plan to make later on, BBK, TEIN Flex, control arms etc...
Picking up a set of factory GS350 wheels from a friend for the time being, stock wheels got to go!
Any guidance and suggestions with regards to what I should keep an eye out for when I get to the shop is greatly appreciated. Timing belt and water pump were supposedly replaced at 88k.

Last edited by TriniTech; 01-07-11 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 08:48 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

pull the code and see what it is, it could be your MAF giving you a bad idle, or an 02 sensor... it could be a number of things but knowing what code its throwing wil narrow it down.

also the fact that he only changed 3 plugs probably has something to do with it too.

there should be plenty of writeups for the distributor o-ring, its easy to fix.

theres also plenty of headlight threads to look through

send your guage cluster to lextech.org and they will fix it up for ya. you can contact them at sales@lextech.org

car looks good though, nice and clean!
Old 01-06-11, 09:12 AM
HottoMotto
Driver School Candidate

pulling codes is definitely going to help.
it is very clean though.
Old 01-06-11, 02:29 PM
TriniTech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys, heading to the shop now. Will update by this evening.
Old 01-07-11, 03:27 PM
TriniTech
Driver School Candidate

So, went to the shop yesterday. Pulled a code 31. MAF. Also, readjusted the TPS to spec, and changed the rest of the sparkplugs/wires that the guy gave me. The car only stalled once since doing this, sputtered a couple times and hesitated, but it kept running. In the process, found this:

Covered in oil and what seemed to be fuel...
Also noticed that the throttle body was full of carbon and quite disgusting, picked up some throttle body cleaner, fuel system cleaner, and new fuel filter today. Thinking about re-doing the entire tune up when I do the oil change, brake inspection, change dist-o-ring, etc. Considering doing a compression test too.

What plugs/wires are people using? I'm real partial to factory stuff, but if anyone can recommend better, I'm open to suggestions. Also planning on doing a brake system flush, I'd like to go ahead and do some kind of BBK (rather do it all right the first time) but we'll see what I can afford.
Old 01-07-11, 03:58 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

if you have a leaking valve cover gasket, oil tends to leak in the plug valley, so when you pull the plug out it coats the plug in oil. Just make sure your not seeing any blue smoke from the tail pipes

I would either buy a set of stock denso plugs or a set of NGK 7090's (BKR5EGP)

the best solution for wires is the toyota OEM set you can get from any toyota dealer as they are the same plug wires from 93-97 NON turbo supra, they should be $55-65 for the set

you MIGHT be able to clean the MAF to see if that helps any..... but before you do make sure you search and see how others have cleaned thiers. I know some people have ruined a MAF trying to clean it, and they arent cheap.