Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Quick NA-T Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-11, 06:57 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Quick NA-T Question

hope u boosted guys can help out on this one. Real simple set-up no big fuel no big induction no crazy timing to go NA-t on my stock 92 300 other than the maintenance things needed to go boost(head stud, gaskets, and seals blah blah), if I were to go with either a 57 or small 60's size turbo with a 38-40mm wg, bov and nice size intercooler and full exhaust. What are the bare minimum electronics I need to have run safely on stock fuel system with TT headgasket??? wideband with gauge and s-afc ??????
Old 01-05-11, 07:46 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build it right the first time. I'm in the process of gathering/researching my na-t setup and I seem to keep finding using quality parts with a quality tune will get u optimal results. That being said you don't have to go broke I just picked up head studs for half off it is all about taking ur time and looking for deals.

What kind of hp goals are you looking for? Have you done any searching on clubna-t.com?
Old 01-05-11, 07:58 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nova
Build it right the first time. I'm in the process of gathering/researching my na-t setup and I seem to keep finding using quality parts with a quality tune will get u optimal results. That being said you don't have to go broke I just picked up head studs for half off it is all about taking ur time and looking for deals.

What kind of hp goals are you looking for? Have you done any searching on clubna-t.com?

bud trust me I know exactly the route I am going, but the funny thing is I have no clue how to do it low budget and that kinda what I need right now. Plus like I said no big fuel no big boost and no real timing work needed just low budget low key set up and reliable just to get going. Eventually I will be running a ported head with cop conversion a T67, 1000cc injectors, ffim, twin pumps, 264 cams and standalone . Buuuuut not quite yet so low key low budget it is for now. Plus I rather work my way up learning how to own a built turbo car than just building it all crazy and hop right into it...... I am thinking to run on stock fuel I should get a wide band 02 with gauge, boost gauge, apexi s-afc manbey a hks DLI ? Do I need something more to run stock on boost?

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 01-05-11 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-05-11, 07:59 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

you could try map ecu 2 like i am. been running it for almost a year now and i can't complain.
Old 01-05-11, 09:22 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not doubting u !! Haha I think the gauges are a good investment. Helps u keep an eye on things
Old 01-05-11, 10:48 PM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thought popped into my head today as well. Are there many guys running the safc2 here? I personally have never used the safc myself but I know power can be made with it, I just don't know how safely. The problem with having all the electronics separate is there is no way to "tie" them together to plot it on a graph to analyze the results for the wideband / timing / knock etc etc.

I used to use dsmlink and I'm beginning to miss it because of it's simplicity and tremendous support on the forums. It's too bad the 2jz doesn't have a similar product.

EDIT: club na-t is your friend with tuning stuff. Seems like the whole tuning issue is a big topic

Last edited by HiPSI; 01-05-11 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-06-11, 12:17 AM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For info: I made 437 WHP on S-AFC and other piggy backs. I could have gone more if I had a better clutch. But my setup never ran like stock. Some months it seemed to run like crap and some months fine. Fluctuating AFRs and other weirdness. OP have said they had great results and theirs ran perfect. But lets face it you kind of get what you pay for.

There has been a lot of guys on here wanting to do low budget turbo setups lately. If you want to go at it so you can sort of evolve your setup for more boost as your finances allow then start basic & keep improving parts. However it will eventually cost you more. Especially if you start with a small turbo then want to get a bigger one later down the line. This guy seemed to do well with a used Dave H.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-doubt-it.html

There are others on here that went with low boost setups like, Small turbo, wastegate spring only, stock HG, AFC or map ecu 2, AEM wide band (because every boosted car needs one), and a small Front or side mount. I know all the info is here, somewhere. SF is a good place to scrounge for used parts to minimize costs. Their forums are full of retarded kids who make stupid comments but you'll find what you need. What ever you do match your parts correctly. Dont get a small turbo and a big FMIC because it looks cool. There's a reason they put side mounts on smaller turbo'd cars. Mate your parts correctly. Good Luck dude.

Last edited by lfrers; 01-06-11 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-06-11, 05:52 AM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running a Safc on a Na-t setup isnt gonna run 100%, like ^^^ says, some days it will run good and others it will run like crap, trust me i kno, im good friends another board member on here that is Na-t, hes also local to me and was runing a na-t setup...TT hg,Arp Head studs,540cc injectors,71mm, custom ffim, & last but not least a apexi Safc2....he finally got tired of his car not being reliable so he went with a haltech...

hit him up his SN is ahhyes300....
heres his thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-progress.html
Old 01-06-11, 06:06 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94_soarer
Running a Safc on a Na-t setup isnt gonna run 100%, like ^^^ says, some days it will run good and others it will run like crap, trust me i kno, im good friends another board member on here that is Na-t, hes also local to me and was runing a na-t setup...TT hg,Arp Head studs,540cc injectors,71mm, custom ffim, & last but not least a apexi Safc2....he finally got tired of his car not being reliable so he went with a haltech...

hit him up his SN is ahhyes300....
heres his thread...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-progress.html
Thanks for the info Nate but like on his set up it looks like hes got upgraded injectors hes got a ffim and a pretty big turbo non of which I am going to do right now I only thing I plan on doing atm is just ARPs with TT hg, with a 57mm or 60mm turbo and small intercooler and 3" exhaust thats it. I hope to have a good running set up with minimum electronics. This is what I would like to call a true starter kit, obviously I will only be able to run small abouts of boost and most likely have fuel cut but thats ok. I dont daily my car and once I am ready to turn up the boost it will be with a full blow standalone or just Megasquirt with Mr. Jordantune and the upgraded fuel and timing goodies
Old 01-06-11, 06:33 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nate You are correct majority of the na-T owners went thru that lol, my boy Alisc3 went thru that crap but then switched to AEM and never looked back.

The only maybe cheapest way to do a reliable na-T is if you use an Aristo ECU on your na-T setup. That's another cheap way to do it but if you don't If you can't do the wiring yourself then it will cost you money.For up to 450rwhp i think the stock gte ecu will work great.
At 500rwhp you are not on low boost anymore that's when i will get a standalone.

I like the gte ecu idea and it will work great if you drop your c.r to 8.5.1 unless you run low boost with the TT headgasket.
Old 01-06-11, 06:51 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Nate You are correct majority of the na-T owners went thru that lol, my boy Alisc3 went thru that crap but then switched to AEM and never looked back.

The only maybe cheapest way to do a reliable na-T is if you use an Aristo ECU on your na-T setup. That's another cheap way to do it but if you don't If you can't do the wiring yourself then it will cost you money.For up to 450rwhp i think the stock gte ecu will work great.
At 500rwhp you are not on low boost anymore that's when i will get a standalone.

I like the gte ecu idea and it will work great if you drop your c.r to 8.5.1 unless you run low boost with the TT headgasket.
I know there are threads on running a gte ecu but will the gte ecu also run my ge trans or do I bsically have to piggyback the gte ecu to ge ecu ? weird question lol
Old 01-06-11, 06:58 AM
06bluerex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

na-t here with stock compression and fuel with exception of walbro fuel pump.
mine runs and idles fine with safc and of course i have a wideband. no stalling or hiccups with the safc.
Old 01-06-11, 07:01 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06bluerex
na-t here with stock compression and fuel with exception of walbro fuel pump.
mine runs and idles fine with safc and of course i have a wideband. no stalling or hiccups with the safc.
exactly what I am looking for can u give some more info in ur setup ?
Old 01-06-11, 07:17 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
I know there are threads on running a gte ecu but will the gte ecu also run my ge trans or do I bsically have to piggyback the gte ecu to ge ecu ? weird question lol
No my friend it's 5 speed time hahaha.

No it won't control the Trans unless you have a 5 speed or you go with GTE ECU at that point it's not cheap anymore lol.
Old 01-06-11, 07:19 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by quickGS300
No my friend it's 5 speed time hahaha.

No it won't control the Trans unless you have a 5 speed or you go with GTE ECU at that point it's not cheap anymore lol.
forget that then lol i dont want to do 5-speed swap just gonna keep it auto and do a Titan built stage 2 when i start to make good power.

Quick Reply: Quick NA-T Question