Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

drain battery .02 cents please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 03:36 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a parasitic draw on the system use a multimeter to hunt the damn thing down. Also use it to test the battery and the alternator and you will find your problem.
Old 01-04-11, 03:55 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazeMatik
if you want to know if your alternator is bad or not get the car started (jumped if needed) then remove the positive and neg terminals, and if the car runs then the alternator is good
That's a good way to damage your alterntor or even worse one of the very expensive electrical components on our cars

To the OP do u have access to a multimeter
Old 01-04-11, 04:13 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnlexus

the car is dying over time while sitting in the garage, not running. has nothing to do with alternator.
Yeah, my bad.
I misread your OP and assumed it discharged only when you were driving it at night. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-05-11, 08:06 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

i havent read this thread other then the first post so sorry if its alrdy been said but your battery has a bad cell, i just experienced the exact same thing last week. i was lucky mine was still in warranty. it wouldnt be your alternator unless your battery light is flashing
Old 01-05-11, 09:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

now re-read the op again.
Old 03-21-11, 02:01 PM
1jzchris
Pole Position

did you find what the problem was. im having the same problem on my 92 sc400. New alternator and different battery. Battery drains if park overnight will start but is very very weak and sometimes i have to let the key go and try again and it will sound strong like it got a charge.
Old 04-23-11, 01:19 AM
TPIOlds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1jzchris
did you find what the problem was. im having the same problem on my 92 sc400. New alternator and different battery. Battery drains if park overnight will start but is very very weak and sometimes i have to let the key go and try again and it will sound strong like it got a charge.
I am having this problem also???????????????????
Old 04-23-11, 06:34 AM
KarateDoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay here is what you do in order to diagnose the problem. Go to radio shack and buy a 1 ohm 10 watt resistor about a few bucks. Remove the negative cable from your battery and connect one end of the 1 ohm 10 watt resistor to the negative terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative battery cable. Then connect your voltmeter across the resistor. Then read the voltage. You should have a very small reading maybe 10-35 millivolts 0.010-0.035 volts. Anything more than that you will have a parasitic draw. Be sure to hae your door closed and the dome light off when checking.

Most of the time this will read about .5 - .7 volts or more if you have a problem. Then go to your fuse panel and remove one fuse at a time until you find the culprit. Then the next step is to get a wiring diagram and trace that circuit.

It takes a while but can be done. Just takes patience.

I hope this helps.
Old 04-23-11, 07:26 AM
SexyLexy
Rookie

I have had every imaginable problem with my car, here's my advice:
Get the alternator tested, it's FREE!
Make sure your trunk light is not staying on while the trunk is closed, I know it sounds stupid but my trunk light stays on so I have to keep it unPlugged
Old 04-23-11, 07:38 AM
1jzchris
Pole Position

Mine turn out to be a bad battery,which was purchased like 1 month before. it was showing 10.8volts i swapped it with my friends battery from his Accord which was showing 12.4volts. since then i have had no problem or or my friends Accord.
Old 04-26-11, 06:59 PM
TPIOlds
Driver School Candidate

I think I found my problem, it was a bad body ground.
Try removing the ground cleaning the contact area then reattach the ground.
Old 07-27-11, 09:07 AM
Lexus_SC4
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering where the 'body ground' is on these cars.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-11, 09:59 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I had the same problem too.. but after i swapped no more problems. Could be alternator or something electrical
Old 07-27-11, 10:26 AM
bleedspeed
Lead Lap

possible relay or actuator staying open? i would say have you installed any at all aftermarket electronic components? such as stereo,alarm. look there first if so. if not then follow the fuse check instructions by olt he knows what he be talkin bout! and make sure all engine grounds are clean and tight. alternator and battery test at a parts house. might be a good time to go ahead and upgrade your battery cables too. with new gold contacts. one of the first things i do to a new car is address all battery wiring. because old wiring is begging for battery/alternator failure. it is one of the most common no start problems ever. i like to upgrade hot and ground cables to 4 awg or bigger oxygen free car audio wire.
Old 07-27-11, 12:10 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Recently I've been having battery/alternator problems myself. Xcept my problem was the car would sometimes die when I came to a stop at a red light. I replaced the alternator, and did the 'big 3 ground' at my shop.
Here's where I'm worries though, although I have a carPC, my car draws 0.08 amps when the car and carPC are completely turned off. My audio guys say this is really high and will kill my battery if I leave my car parked for a few days..
Since I replaced the alternator the car has been running fine, but I'm worried the problems will return because the 'D' in my dash dims when I come to a stop.
Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: drain battery .02 cents please