Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE Swap vs NA/T Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 12:22 PM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE Swap vs NA/T Build

So after 3 SC's I'm officially going to scratch the turbo itch on my 95 SC300. I'm looking for some advice from many of you that have gone this route...

Should I grab a JDM 2JZGTE out of a Jap Soarer for $1,850 or should I start hunting for parts and build my stock 2JZGE out with twins? It seems (from an outside view that just plunking down the money for the straight swap would be in my best interest, but I'm not sure. I believe the JDM 2JZGTE bolts right on to the auto tranny.

I'm currently running an auto trans and will NOT be replacing it. (My wife drives it all the time and can't shift)

I want to keep this as a daily driver. My stock engine has 160k. My power goals are achieve 350-400 hp. I've been told and researched that the auto should be able to handle 400-425 hp running a moderate boost.

I would further be interested in anyone on this forum who would be interested in doing the swap local here in Atlanta.

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts.
Old 01-03-11, 12:41 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, you should grab a 2JZGTE instead of NA-T

A stock 2JZGTE does not have 350hp to the wheels. What mods are you going to install to achieve your goals?

No, your auto W58 will not handle 400+ hp for very long even with a light foot. Plus I would not want my wife driving a car with the possibility of being stranded. Do her and yourself a favor, buy a R154 and teach her to drive stick. You'll end up buying one in a few months anyways and you might as well install everything at one time.
Old 01-03-11, 12:54 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BPU 1jzgte or 2jzgte swap with turbo auto behind it will get you at or close to your 350WHP goal. NA-T with a built trans will work too.

This choice has been discussed before. Its pretty much a tossup cost-wise, so pick the one you are most comfortable with.
Old 01-03-11, 12:56 PM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

Yea, I'm fairly sold on the swap at this point.

Stock JDM will put down north of 300hp out of the crate. I have researched and talked to several people on that front (unless I'm grossly misinformed). My goals are anything north of 350hp would be stellar. I'm happy with the most sane/safest bet to maintain the integrity of the auto trans.

R154 is not in the cards. She drives the SC a LOT and loves it. Teaching her manual is out of the question.

When it comes to turbos I'm all thumbs. Once I buy the JDM 2JZ, what else should I pick up to reach 350-400hp?
Old 01-03-11, 01:00 PM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

StockHatch, agreed on the 1JZ vs 2JZ...problem is locating a JDM 1JZ right now is downright difficult. In the interest of time I'm going to go with the 2JZ.

Does anyone know anyone in Atlanta who can do this swap that wants to make a few bucks???
Old 01-03-11, 01:18 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pnewman30
StockHatch, agreed on the 1JZ vs 2JZ...problem is locating a JDM 1JZ right now is downright difficult. In the interest of time I'm going to go with the 2JZ.

Does anyone know anyone in Atlanta who can do this swap that wants to make a few bucks???
If you're not planning to go single, you might consider the usdm twins before you drop the motor in. Should put you closer to your power goals and last longer than the ceramic blades. Ive seen shops here in DFW charge anywhere from 6-8k for the swap depending on how much(part-wise) they have to source. For more power start with bpu mods, exhaust, boost controller, etc. If you're planning to use a jdm ecu you'll likely want a speed cut defender thing as well.
Old 01-03-11, 01:27 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you aren't ever looking to go over 400whp then the COMPLETE swap is probably the best choice...
it will however cost more then i think you have considered since you will be getting the aristo swap which isn't a straight easy drop in swap..you will roughly spend 5k(or more doubt youll find it cheaper though) getting the motor and installed..then need a few more dollars to get it to your performance goals..

idk about the issue with the 1jz's as far as finding them im sure theres plenty of sites that have them..ive seen quite a few in the recent month or so..
they are an easier drop in swap into an sc300 and still can make the power you want
probably save you about 2000 on the setup

or you could do na-t for probably the best price/performance if you think you'd be happy with ~330whp
that would be stock hg/injectors/fuel pump ..but that would be pretty much the max able for that setup without upgrading parts and possibly tranny to take any more of a beating..

this will also probably deliver the best feel since you have the higher compression, which is great for a street driven boosted car..great response and torque out of boost.
Old 01-03-11, 01:37 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For 350 hp i would do 2jzgte, and make sure you get the full swap.

The soarer in japan never came with 2jzgte, they all came with 1jz.

Just search they are atleast 15-20 threads on here that has all the info that you will need to make up your mind and do this swap.
GL
Old 01-03-11, 02:08 PM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

Noob turbo question, but I don't want to spend anything more than $3k. Can I even do this project for that price? NA/T or 2JZ or 1JZ swap? It really doesn't matter to me how I get to 350-400hp...I don't have a preference on the set up.
Old 01-03-11, 02:59 PM
Matador
Racer

Originally Posted by pnewman30
Noob turbo question, but I don't want to spend anything more than $3k. Can I even do this project for that price? NA/T or 2JZ or 1JZ swap? It really doesn't matter to me how I get to 350-400hp...I don't have a preference on the set up.
You'll spend close to 3k in parts alone. Before you start buying engines and such, figure out who/what shop will be doing this. Get labor quotes if applicable. I think the cheapest route would be to refresh your motor and go NA-T. A mild build will still net you 300ish whp and give you all the fun turbo sounds.
Old 01-03-11, 03:57 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

NA-T FTW!! only spent about $2500 max including everything, nuts, bolts, fluids, ect. and got myself a 400+whp car. as for the stock w58, it's been holding for almost a year (Feb. 11') of me abusing the crap out of my transmission and don't see, hear or feel any sign of wear on it.
Old 01-03-11, 04:22 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good reading at SF about this. People will tell you to go with the swap and people will say NA-T.. a lot is up to you.
Old 01-03-11, 04:59 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

na-t is the only way possible for 3k..get the xspower get..its the fullest kit u can buy for under 1800..then get and safc or something similar and have everything installed..will put u right at 330ish with stock comp/fuel/tranny and be good to go at 9psi
Old 01-03-11, 06:48 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can i ask y u want to build ur stock GE for twins?

im slowly piecing together my NA-T kit for my spare GE engine looking to get 600hp so im taking my time
Old 01-03-11, 07:58 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Remember with swaps you'll usually need wiring harness work too.
NA-T is just getting the engine management electronics worked out,
the rest is bolt-ons and tapping the oil lines. You can piece it together fairly cheap. There is a thread on head gasket work on here that is good reading if you want to reach those power goals. Your standing on the edge of the diving board my friend. How high up do you want to jump from?

The more you learn about your setup by DIY and reading the forums like its the Qur'an the better off you'll be in the long run. Keep in mind your SC will very likely need more attention as a turbo needing tweaks here & there, paying attention to AFRs and such.

Are you building the car for her? So later you can get her something new? And keep the car for yourself? Ahahahahhaa! The jig is up buddy. Why didnt I think of that. "Honey... what you need is a turbo"

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE Swap vs NA/T Build