Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE Swap vs NA/T Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 09:09 PM
4thHorsemn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300_704
NA-T FTW!! only spent about $2500 max including everything, nuts, bolts, fluids, ect. and got myself a 400+whp car. as for the stock w58, it's been holding for almost a year (Feb. 11') of me abusing the crap out of my transmission and don't see, hear or feel any sign of wear on it.
I hope you knocked on wood before posting that
Old 01-03-11, 09:36 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm also debating doing the same thing. What would be more reliable, a stock JDM 1JZ/2JZ with a few BPU mods or an NA-T setup? I probably won't push more than 400 hp, and I'd be satisfied with 300 hp to the wheels.
Old 01-04-11, 06:51 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

@ kira ..its only as reliable as you build it honestly.
both are reliable if you have a good solid engine and have it tuned accordingly..
for your 300whp goals na-t is perfect..it wont cost to much and will be reliable very fun to drive and wont be maxing out the injectors/tranny etc

400whp on the other hand and your better off going with a 2jzgte imo
since the stock injectors/motor and possibly tranny can handle this power in stock form where the na-t will need upgraded fuel at the very least..either GREAT tuning, high octane fuel,meth,or running e85 to get 400whp out of the high compression motor not to mention the tranny will more then likely crap out at those power loads...
anything over 400whp you might as well build the na-t since you will need all the same parts to get you to that goal..so why spend an extra 1-2k on a motor
Old 01-04-11, 08:00 AM
pnewman30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@SC300_704

Would you mind giving me a number to ping you a call at? I'd love to get parts list and kit info that you accomplished this turbo setup within this range. This seems like a great budget figure.
Old 01-04-11, 08:06 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by imDementeD
@ kira ..its only as reliable as you build it honestly.
both are reliable if you have a good solid engine and have it tuned accordingly..
for your 300whp goals na-t is perfect..it wont cost to much and will be reliable very fun to drive and wont be maxing out the injectors/tranny etc

400whp on the other hand and your better off going with a 2jzgte imo
since the stock injectors/motor and possibly tranny can handle this power in stock form where the na-t will need upgraded fuel at the very least..either GREAT tuning, high octane fuel,meth,or running e85 to get 400whp out of the high compression motor not to mention the tranny will more then likely crap out at those power loads...
anything over 400whp you might as well build the na-t since you will need all the same parts to get you to that goal..so why spend an extra 1-2k on a motor
Umm no need for a gte swap. I will just put it out there and let the flame war begin. 2jz-GTE is a great engine and it would have been great if our cars came with it. Must people who swap to a GTE will abandon the TT transmission for a r154 or v160/1 and they sell for 100-300 dollars. I always wanted to do a swap but I started to think about it and I seriously don't know the condition the turbos, block, head, and wiring will come in. I know I would do a lot of the work myself but the headache of doing the cabling from most likely an aristo would be a pain and having to send it out and the extra cost there. I will say 600 bucks to get it extended and plug and play for the sc. IF the turbos are bad it's usually going to be an extra expense (200-300 for used) eventually we will go single and the cost to that is near the same to an NA-T kit.
SO ideal JDM GTE would be 3k w/ everything working and lets also say wiring completed. So if you are able to verify everything works you can get around 400 hp but also pushing the stock turbos close to the max and also limited with the 440's injectors. When pushing the injectors to a high load and turbos near max... how does that become reliable? usually problems occur when you run things to their max. If the turbos go bad will you replace them with stock turbos or go single? if you go single why not not invest that to a NA-T kit? because it's most likely going to make you upgrade your injectors to at least 550's from the USDM GTE. So unfortunately there isn't a 1 thing fix all suggestion because the unknowns that the GTE will have and the NA-T will have.

Suggestion for a budget NA-T kit: 2500- 3500 with the TT auto

Last edited by TLDriver; 01-04-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 08:30 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

...yea but you arent figuring in the cost to make a na-t able to take 400whp..
you'll need to lower comp. if you want it reliable on pump gas...
then to do a hg the right way will cost you a pretty penny..figure you'd get a entire gasket kit from xs on clubna-t with the tt hg thickness..theres 200...then deck the block mil the head..might as well replace other gaskets you can get to while you're in there..

on top of that you still are stuck with the cross over IM and a big dist.

im just saying thats its very possible to get a 2jzgte swap leave everything stock as far as turbo's injectors etc and get ~400whp out of it..also having a map on top of it.
with na-t to hit that you will need at least a new tranny..a thicker hg bigger injectors..

me personally i think na-t is best for me but i plan for a 300whp now car with 600whp in the future..so yea id have to replace everything that a TT car would have anyway so its obviously smarter to go this route..

however for 350-400whp it will be easier imo to tt the car..the tranny will hold the injectors will hold and the turbos can push that power..or you can buy usdm turbos for ~200 bucks..usually i see twin sets going from 150-250..
but regardless you will have stock reliability ..93 octane drivable car..

but if u want anymore power then yes id say just start with the GE setup...
Old 01-04-11, 09:13 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

^^ the thing about the manifold it is an eye sore but it will hold up for over 600 hp before having to replace it. The dist works and doesn't limit the power you will make. If you are talking about doing it correct... you would want to tare down both TT and GE get both preped for boost. For 600 rwhp you will have to upgrade the fuel system on both and also do some supporting mods to the transmission on both. The GTE and GE will both hold 600 rwhp without upgrading the internals on the head or block but if you want to say to do it correctly you would want to double check all the clearances and replaced the bearings/gaskets/rings/valve seals/ and so on on both. When you are comparing the TT vs the GE there isn't many huge differences on the block other then the oil squirters and the pistons. If we are talking about doing it correctly it would best to resurface both gte and ge motors and also replace the head gasket with a new one. So there isn't an savings there if you are going to put a TT head gasket on both. I am sorry but doing a TT swap and expect 600 HP from the stock injectors, and turbos isn't going to happen. Doing it correctly you should do the same amount of work on both. Ps a COP, FFIM and TT head gasket is cheaper then a TT swap. I am not trying to be a ***** or sell the NA-T but if we need to compare apples to oranges it's going to be one sided. So let's compare apples to apples and oranges to orange. None of the cost effective form vs if done correctly.
Old 01-04-11, 09:32 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go NA with ITB's like this guy :P

http://www.stancenation.com/2010/10/...-toyota-supra/
Old 01-04-11, 10:04 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't wanna spend more than 3k then i think the 1jz will be your best bet and is in that price range.

2jzgte installed will cost more than 3k, remember you will have to do some preventive maintenance.
Old 01-04-11, 10:06 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

@ tl..i do understand and agree to most extents..
but what im saying is if you get a gte swap and this is for only 400whp..not 6..600whp i totally agree with na-t which is what i said..
im just saying for 400whp i think the swap would be easiest..you would have to do more work to the na motor then you would the swap..you can swap a gte without doing anything..as long as the motor has good comp. and no leaks..then no reason to tear it open...

with na-t to do 400whp you're going to have to tear it open or do some other method of keeping it from detonating..

thats all i was simply saying...as far as IM ..you're right im not saying the crossover is inefficient at all..however is its a huge PITA to work with imo..
also dist. wont limit power at all..but once again it starts to get in the way when going a big single..neither which we're discussing ..

im simply arguing for 400whp..i believe the gte is the better route since all you will have to do is swap in the engine turn up the boost and your good to go..anymore whp then ur back to na-t being the better route for the cost.
Old 01-04-11, 10:24 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

No idea why people are urging this guy to swap a motor!!!
For 350WHP, all you need is a turbo and engine management, plus the supporting parts <wastegate, bov, pipes, intercooler.......>. The only difference between the engine in your car and the one you're buying is compression and crappy used turboes. Your stock compression is good for a lot higher than what you're shooting for. Hell, you can probably adapt a standalone with your budget.........
Old 01-04-11, 10:59 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

im not suggesting him swap his motor i was arguing with the other guy..if you read what i posted i said especially for his money is na-t

one question though madmax.you think you can boost over 400whp on stock comp on 93 oct with just a standalone??
Old 01-04-11, 11:23 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imDementeD
im not suggesting him swap his motor i was arguing with the other guy..if you read what i posted i said especially for his money is na-t

one question though madmax.you think you can boost over 400whp on stock comp on 93 oct with just a standalone??
I believe it's been done but meth was involved.
Old 01-04-11, 11:36 AM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

yea i could definitely see it with meth e85 or water injection.
Old 01-04-11, 12:07 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax98
No idea why people are urging this guy to swap a motor!!!
For 350WHP, all you need is a turbo and engine management, plus the supporting parts <wastegate, bov, pipes, intercooler.......>. The only difference between the engine in your car and the one you're buying is compression and crappy used turboes. Your stock compression is good for a lot higher than what you're shooting for. Hell, you can probably adapt a standalone with your budget.........
Did see his budget? 3k!!! unless he does all the work himself.

Why does everyone think Na-T ? it's not cheap if you want something reliable believe me.

3k for na-T installed and tune, he wants a turn key set it's not gonna happen.
1jzgte FTW

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE Swap vs NA/T Build