Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Harness extension question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-10, 12:52 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness extension question

I have read about patch harnesses for swaps can these be used to extend the JDM harness? Also does the harness have to be extended or can it just be mounted somewhere other than the stock location? It seems as though I've read that it can but I've never seen anything concrete about it
Old 12-28-10, 01:06 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What engine?
what Harness?
what year is your car?
Is it an SC? 300 or 400?
Old 12-28-10, 01:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

ive heard rumors that a fields harness can be used which will leave the ecu hanging on the passenger side, pretty much above the stock location a little bit (they said it wouldn't make it all the way). never seen it done actually though but I have heard about it way back in the day.
Old 12-28-10, 02:00 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

..i was curious about this too when i was leaning towards swapping in a motor..why cant you just mount it on the drivers side ? just make sure its out of the way of the pedals being pressed down etc..maybe a little higher up on the firewall or something?
Old 12-28-10, 02:24 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

The body plugs are the main thing, it's not even the ECU part you can leave the ECU in the Engine bay and heat wrap it.
Or you can just leave it hanging behind the dash it works fine for some people.

Their is not room on the driver side, when you do a manual swap on the Sc you will see that you need to relocate alot of the modules... there is no room on that side.
Old 12-30-10, 07:27 PM
Dai Kaiju
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer the questions I have a 1993 SC300 5speed getting a Soarer 1JZGTE.
Old 12-31-10, 05:18 AM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Ok kool but you will still have to extend the body side it's about 50 wires or less.
There is no patch harness for the body plugs.
Old 12-31-10, 01:12 PM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Running the harness through the driver side of the car is pretty half-assed. Do it right. Extend it.
Old 12-31-10, 01:19 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by hmhatch
Running the harness through the driver side of the car is pretty half-assed. Do it right. Extend it.
+1 Thank you, do it right or don't do it. It's simple.

People always tried to be cheap,lazy and half assed stuff all the time.
Old 12-31-10, 01:58 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

if it works it works..not everyone has $700 to spend on a harness..

me personally ive always done stuff right...i start off trying to go cheap but by the time i end up getting it i do it right..

but ive seen numerous people that dont have budgets that you guys must have to spend $700 on a harness and make incredible power and put down impressive time slips especially for the money spent..

not saying to half *** **** but if it works it works....you do NOT have to take the long road for everything to be "right" ..sometimes theres short/simple cheap ways to achieve the same exact thing...and if not extending it and running it on the driver side is one of those things and it doesnt interfere with anything..then why not do it..
someone just have to be ballsy and try..

i do understand some people are set in there ways and dont think outside the box cause they get in their head it has to be done this way..but questions like this is what makes progress...

go read some forums for 2000..you couldnt even turbo a 2jzge
2004 you can but u have to run a tt hg to get adequate comp.
2010 people are leaving stock comp and people who have stock 8.5 comp tt's are upping it to get more responsive systems

point being that people have to try the dumb/cheap/lazy way to figure stuff out...

ive always lived by the smarter not harder motto..but thats just me.
Old 12-31-10, 02:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I would use a 2jzge engine harness and a 2jzgte ecu and add all the stuff thats missing one by one. not a fan of extending engine wires or even 1jz ecu's in general.
Old 12-31-10, 02:52 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Originally Posted by imDementeD
if it works it works..not everyone has $700 to spend on a harness..

me personally ive always done stuff right...i start off trying to go cheap but by the time i end up getting it i do it right..

but ive seen numerous people that dont have budgets that you guys must have to spend $700 on a harness and make incredible power and put down impressive time slips especially for the money spent..

not saying to half *** **** but if it works it works....you do NOT have to take the long road for everything to be "right" ..sometimes theres short/simple cheap ways to achieve the same exact thing...and if not extending it and running it on the driver side is one of those things and it doesnt interfere with anything..then why not do it..
someone just have to be ballsy and try..

i do understand some people are set in there ways and dont think outside the box cause they get in their head it has to be done this way..but questions like this is what makes progress...

go read some forums for 2000..you couldnt even turbo a 2jzge
2004 you can but u have to run a tt hg to get adequate comp.
2010 people are leaving stock comp and people who have stock 8.5 comp tt's are upping it to get more responsive systems

point being that people have to try the dumb/cheap/lazy way to figure stuff out...

ive always lived by the smarter not harder motto..but thats just me.

Who said anything about spending $700 on a harness?

If look at all my thread i try to do something new and as affordable as possible, i know what work and what doesn't work.
I know to try to save money and when not to, i always try different stuff, had 6 or more setup in the past 3 years.

I had a 1jz in my car, spent $910 on the harness but realise that i didnt want spend another $300 on patch harness when i go AEM.
So i sold my harness and the 1JZ, and went Na-T.Check my Na-T build thread
wired up my harness just like a TT harness and when AEM, i can use the same harness on an Aristo ECU or TT ECU and everything works like factory.
I wired up my friend 1JZ SC300 using the stock GE harness and Aristo ECU and evrything works factory!! Why i could have let him spend the money but i didn't , why? because on the long run it will be better for him and he will save money.

I have always try to save people the hassle, and frustration but at the end of the day i won't force anyone to do what they don't wanna do.

Sometimes try saving money won't get you far, they only thing i pay for is Tuning that all i do everything on my own. I can't tune and i won't try because it will cost me more at the end.
Old 12-31-10, 03:32 PM
imDementeD
Lead Lap

^ definitely understand your point..also dont forget not every one is mechanically inclined ..or have daily drivers that they need back on the road as quick as possible..so sometimes short cuts are considered..

i just dont think these should be labeled as half assed/lazy/cheap people..

thats my only real issue with it..its a question i understand the answer but it does seem like a reasonable question to ask...since like said some people dont have the funds or the know how to do things like extend the harness....just something that kind of bothered me

either way its about time to start the partying so ..til next year
Old 01-01-11, 11:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah lots of people have found themselves in a similar situation of deciding which route to go. There isn't a simple way to use it without extending yet, i feel that someone would have figured it out by now, the 1J has been around a long time. I don't think its worth the hassle when there's a perfectly good harness in the car already, and they are both Jz engines so more engine stuff is similar vs body stuff. Just rip out the ignition harness from the 1j, extend those and combine with the 2jzge harness. Wire in map sensor and Iat and u can run off an aristo ecu and u get a bonus of running larger injectors depending on US or JDM