Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel pump not doing anything

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-10, 05:18 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump not doing anything

My fuel pump is not turning on for some reason dont know why. i've been working on my sc300 na-t for some time and i put in a newer motor about 2months ago. when i first finished and tried to start it i didnt have enough battery juice to crank but the fuel pump worked because i discovered a fuel line under the car/engine that wasnt completely tight thus a leak... so i know it worked 2months ago. it sat for the two months because i'm a parent and i have priorities and all lol but i dont think two months would ruin the gas inside or would it? the other thing i thought it could be was weather, i live in Az and its cold for Az right now this it was like 40 something last night when i tried starting it again to make sure my leak was fixed. my car cranks just fine but i cant hear the fuel pump buzzing and my fuel rail is not wet, so idk whats up. anybody got any ideas as to whats happening?
Old 12-19-10, 05:39 PM
cardwielde
Driver

Anyone?...
Old 12-19-10, 06:07 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

There's lots of info here about doing a "12v mod" and bypassing the fuel ecu, checking fuses etc.

Try starting here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
Old 12-19-10, 06:07 PM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the stock pump? If not, I would start with the pump wiring and grounding. If it is the stock pump, what other stuff has been done? The coincidence of the pump failing in the exact two months that it has been sitting is unlikely.
Old 12-20-10, 04:00 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by slappy96
Is it the stock pump? If not, I would start with the pump wiring and grounding. If it is the stock pump, what other stuff has been done? The coincidence of the pump failing in the exact two months that it has been sitting is unlikely.
its the stock pump, the only thing that was done beside the way i had it running daily b4 was injectors, i put in 440's from a 7mgte but then i found i out i would need a resistor box so i scrapped that and put the oem injectors back in.
Old 12-20-10, 04:02 AM
cardwielde
Driver

Originally Posted by good2go
There's lots of info here about doing a "12v mod" and bypassing the fuel ecu, checking fuses etc.

Try starting here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/search.php
i can use the search button on my own thanks. i searched the forums already b4 posting. i'm not looking to do the 12v mod or whatever, and honestly i didnt find much about stock fuel pumps besides the 12v mod.
Old 12-20-10, 08:11 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try the 12v mod first as mentioned above because it is a fast, simple, REVERSIBLE step that can help in diagnosing whether it is a bad pump, or bad fuel pump ECU.
Old 12-20-10, 08:13 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Did you try to start the car before with the low impedance injectors in?
Old 12-20-10, 08:14 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Unfortunately seems the only way your going to make any progress is to do the 12v mod. There is nothing wrong with doing it, and because the 2JZ and 1JZ use a return system on the fuel, your not hurting anything.

Do the 12v mod, its easy, free and will get your car back on the road..or you can spend $100+ on a new fuel pump ecu and have it go out on you again later.
Old 12-21-10, 09:34 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I would try the 12v mod first as mentioned above because it is a fast, simple, REVERSIBLE step that can help in diagnosing whether it is a bad pump, or bad fuel pump ECU.
yep
Old 12-22-10, 11:53 AM
cardwielde
Driver

well i did this 12v mod biz, but for some reason the pump never turns off. but i put it on a toggle switch so problem solved and pump is now working, aslo discovered mass amount off broken window glass under my seats... dunno how that got there musta been previous owners. and then my pressure regulator was clogged. but i just so happen to have 3 extra complete fuel rails on hand so no probs there. go me! car inst running yet but getting there. had a lil driveway fire mishap, drained some the gas that had gone bad onto my drive way but it was dark and the wind blew some grass left over from mowing which just happen to soak up 100% OF THE GAS for me which when starting the car it was back firing a lil cuz it still had old gas in it added to the fact that it just on the turbo dp right now that lil flame every now and again was apparently hit the gas soaked grass under my car which immediately caught fire FAST lol the funny things is all i could think about was the NO2 clip from the 1st FNF. where they're like NOS!!!! lol but nothing was damage but my oil pressure line thankfully, even tho idk how it was. the only metal thing exposed to fired was damaged but the heaps of plastic are all good. figures....
Old 01-22-11, 06:21 PM
ZPEED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@cardwielde how did u put it on a toggle switch? post some pic man..

Last edited by ZPEED; 01-22-11 at 06:53 PM.