Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07, 02:15 PM
L.A. LEN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One Of My Trunk Struts -i Bought From A Salvage Yard- Doesnt Have A Ball Joint In It.
Can One Be Removed From An Extra I Have And Put In The Socket And How Is It Removed?
Thanks.
Old 03-28-07, 02:26 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was wondering, i just installed my struts today and it seems that the ball joint will work with the new struts i got, whats the point of replacing the ball joint when it bolts on perfectly? are there any real advantages.
Old 03-29-07, 09:07 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk97SC300
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._BIN_Stores_IT

I bought a pair of trunk struts from that link- installation was a breeze, fitment was perfect, and the struts work great. It also includes brand new bolts and washers too. $44 shipped, and since I'm in so-cal, it arrived in only a day

-Allen
I put mine on yesterday, got 'em from that ebay seller as well. Easier than I thought it would be, 5 minutes max for both sides.

The old struts used to let the deck lid fall down if there was the slightest breeze to give it a push. Now it stays up no problem. I have to lift it about 10 inches or so, then it carries itself up the rest of the way.

-=Photon=-
Old 04-05-07, 09:26 PM
yakuza151
Rookie

i bought mine from the same guy, but they were like 2mm longer than oem? did you have to slightly compress the shocks in order to fit them in?
Old 04-05-07, 09:33 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Deja Vu all over again

Either slightly compress them or, much easier, you read the instructions at the beginning of this thread and learn how remove those bumpers that are keeping your trunk from fully opening.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 04-25-07 at 06:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kdllx470 (12-29-20)
Old 04-05-07, 10:44 PM
Pezlo
Driver

ya the bumpers are on the trunk "arms" after this its ez to put on, this was by far the easiest thing of done to my car and im not embarrassed to open my trunk anymore to change the CDs or put something in it.
Old 04-06-07, 12:43 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Installed mine with no struggling what so ever, trunk now opens after a 'lil encouragement, and stays open! Easy fix! 10 minutes per side if you take it slow!
Old 04-06-07, 03:17 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Default Awesome!

Thanks to whoever bumped this. I was about to wait until I take the car to the dealer to fix this. This is going to be my first "project" on my car . Hopefully it will come out alright.
Old 08-09-07, 11:40 AM
Havokk
Driver School Candidate

5 year old thread but still very helpful. Thanks guys for all the Info. Was able to heat up the driver's side enough to get the the bolt out but the other side was impossible with out damage occurring to the nut and the weld along the mounting bracket (it started to bend a little). So rather than mess up the car or kill my self unbolting it. I found it to be easier to carefully cut through the socket portion of the lift support. i basically cut thought the head of the old lift support and popped it off with no damage to the old ball studd. Seriously guys...be sure that you do not kick out what ever support you are using to prop open the trunk while working. while taking out the old support on the passenger side i didn't realize the stick i was using came out. As soon as i popped its off the mounts the dam lid crash down right on my back. Hehe it sucked but the job is done. Also my trunk doesn't open all the way up but i never expected it to.

Last edited by Havokk; 08-09-07 at 11:14 PM. Reason: To make the page less cluttered
Old 08-09-07, 10:14 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Havokk
5 year old thread but still very helpful.
That's because it refers to a car that is even older.
And the supports should open your trunk all the way, especially when new.
Did you take my advice and buy the ones made for a spoiler, even though your trunk lid doesn't have one?
Old 08-09-07, 11:11 PM
Havokk
Driver School Candidate

Sadly no because i bought the parts for the car before i found this site. It was when i attempted to remove the ball stud that i encounter trouble and so I resorted to looking for information on the internet to avoid making mistakes. Glad i did and again thanks for the walk through.
Old 09-17-07, 05:05 PM
MZSC300
Rookie

OK,
I have Carbon Fiber Trunk...it doesn't fit correctly with the supports because a) trunk is lighter and b) no spoiler. What my question is ...if it's a good idea rolling without the gas shocks...or a bad idea? Anyone have any pro's an con's? My hood is the same way, and I took the shock off too...fits well and works well...doesn't interfere with daily driving either. I would love for any good or bad thoughts on this issue of mine. Thanks.
Old 09-28-07, 06:46 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Default New Code

Does anyone know the most recent discount code for http://www.rockauto.com ? This would be much appreciated!

-Troy
Old 10-07-07, 01:03 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks so much Howie and Perry for taking the time to write this up. The most helpful parts were knowing I can just pry out old the clips w/a Screwdriver (destroying them) .. and I did have trouble with the lengths until I read Perry's note about removing the bumper..

I had no problem unscrewing the old bolts out..

I bought the ones from ebay and have a spoiler. My trunk now stays up when I lift it, which obviously is far more important than "popping up" ...

I wouldn't trade my spoiler for a "popping" trunk any day...

I had this same exact issue on my GS300...
Old 10-23-07, 06:21 PM
eskinol
Lead Lap

I replaced mine about 2 hours ago. The first time it popped up on its own, mind you I have a spoiler. The second and on, it needs a little help.

I have a question regarding the *****. It seems I had to unscrew the left one a bit just to get it to fit properly. I'm wondering if gas can leak through there and kill the shock completely in due time?

Thanks in advanced for your help. I'm rolling on Monroe Lifters btw.

-esk

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...