Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 02:07 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default whaddya know- a neighbor!

Sorry to hear you had to resort to a grinder, Mike. When I put on Arlene's struts today, her stock struts were on way tight too, but I discovered a propane torch softened them up in seconds. After that, I could almost use my fingers, it was so loose (but I didn't, 'cause it was still too hot!). I've since revised my instructions on other posts to mention that.

The struts only go onto the round stud one way. You need to be sure the more closed side of the clip faces inward- that's the part that will grab the groove on the stud. It will click when it’s fully inserted and locked in place. That is the first thing I would check. If the clip got bent, I'd try bending it with a pair of pliers to a more closed position.

Or you can always resort to some good ol' redneck engineering and file a couple of small notches into the top and bottom edge of that stud, then twist some coat hanger wire around it so that it stays in place and acts as a locking collar to keep the strut from sliding off. Or drill a small hole and insert a washer and cotter pin.

Let us know how you make out!

ALSO, for those needing a RockAuto discount code- here's mine, good till May 18, 2004: 8397394050

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 03-18-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 12:22 AM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but does anyone know of a source to purchase the gas struts from? My sister needs replacements...

Funny story actually. It's raining like crazy, and visibility is like 15 feet. My sister gets back to her apt, relieved that she made it, and then the trunk shuts when she turns around, locking her keys in the trunk. Raining still, cold outside, her cell phone batt dying, she calls me. I head over there and call AAA on the way, and they send a guy to pop the door open. Guy pops the door, alarm goes off, and locks the trunk release. We call AAA again, have them send a locksmith this time. We wait and wait in her apt (I have a spare key to apt), and we're like ??? where is he? I finally get a phone call on my cell, it's the locksmith company, and they say that the locksmith got T-boned on the way over here when someone ran a red light. So they called 911 and everything, and while he's waiting for 911 to go to him, he calls his company to send a backup guy to us. So here I am now, trying to find replacement shocks to buy so I can install them for her. And the locksmith is gonna cost $80 Well, at least AAA is covering $100 so we don't have to pay the full $180. But that's $80 that could've been used to buy the gas shocks

Well, thanks for any help!
Old 02-21-05, 02:02 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by howiedoit
For those of you who need new trunk lift supports, I just installed one and I took some pictures. I'm using the instructions that PERRYinLA posted a while back. It would be nice to have a friend help you hold the trunk or just use a stick...I used a bat

BTW, I bought mine at www.rockauto.com It came out to $23.25 including shipping for one.

The link to buy them was on the first page, thread-starting post
Old 02-21-05, 04:31 AM
CyberQuark
Driver School Candidate

Default Trunk Struts

AutoZone can order them, that's where I got mine. Other auto parts stores probably can also.
Old 02-21-05, 12:20 PM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Just got a set from rockauto. Changed it per howedoit direction. Took 20 min. Thanks.

Here is the latest discount code. Too late for me but will prolly help some of you guys.
Old 02-28-05, 11:40 AM
TWISTED II
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet. this will come in handy. i just bought my SC300 yesterday from a guy in texas, and busted supports in the trunk were just one of the many "surprises" i found when the car got off the shipping truck, lol. glad its not an expensive fix.
Old 05-12-05, 06:18 AM
bhambrook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the latest rock auto discount.

- When someone (including yourself) places an order at www.rockauto.com and enters your discount code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart, he or she will receive an immediate 5% discount on that order.
- The discount code expires on July 12, 2005; so don't wait!
Old 05-12-05, 08:52 AM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

I just did this this past weekend and it took about 30 minutes.

I purchased 2 shocks for about $32 from rockauto.com and it was pretty simple to install. A couple of pointers tho:

- you might need to loosen up the nut where the shock attaches to the truck lift. I used a lighter to heat it up a bit and gave it some muscle

- before you install the trunk shocks, remember to remove the rubber bumper stops. I tried to lift the trunk higher but I couldn't, which prevented the shock/ball socket portion from sliding in. Then I saw the rubber stop, took it out and the trunk was able to be lifted half an inch higher which gave me the clearance

now my trunk stays up and no more bruises at the back of my head
Old 06-04-05, 05:50 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Ok, so i purchased and received a SACHS strut from rockauto, now what am i supposed to have in the package? All i have is the strut itself. Is it supposed to come with its own stud/nut? Can i reuse the OEM ones that are there right now with the SACHS strut?
Old 06-04-05, 10:13 AM
ntran18
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, it's supposed to come with a set of studs/nuts to attach it to the trunk lid.
Old 06-04-05, 04:18 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm...seems they either forgot to include that with the package, or maybe they are no longer providing those with the part. That does not make much sense, seeing as that is what you need to install the part. I've sent an email to service@rockauto.com. I doubt I will get a reply until Monday morning at the earliest, hopefully it will work out.
Old 06-07-05, 06:30 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

WHAT? They said that they don't supply hardware with the SACHS piece, its only the strut which i paid 23 dollars for. How am i supposed to install it? I'll have try just reusing whatever is in there now.
Old 06-07-05, 08:21 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm...i got the ball stud off now, i cant seem to remove the old strut off of the bottom piece/bolted to the car. There is a shiny metal cap-like piece holding it on right now, but i cant get that off. any ideas?
Old 06-12-05, 01:44 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Done, and Done! Thanks for the instruction Howie and PERRY. Simple fix once the kinks are worked out. I think im gonna buy a second one to change the passenger side as well, even though right now its really not needed.

Seems rockauto sent me the wrong part first time around, thats why i didnt get any hardware with the part. Sent it back, and they seem to have credited my account the full cost i originally paid, AND sent me the correct part. Maybe they are waiting to recharge my card. Doesn't make much sense though. For now the strut was FREE!
Old 08-06-05, 01:19 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

I gotta do it guys... sorry. Kicking up an old thread. Here is my problem

I followed the instructions perfectly as said here. For some freaking reason, that first step of trying to get the nut off just won't go for me. That damn nut just won't budge. I have almost damn hear stripped the nut. I tried WD-40, liquid wrench, but nothing. No progress.

I was thinking about dremeling the plastic connector that connects directly onto the pivot ball of the trunk support. Any thoughts on that before I go ahead and do so?

Quick Reply: How to: Trunk Lift Support w/ pics...