Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto Tilt Steering Wheel Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-14, 07:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by JDisa
Thank you for this post! My battery died the other day and when I got it charged up the wheel was stuck in the all the way up position. Im 5'4 so this is not a comfortable driving position for me. This looks like a really simple fix! So again, thank you!
I hate that the wheel returns to the highest position after reconnecting the battery. One of the recent times, the tilt motor nearly died on me while getting it back down to my desired position (took several hours of inching it along), so I'm going to unplug the motor for good before disconnecting the battery next time. Once it's at the desired level, I never change it.

I thought it would be a non-issue after that near-death experience, but then the motor started working again and it returned to the high position at the next battery disconnect... Was also working fine for re-lowering it, so maybe it just had a bad day, or maybe my worm gear fix slipped a bit. I just wish there were a way to repair the telescoping motor as easily! That one doesn't work at all on mine.
Old 08-26-14, 09:21 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The problem I'm having is the steering wheel doesn't move towards me or back, it moves up and down fine, how do i fix the forward and back movement?
Old 08-26-14, 09:45 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
The problem I'm having is the steering wheel doesn't move towards me or back, it moves up and down fine, how do i fix the forward and back movement?
Mine's the same way, and there's been virtually no information posted about that over the years, as far as I've been able to find. I assume it's a burnt out motor (I was able to inch it along a millimeter a day to get it somewhat close to me, so I know the controls work), but I've failed in my couple of attempts to reach the connector up under the dash, to unplug it and test the motor directly with battery power. I think you need to be double jointed to reach it.
Old 08-26-14, 08:36 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Mine's the same way, and there's been virtually no information posted about that over the years, as far as I've been able to find. I assume it's a burnt out motor (I was able to inch it along a millimeter a day to get it somewhat close to me, so I know the controls work), but I've failed in my couple of attempts to reach the connector up under the dash, to unplug it and test the motor directly with battery power. I think you need to be double jointed to reach it.
mine's really weird, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. today i took the clam shell steering cover off and when i was coming home from school it worked. and i was moving it back and forth to maybe see what's wrong and smoke started coming out from somewhere

i'm gonna try to look into it more when i have some time, but for now i turned the auto tilt off because it rarely works and i hate having the wheel far away

Last edited by oldManTan; 08-26-14 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 08:26 AM
tanakamike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad I found this, I was struggling last night with adjusting my steering wheel! I know what I will be doing this weekend lol
Old 05-12-17, 11:57 AM
Stumped
Driver School Candidate

My 1999 LS400 looks nothing like the pics. See pic. Can anyone advise why my LS doesnt look like any of the pics posted? Tnx
Old 05-12-17, 11:59 AM
Stumped
Driver School Candidate

I cant even locate where the little gear would be, looks nothing like the other pics posted.
Old 11-11-18, 11:12 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write up. Unfortunately, I removed to many bottom panels and cracked some pieces. However, I can now drive my car and it doesn't feel like I'm behind the wheel of a bus.
Old 12-17-18, 11:47 AM
RSJSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks ScJz for the excellent DIY! When I tried removing the nut that holds the gear on, the plastic teeth stripped and the nut wouldn't budge. I found this replacement gear on Amazon.com and it worked great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JV4UWQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JV4UWQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by RSJSC400; 12-17-18 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Grammar fixed